Thread: Mandolin on a boat

Default Mandolin on a boat

I live on a boat cruising the Bahamas and eastern US. I got the urge to learn something new and last week I bought a Fender starter kit from a local music store. I realize it is a cheap instrument but I want to keep it in the best condition that I can. Right now I am playing it every day to toughen up my fingers and I wonder if I should be loosening the strings after each session. I have an electronic tuner and it appears to be holding tune fairly well from day to day but I worry about the effects of changing humidity and temperature, especially now in the fall. I would greatly appreciate advice on general care and maintenance for a boat instrument? Thanks!

Default Re: Mandolin on a boat

I am no expert on this stuff, but if you are playing it daily, you can leave it in tune and just tweak it prior to playing/practice. Not sure of your mandolin, but assuming that it is a laminate body, the humidity on the boat (especially in the tropics) shouldn’t have too much affect on it, but could on the neck, fretboard, etc. So assuming you have a case maybe you should throw in some of those dry pack things. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Oct-29-2017 at 11:31am. Reason: Typos
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

seasinger,

If you are playing it daily the only thing I would urge you to do is keep it in the case, tightly closed, when you aren't playing it.

I recommend good case with a professional quality humidifier that shows moisture ratings and such so you can maintain a constant humidity.

Something else to consider is the strings you use. Constant high humidity will quickly oxidize the wrapped strings if they aren't of the "coated" verity. I like the Mapes brand which you order direct from the company only. All of their strings have a very light coating.
    https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/mandolin-strings/

Moisture and humidity are your big enemies but if you are diligent you should be OK.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Or buy one of these and either keep it tuned like a 'ukulele, or get one of those special
    string sets that let you tune it GDAE:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21inch-ABS-...ujfZBO-u8PXDtQ

Even the tuning machines are ABS plastic - they say you can play it on your surfboard.

GDAE strings:

https://www.amazon.com/Aquila-30U-Uk.../dp/B005WFTJPK

Generally speaking, stringed instruments and moisture do not go together well. I'm not familiar with conditions in your part of the world, but it might be an idea to get hold of a hygrometer (they're not expensive) so you know more about the conditions you're asking your instrument to deal with.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Salt water can be mean make sure you wipe everything down after playing
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Possibilities include a carbon fiber mandolin:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...fiber-bowlback

or a solid body electric like the Kentucky KM-300E

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...ctric-mandolin

We are not talking about a Loar here, I would say play the Fender, enjoy the dickens out of it, and if something goes wrong that costs too much to fix, get another. A little care will go a long way. I play a weekly boat cruise and it is humid and hot, when I get home I leave my case open to dry the mandolin somewhat as it is not as humid as on the river. Been doing this for at least 10 years with an expensive mandolin and no problems so far. I realize you are on the boat all the time, but somewhere in your cabin it must be drier than on deck. I would keep it out of the spray and not play on deck unless it is a lazy day with no wind and most of all enjoy, enjoy enjoy.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Just play it and enjoy it. Plenty of stringed instruments do just fine in high humidity places.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I think the biggest problem is big rapid changes in humidity.If you're living on a boat, it's probably always pretty humid so it probably wouldn't be a worry at all.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I know we are discussing humidity as an issue, but with a laminate instrument I’m guessing that it’s not that much of an issue.. but I’m also thinking about set up... you mentioned “toughening up your fingers;” a lot of the less expensive Mandolins like fenders are badly in need of a set up... you can either have a luthier do this (next time you are in a port somewhere) or get Rob Meldrum’s ebook and do it yourself (I recommend the latter)... not only will it make this easier in your fingers, but a decent set up will improve the sound that your Mando will make!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

What about the salty atmosphere?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by tonydxn View Post
    Generally speaking, stringed instruments and moisture do not go together well.
    Yup - that' s why I suggested a plastic ukulele tuned like a mandolin...see below

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    Possibilities include a carbon fiber mandolin:
    I'm sure these are nice but that plastic uke sounds GREAT....and I bet it's a lot cheaper.