Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Play softer, play better?

Default Re: Play softer, play better?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    That is one of the unexpected benefits of my resonator. It is extremely loud when played with accustomed pressure, of course, but one can play it as if softly and it can be heard quite well. At these "regular" volumes I can play better, more accurately, and faster (FWIW), and by the way, still have a bunch of dynamic range above and below me.

I could understand how someone could make the rez their primary instrument.
    I tried that for a while, but a big issue is that in a metal-bodied resophonic instrument, there is no sound vibration through the back, and a lot of projection out the front. So although you have more volume, you can't hear it that well and will still tend to play harder.

(I am speaking of irish/Scottish sessions where in addition to banjo, you might have to contend with accordions, various kinds of pipes, flutes and whistles, bodhrans and every guitar player within walking distance of the pub playing different chords as well as noisy punters).

The secondary reason I gave up reso and rarely play banjo is unrelated but is because of instrument weight and my back/neck problems.

I get on very well with nice wooden instruments these days.
    Bren

I don't know if this has been covered, but if you play out practice at the volume you need to play out. If you need to play hard, practice hard, or you will not be as fast or accurate playing out. If you can get by playing soft, buy all means that is what I prefer, but sometimes you need to play harder.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

playing "harder" means an increased string attack, and that will always require a commensurate setup that will not allow string noise, or worse if the frets aren't level (buzzing), which might also mean a level and crown is required (invasive) or increasing the string action (non-invasive), and perhaps a truss rod adjustment, and/or other instrument tweaks. really short scale stringed fretted instruments will have a much narrow range of setup capabilities, which is why almost all new ones require a setup for personal playability.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!