Thread: My Eastman OM observations and question(s)

Default My Eastman OM observations and question(s)

I've been jonesing for something different to play recently. Was on the hunt for a Mandola when I ran across listings for the Eastman OM. Watched the vids, read the threads here. Found one today while I was out looking at new acoustics. I figure I can play the OM as badly as my Mandolin. So, home it came. Even brought a set of J72s home with me for when I decide to change strings. I'm kinda digging it as is right now, tho'. Not nasally to my ears at all. I'm okay with the looser strings, too.

The bag is kinda cute, too. Going thru the pocket I noticed I have 2 truss rod wrenches. Wonder if the other one they sold is missing theirs? Or if it was supposed to be something else.

As for the body. Well, neck dive comes to mind right away. It is a bit unbalanced. Plans are to add an arm rest. Definitely will be getting some brand of pickup installed. Not sure yet. But if I hang a carpenter jack off it, that should add some weight to the body. Haven't looked for a basket yet. Anyone know whether there are any that might fit it? And ... last bit, thinking of a cast tailpiece. That should help with the balance thing, I think. Wouldn't mind suggestions on that, as well.

In the meantime, it's off to the living room where the wife is watching TV .... for now!!
    Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Heritage H40
    Eastman MD615
    Eastman MD0305 OM

Default Re: My Eastman OM observations and question(s)

The Eastman MDO305 comes with a cast tailpiece. I put an armrest on mine and it works well for me. A little heavier strings does definitely make for an improvement. I love mine. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    The Eastman MDO305 comes with a cast tailpiece. I put an armrest on mine and it works well for me. A little heavier strings does definitely make for an improvement. I love mine. Enjoy
    Hmmm, mine came with a stamped tailpiece. Definitely. Same as the specs on the website. Maybe you got a one-off, or they changes specs. ??? Does the cast tailpiece help with the neck dive? What armrest, if you don't mind my asking.
    Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Heritage H40
    Eastman MD615
    Eastman MD0305 OM

Yes, mine is definitely cast. Look at the image shown of the one for sale at Elderly instruments, that's the one. I looked at pictures of ones for sale at other sites and they show the stamped tailpiece you have. They must have changed design. I like the cast tailpiece and it is very easy to change strings. I don't really notice neck dive. The instrument seems fairly well balanced to me. You can put your finger under the neck where it meets the body and it balances fairly well. Not the weight distribution of a mandolin you may be used to. The armrest is a McClung armrest and I recommend them, I have them on two mandolins also. Heavier strings is the ticket to a bolder sound.

Well, I'll be darned. I was wrong. Mine has that same tailpiece. So, it is cast, already. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess the size fooled me. And that'll save me some $$s.

I'll look at the McClungs. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wouldn't count on any aftermarket solutions for neck dive, other than a strap with enough friction to keep the neck from dropping. That's how I deal with it on my Weber F-style OM, which is also neck-heavy.

I'm not a fan of guitar straps that attach behind the nut, so if I had that Eastman, I'd probably install a strap button on the bottom side of the neck, close to where it meets the body. Like you see on many guitars. That's a good location for balance, better than installing it right at the heel.