Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAS torture: decked out A-style or low-end F-style?

Default GAS torture: decked out A-style or low-end F-style?

I know this question/dilemma almost qualifies as a FAQ, but I'm considering buying a nice mando for my 50th birthday, something I'll want to keep for several years, maybe even until I croak. I have the opportunity to buy a new old stock 2004 Weber Beartooth A-style for ~$2200 locally or get an F-style online since there are none available anywhere near me. For my budget (low $2000s) I could only get something like a used Weber Gallatin or Gibson F9. I want US made. I've had two A-styles: a Breedlove Oregon and a Gibson A9. I've always thought I wanted an F-style, but when I look at prices of Fs... yikes! I've had the luxury of borrowing the Beartooth for a couple of days and I frikkin' love it! So I know exactly what I'm getting there as opposed to a sight-unseen online purchase of a used F. I occasionally go to BG and folk festivals and try to keep up in group jams, but mainly just play at home and GarageBand record with myself on banjo and guitar.

So... question: would you get a high-end (basically top of the line) A-style, or low end F, given my situation. Thanks!

P.S. I recently got a little burnt with an online purchase of a used Breedlove Cascade: it had some major problems that weren't in the description. The seller made good in the end, but it was a waste of my time, so I'm a little leery of buying sight-unseen.

Default Re: GAS torture: decked out A-style or low-end F-style?

Top-end A. I'd spend some time on Reverb/Folk/Mandolin ....and the Classifieds here. After a couple years of playing, and seeking, I'm pretty much convinced there are some incredible A-style mando's up for sale from reputable dealers. I lust over an F-style but, IMO, given your budget, the smart money is on an A-style.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Trujillo For This Useful Post:

You're right, this is a pretty common question. I recommend buying the best A within your budget, new (if you prefer that) or used. You may be able to get a decent used F in that price range if you wait and look around, but you'll have a lot more choice of really good A's, right away.

I love the look of an F, but I play and own several A's. The A's have a look all they're own, and to me are more comfortable to play and sound great if you get a good one. This is a question that only you can answer, but you have the ability to buy an A that you love the sound of and an F you haven't heard. For me I would jump on the mandolin you like the sound of as that is what playing is really all about. I play mine mostly because I love the sound of it and want to hear it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

A style, especially if there is one locally that you love.
    Just buy it and play it and don't look back!

PS- That is a good price on a new/like new Weber Beartooth A. Likely built in the Weber Logan, MT shop which was in operation beginning in 2004.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

http://https://reverb.com/item/67421...-1994-sunburst

1994 Gibson A 5L I have a 90' it is an excellent mandolin tone playability fit and finish are all top flight... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Yep, it's a Logan, MT "Sound to Earth" Weber. Its a little shop-worn, but just a few minor surface scratches. It is a beautiful thing to behold and hear. The Weber lifetime warranty is a plus too.

I'm glad the advice so far reinforces the way I'm leaning. I think I'd kick myself if I passed on the Beartooth. I like playing slower old-timey fiddle tunes and do clawhammer banjo versions of the same, so I really don't need a barn-burner F-style. I'm also toying with the idea of GarageBand dueting some classical pieces with my classical guitar, and I think an A-style is better suited for that, although Chris Thile does some nice Bach on his manky old Gibson F.

Blog Entries

In my case both of the F-style mandolins that I have and play came to me somewhat accidentally. Had they not become available at the right time for the right prices, I probably would have gotten A-style mandolins.

From everything I've read and from what I've heard personally by being in front of our band's various mandolin players over the years, on average a good A-style mandolin will sound just as good as a good F-style mandolin. Variation exists among all hand made and hand tuned mandolins and with either style the chances are just as good for getting a great instrument.

So then it becomes personal preference and the resources in the pocketbook that decide about which direction to go. The best advice is always try before you buy, but when that isn't possible, get something that you can return if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Now that I have F-style mandolins, would I trade them for A-style mandolins of equal value? Probably not. I admit it, I'm fickle. They are eye candy.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to get a boutique builder's A-style mandolin if I had to replace either of these F-style mandolins.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

11. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

If you’ve had the Beartooth for a couple of days and”frikkin love it”, it’s a no brainer to me. Buy the Beartooth and continue enjoying it.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Arakelian For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Best sounding and playing mandolin. The rest you can't enjoy when you're busy playing it.

I always think first of the sound. Eye candy is fine but if I wanted to look at a mandolin I would buy the best looking F I cpuld find and hang it on the wall. I definitely think they are better looking, however I own A’s because I can afford a much better A than a F.

I think you've answered your own question.

If you just want reassurance then here goes: get the Beartooth that you love!!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

17. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

1994 Gibson A 5L I have a 90' it is an excellent mandolin tone playability fit and finish are all top flight...
    I second this — I've got a '90 A5-L, too, and though it wasn't great to start with, it is now one of the best mandos I've ever played. It is a superb instrument.

