Thread: Wm. Stahl Mando Bass

Default Wm. Stahl Mando Bass

This just hit the classifieds.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/116501#116501

Looks pretty cool. NFI
    Last edited by Charles E.; Oct-19-2017 at 9:15am.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Default Re: Wm. Stahl Mando Bass

I took a look at it at Bernunzio's yesterday. It's in need of some cleaning up, restringing etc., but appears structurally sound. Flat top, no induced arch that I could see. There's a retractable leg on the treble side so it can be played by a seated musician. John said it was "found in an attic,"

Don't know how he'll price it when he's finished getting it sales-worthy. Also, no idea if there's a bag or anything to hold it. I've never seen or heard of another Stahl mandolin-bass, and I'm not enough of an expert to evaluate the "Larson brothers" hypothesis. It's generally known that they built for Stahl, but Stahl sold instruments by other builders as well. A Larson attribution would, doubtless, jack up the market value.

Amazing vintage instruments do come to light periodically. I'm not in the market for this one, but it's sure an interesting find.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Allen: Do they still have that Fairbanks Whyte Laydie Contrabass Banjo? That was amazing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	productimage-picture-c-fairbanks-whyte-laydie-contrabass-banjo-18317-58979.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	161658
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Allen: Do they still have that Fairbanks Whyte Laydie Contrabass Banjo? That was amazing.
    Haven't seen it the last couple times I stopped in. I'll ask John next time -- assuming I remember.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	productimage-picture-c-fairbanks-whyte-laydie-contrabass-banjo-18317-58979.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	161658
    How on Earth is anyone supposed to reach fret 1 (or indeed anything up to 5 by the looks of it) on that !!!

Here are photos of a Prairie State mandobass likely built by the Larsons.

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prairie State mando bass.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	161663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS Bass Back.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	161664  

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I took a look at it at Bernunzio's yesterday. It's in need of some cleaning up, restringing etc., but appears structurally sound. Flat top, no induced arch that I could see. There's a retractable leg on the treble side so it can be played by a seated musician. John said it was "found in an attic,"

Don't know how he'll price it when he's finished getting it sales-worthy. Also, no idea if there's a bag or anything to hold it. I've never seen or heard of another Stahl mandolin-bass, and I'm not enough of an expert to evaluate the "Larson brothers" hypothesis. It's generally known that they built for Stahl, but Stahl sold instruments by other builders as well. A Larson attribution would, doubtless, jack up the market value.

Amazing vintage instruments do come to light periodically. I'm not in the market for this one, but it's sure an interesting find.
    that store gets good stuff occasionally and we have allen hopkins as our man in rochester! to spy for us!

9. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

Allen: Do they still have that Fairbanks Whyte Laydie Contrabass Banjo? That was amazing
    After some delay, I have an answer to your question. John Bernunzio attended a performance last night where I was part of the opening act, and I asked him about the Vega Contrabass. He says he sold it to Bela Fleck, after several months of restoration and setting it up. Finding strings that were a foot longer than standard bass fiddle strings was a challenge; they had to be specially made, and the first set didn't work, so it took a couple tries to get them right.

John asked Fleck if he planned to play the instrument himself, and he said he had someone in mind to play it -- possibly Edgar Meyer, John didn't know. I'd keep an ear out for upcoming Fleck recordings and see if the Vega shows up on them.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM