Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Level of Incompetence

Default My Level of Incompetence

I just had an epiphany, but after spending a bunch of time typing a bunch of nonsense, I decided to get rid of it. Sorry!
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Oct-29-2017 at 10:45am. Reason: Stupid post
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Default Re: My Level of Incompetence

I think you are probably being too hard on yourself. For every "front man" there is a bunch of people behind him making him sound better. The sum of the parts becomes something greater than what each individual part contributes by itself, IMHO. Nothing wrong with being one of the guys and having some fun, IMHO!

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Heh, time to sell all your gear. Whatcha got?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

FUN AND PERSONAL SATISFACTION is what it is all about. Last evening I saw Carlo Aonzo and sat there in awe of his skill. I have no delusions of grandeur, but a smile comes across my face as I approach one of my instruments.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

this is my first post, so don't fret over your incompetence...
    I've been "learning" to play guitar off and on for 40 years, and the only person that enjoys my playing is myself...even the guys I play with don't let me near a mic or amp (and they are friends!). I am definitely a behind the lead guy, I am fine with my position at 61 years of age.
    So, to add to the confusion, I've begun the quest for a mandolin. Talk about confusing...what to choose, where to buy, how to learn??? The more I read about how to start with mandolins, the more confusing it all sounds. And I haven't even started.
    If I live another 40 years, who knows I may actually learn how to play something on the mando.

7. The following members say thank you to catndahats for this post:

fox 

"Music is not a competition!"

I think Pete Seeger said this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Visentin View Post
    "Music is not a competition!"

I think Pete Seeger said this.
    Sure, nobody goes to contests and championships, adds a note to their resume or gets saluted in forums like this.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
    I've been "learning" to play guitar off and on for 40 years, and the only person that enjoys my playing is myself...even the guys I play with don't let me near a mic or amp (and they are friends!). I am definitely a behind the lead guy, I am fine with my position at 61 years of age.
    So, to add to the confusion, I've begun the quest for a mandolin. Talk about confusing...what to choose, where to buy, how to learn??? The more I read about how to start with mandolins, the more confusing it all sounds. And I haven't even started.
    If I live another 40 years, who knows I may actually learn how to play something on the mando.
    Where to start? I have the definitive and one true and correct answer. Really, just ignore everyone else.

Take a look at your bank account, decide how much you could part with, double that and go shopping.

Seriously, the above is only in part tongue in cheek. Save yourself some money in the long run and buy something that won't have you wishing for better in the next six months. For me this would be a used A style made by a luthier. Many can be had for around $1200. A cheaper alternative is a Master built Kentucky of series 900 or better. An even cheaper alternative is a 300 series Eastman or a Kentucky KM150, but I'll wager you'll want better sooner than later.

On the other end just go buy an Ellis or one of the many other fine mandolins out there.

I've never once regretted buying more instrument than I thought I should.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
    Where to start? I have the definitive and one true and correct answer. Really, just ignore everyone else.

Take a look at your bank account, decide how much you could part with, double that and go shopping.

Seriously, the above is only in part tongue in cheek. Save yourself some money in the long run and buy something that won't have you wishing for better in the next six months. For me this would be a used A style made by a luthier. Many can be had for around $1200. A cheaper alternative is a Master built Kentucky of series 900 or better. An even cheaper alternative is a 300 series Eastman or a Kentucky KM150, but I'll wager you'll want better sooner than later.

On the other end just go buy an Ellis or one of the many other fine mandolins out there.

Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

How do you double post in the same post?

Music is about enjoyment. Yes, playing is more enjoyable the better you get,but trust me, a lot of us have fun who will never make the big time.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

My enthusiam prevails over my incompetence almost every time!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Everyone is incompetent. It's just a matter of degree.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

I'm competent to a very small degree
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

19. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I think most musicians (of any skill level) are hard on themselves. Perhaps it's a necessary component to always want to get better?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Time to knock yourself sideways. Yesterday, I stopped into my local music store and bought Suzuki violin books 5-7. Might be fun on mandolin. Might be hard. Might be both!

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Time to knock yourself sideways. Yesterday, I stopped into my local music store and bought Suzuki violin books 5-7. Might be fun on mandolin. Might be hard. Might be both!
    I am fairly competent and play solo's behind several different musicians on stage. If you want to make me feel incompetent put a book in front of me. OldSausage has it right, it's just a matter of degree.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

23. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I am fairly competent and play solo's behind several different musicians on stage. If you want to make me feel incompetent put a book in front of me. OldSausage has it right, it's just a matter of degree.
    I’m just the opposite! If you ask me to improvise, I’m stuck. Takes all kinds!

I've gained competencies congruous with efforts in areas that I've been working. I'm wholely incompetent in areas that I haven't yet, and in still many more that I haven't imagined, yet. I doubt that I'm unique in this respect. I think it takes most of us hard work, but the work is enjoyable.

Desire to attain competencies can be motivational, and efforts enjoyable, and at times frustrating. It's a process.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Everyone is incompetent. It's just a matter of degree.
    Basically the Peter Principle. Everyone rises to their level of incompetence.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Takes all kinds!
    Thank God for that.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

OK...2nd post on the forum:

I know that you are right. A crummy instrument won't inspire me to try and get better (although it might not make me sound better).

Br1ick, you are right!
    I love playing / making music. And like others, I am my harshest critic as the original post implied. The guitars I own are way above my playing level, but at this stage of life, why not enjoy them.

I've been lurking for years on mandolincafe.com and recently signed up....and honestly I'd rather be caught playing a better instrument that sounds good in my hands than the other way around.

Maybe not an Ellis, but a good mando is the way to go (for me)....call me a collector, if not a player. I am fine with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I get caught up trying to learn some super speedy intricate tune, but honestly if I can play Old Joe Clark absolutely perfectly at a jam I’ll be happy. It doesn’t happen very often. Well, maybe it hasn’t happened yet.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    I just had an epiphany, but after spending a bunch of time typing a bunch of nonsense, I decided to get rid of it. Sorry!
    What I do in such cases is make it a blog post. That way it is not imposed on anyone. They have to seek it out to find it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My instruments are all better than I really need, but I smile when I play them and I enjoy them, and that's what really matters!

I feel the same way on a daily basis but then I figure no one else takes me serious so why should I.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.