Thread: CMSA Convention 2017 - In the Afterglow

Default CMSA Convention 2017 - In the Afterglow

I am sure that others may be able to speak more eloquently and/or more extensively on this as they may have attended and participated in more activities than I could but, with that disclaimer, I must also say that this event was truly a mandolinist's dream come true; from the music-making itself to the camaraderie, it was a sheer delight.

I cannot possibly single out any one particular joy and pleasure so I must speak more profusely than inclusively: seeing so many old friends, making many new ones, meeting folks I have corresponded with over the years but never met in person, being in the presence of such warm, collegial company, it all added up to a wonderful experience.

I am honored and delighted to have been this year's Composer-in-Residence and warmly encourage all players of the mandolin and its family of instruments to join the CMSA. It is as well run and as cordial an association as you will ever find, bar none; it truly works wonders in promoting the mandolin and its repertoire in America and across the globe.

Three cheers to all the good folks at the CMSA and all who joined us in Milwaukee this year! Special kudos, of course, go to all the local participants and organizers from this charming city; they made all of us feel right at home from the moment of our arrival to the moment of our departure.

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Default Re: CMSA Convention 2017 - In the Afterglow

Victor, it was great to finally meet YOU, there, after how many years here at the cafe? It's been 10 years since you wrote some songs with mandolin for me, so it must have been many years before that! I am still catching up on work (and sleep) after the trip to Milwaukee, but since today is a federal holiday, I am trying to catch up on other things.

The pleasure was all mine, Neil. I have fond recollections of you and the handful of other pioneers predating me at the Cafe way back when we first met on this forum. I had always wanted to meet you in person as well but things always seemed to get in the way.

Yes, my Seven Ancient Greek Lyrics were written for you and premiered around the time of the previous President's first inauguration, so they go a good while back. I absolutely love the performance of them that you have on YouTube!

It was also my great pleasure to simply sit back and listen as you played at the Open Mic event. I have boundless admiration for composer/performers and I enjoyed every bit of it, both the compositions and all the character you played them with.

Looking forward to the next time we meet, hopefully in less time than it took us this time around.

Cheers,

Victor

I wasn't able to attend the Convention this year, though my wife and I did get to Madison. So, friends drove me over Saturday for the final big finale. I loved the concert; and seeing Convention friends. It was a fine concert and I got to hear one of the visiting mandolinists, Alon Sariel. His Bach cantata was great: Bach movements with other pieces in-between four of the Bach movements.
    Nick Royal
    Santa Cruz, CA

Glad you made it to the final concert, Nick. Yes, there were delightful surprises at every turn: Alon's recital, the Open Mic, the program of En Masse, even the impromptu jam-sessions one would overhear just by walking down the hall. Good times, all around...

Victor, along with all the great music, I was especially impressed with your talk on the way we categorize and describe music. I am in music education (as contrasted to performance) and have done extensive writing and study in this area. I hope to present a paper at the SIMM (Social Impact of Music Making) Symposium next May in Portugal--just a week after we (the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra) plays at Zupforkester Fest in Bruchsal. I hope to communicate with you a bit (I got your email & card at Milwaukee) if my paper is accepted. The way teachers define, describe, and just plain talk about music has a great impact on students' conceptions and understandings. "Fine Art" music--usually meaning Western European tradition--is typically elevated above other musical traditions. Even in the mandolin world, I hear sharply critical comments among classical, bluegrass, swing, choro, and old time players about "the other" music. Your story of the Native Americans listening to Art Songs ("all the same") is not that different from my experience of 6th graders calling a Schubert piano solo piece "opera."
    And of course, I greatly enjoyed playing your wonderful composition en masse! Hope to chat with you again soon,
    Jim

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. In all honesty, I consider myself just a musician who is only occasionally called upon to speak about music— definitely not in your league of committed researchers and lecturers on music. But I speak from the heart and in rather blunt, uninhibited terms; I know nonsense when I see it. And when labeling music gets in the way of enjoying it, hm...

I hope your paper is accepted and that you have the time of your life in lovely Portugal. You are always welcome to share some thoughts with me, even though I doubt I have much to offer you in return. My email username is same as at the Café, at earthlink— that's a .net, btw. Music education is where it all begins; we've got to get it right at that level, first and foremost.

Cheers go to you, and to all music educators!

Victor

9. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

I need to make it back. I'm growing a little weary of being obsessed with day-job responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    I need to make it back. I'm growing a little weary of being obsessed with day-job responsibility.
    Don't I know... I have suffered from a nasty case of academic overpromotion: you stick around long enough at a college and, before you know it, you find yourself Dean of This and Chair of That— an administrative death-trap. This past summer I summoned the strength to administer the only efficacious medication: partial resignation. I have stuck with only one day-job.

But music is always good and in any dosage. I am booked solid with projects and commissions as far as the eye can see; to my own surprise, I get to arrange a lot of my own compositions these days, a piano reduction here, an orchestration there. My pre-mandolin, pre-Diferencias life has also caught up with me as my second of nine operas is slated for revival in Estonia next fall. Who knew?

Do come back and grace us with your company, my friend. I have been no less absent than you but, also like you, find joy in our mando-chats, however infrequent those may be. CMSA's latest convention was like a homecoming to me. I must now take the momentum and roll with it...

Cheers,

Victor

12. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Eugene