Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you answer "what is that thing?", when playing a mandolin!

Default Re: How do you answer "what is that thing?", when playing a mando

I've always answered that it's a mandolin,,,I showed someone my F model once,they just stared at it,having never seen one before,this person was 36 years old and an accomplished guitarist,,I can't believe how many people have no clue as to what this beautiful instrument is..

Well c'mon, it does look like some kind of souped-up, florentine, les paul-ulele kind a thing..

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Yeah, I remember Sanforized, and Martinizing, not to mention Speedy Alka-Seltzer and the Cheerios Kid. I'm so old, that when I was born, the Dead Sea was just sick.
    And I have this drawer full of S&H Green Stamps. I was hoping to maybe trade them in for an octave mandolin one day, but the store seems to have closed, and few people remember it was even there....

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

This has happened to me at gigs so many times...

The person comes up wondering what I'm playing and when I say "It's a Mandolin!" and the reply is so often, "Oh! I LOVE the mandolin!"

In other words they're not sure what it is but they already know they love the mandolin!

Perfect time to be a mandolinist, por que?

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

I tell them it's a carrot or potato slicer. (Mandoline)
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

the Late David Hodson made Djangolin , its a Selmer guitar like , Uke Sized mandolin, so it's expected..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I walk past a One-Hour Martinizing every day on my way to work! They're alive and well in New Mexico (although the pronunciation tends towards "Martínez-ing"!)

Saw a woodblock print once called Angel With a Mandolin. Said "mandolin" was tucked under the angels chin, played with a bow, and left-handed to boot. Can't speak to whether the angel's wings were attached correctly.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I was in a violin shop buying a viola chin rest clamp for my armrest. I took my mandolin in and put the wood part on top of the mandolin so they would understand what I was doing. A young violin player asked me what it was. I told her and explained that if she practiced her violin so she could play well, she could get a mandolin and playing it would be easy for her because the fingering was the same. Her eyes lit up with possibilities. Not so sure about her mother though.
    I can relate to that. I always liked the idea of playing an illicit violin
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

From dhergert -"I tell them it's a carrot or potato slicer. (Mandoline)" Mandoline - You'd be amazed (or maybe not !), at just how many folk selling them leave off the "E" at the end,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

No one's seen me playing my mandolin yet - except for my family and the cat - but I think many people do have a concept of "mandolin" as opposed to "Irish Bouzouki", which certainly does draw questions (see my quotation below) because I tell them my bouzouki is an inflated mandolin, and they normally get it. If in doubt, some people revert to "banjo"because... well, they do.
    The thing is, all these instruments are related, so even if people do refer to the "funny guitar thing", it's not totally wide of the mark. You could just stick your mandolin under your chin and say that it's almost a violin - which isn't so far from the truth!
    So it's always an interesting question.
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Last night at the jam I told this one person it was a trombone.
    Maybe it was not completely wrong to say that, because:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim N View Post
    ...The thing is, all these instruments are related, so even if people do refer to the "funny guitar thing", it's not totally wide of the mark.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Then, Bertram, you are far more generous in your thinking than I am - or your imagination knows no limits! Well, as Steve Knightley says: It's all folk music
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim N View Post
    Then, Bertram, you are far more generous in your thinking than I am - or your imagination knows no limits! Well, as Steve Knightley says: It's all folk music
    Let's just, for a warm-up, prove that your mandolin is a kettle drum:
    GDAE-strung, related to the Irish tenor banjo
    The ITB has a drum built right into it and is thus a relative of the kettle drum.
    That genetic ancestry comes forward when you use your mandolin for chopping...
    Tomorrow we'll reveal the other branch of the family tree, reaching all the way to the trombone with perhaps a mellotron en route...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    although there was one occasion when I walked into a venue carrying my National RM-1 case and someone asked me "What kind of banjo is that?".
    Well, you can certainly understand that even a banjo player would think there was a banjo in a case like that. At least my National looks like a banjo. Maybe yours is in a different case?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	National_banjo_casesSM.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	161838
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Working on an offshore rig once, a stewardess had heard that I had a guitar, so she came down to my cabin and asked for a look.
    I pulled out my mandolin and she said, "Oh, it's just a little one".

I've had "Can you play Duelling Banjos on that ukulele?" to which I have a very good reply.

Usually, I just tell them it's a mandolin. By the time I've finished my discourse on the history of the instrument they're looking for the exit. If I'm so inclined, I play O Solo Mio or Godfather.

Twenty years ago, I was going through airport security in Damascus with a tenor banjo, after working for six weeks in the oil & gas fields around Deir Ez Zor (today the scene of fierce and devastating battles). I had been living in a staff house with a bunch of Egyptian field engineers and one had showed me the "Arabic scale" on the house piano (think "Miserlou" Pulp Fiction theme).

Anyway, security were quizzing me about what it was so I picked it up and played a tune in that scale.

"Ah" one said to the others, "Muzika". So there you are, it's official.
    Bren

I was a stone-age flip phone user until recently. I finally upgraded to a "smart phone" over the summer. With a recent software upgrade, it now has a feature called "Google Lens," where the software will look at a photo I take on the phone, and try to identify what it is. I showed it a photo I took last week of a cast iron pan on the stove with some Italian sausages browning, and it thought it might be Bratwurst. No, but close.

So I placed my Lebeda F5 on a neutral background on the floor, and shot it straight-on. Google Lens said it was a "string instrument." It showed me some close matches that were all electric solidbody violins.

So almighty Google AI doesn't even know what my mandolin is!

But that it got that close is impressive. Give it a year, and it will probably tell me that it's a mandolin and it looks like it needs work on the frets.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

I used to have my workshop in a craft centre. One day a couple came in; the man turned to his wife and said, 'This bloke's making barralaikas.'

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I dunno. The only time anyone ever asked me, I said, "It's a mandolin."

Is this a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I dunno. The only time anyone ever asked me, I said, "It's a mandolin."

Is this a trick question?
    I posted this when I was still a little peeved by an experience with a rude (not for their question) customer....in Montana most everyone knows the mando, it's been part of local music culture for a while. Flat Iron and Weber (thanks Bruce!) have been present all of my time here. So it catches me off guard when someone awkwardly asks. The person who started this, with their question at a show, was from Madison...a college town, that has a rich music history. Lots of major acts tour through. It's not far from Kalamazoo. Mandolin is in country music, rock music, on "Americans got some talent". It's not an obscure foreign folk instrument, like the mandola
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Same as Charlie. "It's a Mandolin"
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I always answer politely when people ask. If they ask, that means they are interested, and usually they say the love the sound. I have never had anyone be obnoxious about it. Except my band mates, who often tease me that it's a kiddie guitar, and when I master it, they'll get me a full-size model....
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I was a stone-age flip phone user until recently. I finally upgraded to a "smart phone" over the summer. With a recent software upgrade, it now has a feature called "Google Lens," where the software will look at a photo I take on the phone, and try to identify what it is. I showed it a photo I took last week of a cast iron pan on the stove with some Italian sausages browning, and it thought it might be Bratwurst. No, but close.

So I placed my Lebeda F5 on a neutral background on the floor, and shot it straight-on. Google Lens said it was a "string instrument." It showed me some close matches that were all electric solidbody violins.

So almighty Google AI doesn't even know what my mandolin is!

But that it got that close is impressive. Give it a year, and it will probably tell me that it's a mandolin and it looks like it needs work on the frets.
    I've never played with Google Lens, but I happened to be browsing through my photo gallery on my phone just the other day and noticed something slightly disturbing. When I click to see the details of a photo, I see all the usual info: time, date, location, etc. But it also categorizes my photos based on some sort of recognition algorithm. I did not put this info in there, but it knows to categorize pictures of my puppy as "dogs", and pictures of a homemade pizza I made as "food". I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this capability is there, but it caught me off guard that Google (or whatever company is responsible for this) is quietly categorizing the content of my personal photos. It means that when I take a photo on my phone, it is somehow sending that photo to a server where it can run a recognition program without my knowledge. There's no way that sort of recognition database could be local just to my phone.

Unsurprisingly, it did not know how to categorize photos of my fiddles or mandolins.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Modern deep neural networks act as classifiers that very much adher to the classes they were trained on. You can see how Google's Deep Dreaming (searching for dogs and birds in pictures) leaves my OM largely untouched, while rest of me gets thoroughly beastfied...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dream_a2324b97d4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	161940

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    leaves my OM largely untouched, while rest of me gets thoroughly beastfied...
    Well, who is surprised by that, Bertram? Seriously, if your instrument had more obviously detailed and visible wood grain, it would be "beastified" as well.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

My-husband-the-guitar-player and I went to a Halloween party Saturday after spending a couple of hours at an Irish session so we went as "itinerant musicians" because we didn't want to leave our instruments in the car. When I walked in with my mandolin in its shaped case, one of the other guests asked "ukelele or banjo?" ... to which I replied with a smile, "mandolin!"
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305