Thread: Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper

Default Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper

I saw Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper this evening. Once again, the Sterling Bluegrass Jamboree is an excellent venue, and the houseband was awesome again.

Anybody who gets a chance to catch this band, for the love of all things bluegrass, you owe it to yourself to see them. Michael is obviously phenomenal, and the entire group is stellar. Nathan Livers, the mandolin player, should be mentioned alongside all the others who get regular lip service around here.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper

Michael Cleveland is one of my very favourite fiddle players !. I was searching out a few YouTube clips some weeks back & came across this one - "Jerusalem Ridge" - Mike & Nathan Livers,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Ivan, they performed “Jerusalem Ridge” at the show. As you know, Bluegrass audiences tend to be a noisy bunch, but everyone was silent for that. I sat front row, maybe 6 feet from them, and the interplay on that song in particular was amazing. When introducing the band, Michael explained that he and Nathan had started playing music together as children and grown up lifelong friends. It was evident.

Nathan’s rhythm playing on that should be a master class in mandolin duet playing. The whole band’s rhythm playing, including Michael’s chopping, was incredible. I don’t know the title, but their last song was a barn burner with Michael flying over the top, and Jasiah, the banjo player, played the same forward roll with no embellishment for like 3 minutes straight. The guy is a monster player, but that locked in with everybody else and was almost hypnotic. I really can’t say enough good things about them.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

6. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

I’ve seen him a bunch of times- they often end with “Back up and Push” or “Orange Blossom Special”, if you’re trying to figure out what the last song was.

I think the best thing he does on fiddle is “Jack of Diamonds”:
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

8. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

Thanks, it was "Back Up and Push."

There's a video on YouTube of Michael as a child talking to Doc Watson. Look it up if you haven't seen it.

I think Nathan plays a Vessel mandolin.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Nathan is fun to jam with, will play anything - hard core, fiddle tunes, Dawg, you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I think Nathan plays a Vessel mandolin.
    Yes. Also EJ75 strings and a really worn out BlueChip TP60 if anyone is curious. His tone was unreal. Super fat and warm, super clear and articulate. Basically everything every bluegrass guy is chasing. The fact that he wore a BlueChip TP down to look like a TPR in two years leads me to believe the guy plays 24/7, as well.

I really like Nathan's approach to JR there - some nice adaptations.

If you like Michael Cleveland's fiddle, you'll probably like his mandolin playing too

Check this out from IBMA a few weeks ago

https://youtu.be/z79PNd2vZyA

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chopchop For This Useful Post:

I have a terrific version of ''Virginia Darling' played by Mike & his band,but at the time Jesse Brock was with him. Unfortunately,it's in MP3 format & there's no YouTube clip. Here's one though - ''Road To Columbus''. I learned the tune from this clip,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I had the honor of having dinner with Mike and the band before their show in Stecoah, NC this summer. What a great bunch of guys. They were all extremely welcoming. It was probably the best show I have seen this year and we're talking Sam Bush, Ricky Skaggs, Balsam Range, SteelDrivers, Special Consensus and David Holt to name a few.
    Out of tune and out of time.

One of my favourite Bluegrass fiddle players was Benny Martin. I first heard him on the very first Bluegrass tune i ever heard - 'Earl's Breakdown' played by 'The Barrier Bros.'',back in 1963. Mike has touch of that 'swagger' that BM had in his playing & it's great to hear - you might call it 'full frontal fiddle' - nothing shy & retiring in his playing !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.