What's the serial number on your A%? Mine's 0114129

Top of the line A. Buy based on your ears and what feels best to play, with the understanding that things like action can be lowered. The scroll adds nothing to the sound. If it did then a $350 MK with a scroll wouldn't sound like dead plywood most of the time. Hell, I don't even like using the scroll as a strap hanger since it leads to the headstock feeling unbalanced.

An A will, generally speaking, provide more for less, compared to an [I]equivalent[I] f style.

In your price range, id strongly suggest
    Playing pac rims and domestics, and, used.

A pac rim f may be close or better than a domestic a, given labor.

Smaller builders may also offer more than recognized names.

Fwiw, i have seen plain jane weber f gallatins, yellowstones, bitterroots etc. in your range, or close, which play and sound very nice.

Pavas strike me as most likely to make you happy. Collings too, for domestic As.

I didnt appreciate spruce vs adirondack for years. Now that i have guitars and mandos with addy, i think its a plus. In terms of guitar amplifiers, addy has more headroom and seemingly, for me, treble clarity. Spruce is great too, but addy is my preference.

Let me say this. As are great. However, if you really desire a F, you might give this more thought, as in the long run, you may decide you must have one. I did. I simply love the aesthetics. Nothing like an F in the musical world.

So, the difference in a higher outlay for an F's price at the outset might be a long term saving. A name brand may have greater value if you later decide to sell. Fwiw, it took me decades to accept what a good F was going to cost, especially with a perspective of guitar pricing. It tough pill to swallow, i think.

One look at the cafe's classifieds tells me selling a used mando has a lot of competition.

Folks seem to love thier eastmans and northfileds among many pac rim offerings.
    I have heard a couple of eastman fs at jams, and they are very good, imho.

Take your time and play. Buy and return if you have to, provided this is ok.

Sadly, youll get what you pay for. Mandos are not inexpensive, nor are they commonly stocked with many choices.

However, a fine mando rings, sounds sweet, musical, full, and plays beautifully. My first go was a gibson fern, used, and when it arrived, i was in heaven for seven years. Then, well, my ear had developed and i wanted more.

More, btw, is subjective, and often only slightly different. Theres a dimishing return as cost rises, but, imho, it is real.

I agree As and Fs other than shape, are equivalents, generally.

I noticed in the classifieds, theres a triggs a at elderly. As close as youre gonna get to a gibson A5L. Jim was the mando dude at gibson pre derrington, as i understand. Fwiw, I have triggs L5 archtop. Its top notch, and way better fit and finish. Dont think you could go wrong, but resale will be tough.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Nov-01-2017 at 9:31am.

If you still need suggestions, Ratliff CountryBoy is an awesome value from an awesome builder.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

If you are like me you will want one of each. I'd buy the best used A I could first. Then save for a F with a sonic footprint different from your A. The wait while you save for an F is much easier once you have a mandolin you really like.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Go with the High end A in my opinion. That one should have what you're looking (listening) for.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

This Weber Yellowstone just showed up in the classifieds for less then the Beartooth.........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/117010#117010
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

If you really want an F, don't buy an A because it's a better value. If you found an A that knocks your socks off and you can't live without it, buy it.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I'm scroll-free after having some good F5s. You pay a lot for those fancy doo-dads.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    This Weber Yellowstone just showed up in the classifieds for less then the Beartooth.........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/117010#117010
    I paid almost $1400 for an F Gallatin a couple years ago & thought I did alright (I am very happy with it). So, after watching lots of fine looking instruments in the classifieds & thinking "Great looking but, the $$!" Do you see this and think, "Great deal!" or "I wonder what's wrong with it?"

If you've got a good sounding Weber "A" style style that you really like - stick with it !. I like "F" styles as well,i have two of 'em - but,"A" styles are revelation in a way.You can get the same 'sound' from a far more simple looking instrument & one which usually costs far less. My Ellis "A" style is superb.I've considered trading it & another mandolin in against an Ellis "F" style,but i'd miss 'em both,plus the fact that i can get the Ellis sound from my "A" style - so why change ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by THart View Post
    I paid almost $1400 for an F Gallatin a couple years ago & thought I did alright (I am very happy with it). So, after watching lots of fine looking instruments in the classifieds & thinking "Great looking but, the $$!" Do you see this and think, "Great deal!" or "I wonder what's wrong with it?"
    Pictures can tell a thousand words but can leave you with a lot of questions. Looking at this Yellowstone it looks as though the f-holes have been altered, they look large to me. But then pictures can be deceiving.
    May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.

Smile Re: GAS torture: decked out A-style or low-end F-style?

F is 3 blocks of wood and a lot more labor time to do all the extra finishing binding etc.

But they do look pretty, when all finished..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture