Thread: Most Efficient Way to Practice Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scales?

Default Most Efficient Way to Practice Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scales?

HI y’all,

Rather than constantly running through scales calling out the notes what is the most efficient ways to practice these scales? Thanks y’all!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Most Efficient Way to Practice Minor Pentatonic and Blues Sca

In the groups that they work in and with recordings. G C D Em A and Am for instance are the I IV V VIM IIM and IIm fo the key of G. So if you practice them in that group when a G tune hits you will be used to working these scales in that key without stopping to think. Which is what just kills a good break.... Work the keys of A, Bd , B, C, D, E, F, and you will develop your ability to play when you don't actually know a tune or song. Just be careful about being too repetitive.... start on different tones than the root. Play with streaming stations so you have no clue until the song starts what key or anything else. This will help your ear and you can experiment without witnesses ..... Enjoy R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I think your first goal should be the ability to find any note in the pattern instantly. A good way to get that facility is to switch between two patterns in a loop. Try doing this with the major blues (1 2 b3 3 5 6) and minor blues (1 b3 4 b5 5 b7).

At first, with two-octave patterns, I count “1 and 2 and” up to 8 and then switch. So I am switching every 16 notes. When that becomes easy, I count to 4, and then 2. You can do any number, as long as your switch points vary. Having a visual reference handy can help at first. The larger the number, the less you switch, the easier the exercise.

Next, invent phrases with each scale. Explore. Try making some phrases that break up the stepwise motion you have been practicing. Start phrases from each note in the pattern. Play both ascending and descending phrases, and phrases that change direction.

After you do this for a while, put on a blues track. Use the major blues on I, iii and VI chords. Use minor blues everywhere else. (This is a starting point. There are other ways to mix). Sweet Home Chicago a is nice, simple tune to start with.

Using both scales will give your blues solos more variety and interest. The Blues Scales: Essential Tools of Jazz Blues Improvisation explains how to use these scales together, and how to mix them with other patterns to get you into more advanced territory.
    Last edited by JonZ; Dec-18-2017 at 11:41am.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

4. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

You don't have to know all the notes by name,what's important is the scale pattern,,like the dots on a fingerboard diagram,just picture those on your fingerboard as you play,,just know where the root notes are and you can shift that pattern around at will..practice will eventually teach you the sounds that you make and what notes you want to play..

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

You can learn how the scales work over chords by ear, but it can be helpful to know the function of each note (the 1, the b3, etc.) Generally, the more ways you learn something, the better you learn it.

8. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    You don't have to know all the notes by name,what's important is the scale pattern,,like the dots on a fingerboard diagram,just picture those on your fingerboard as you play,,just know where the root notes are and you can shift that pattern around at will..practice will eventually teach you the sounds that you make and what notes you want to play..
    Good tip - but it does help to know your note names and fingerboard.

to the OP - why call out the note names? just play them...or sing them

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I used my kid's violin book which runs you through all the scales, major, minor etc.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Humming or singing the notes as you play them creates a connection between your hearing and your fingering.

The key thing is that ease does not equal efficiency. If you are blazing through the same patterns daily, you are being inefficient. Efficient learning happens when you exert effort, but are not frustrated.

14. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post: