Thread: 12 string banjolin..

Default 12 string banjolin..

Hello.. I am restoring a 1920's Melody Major, 12 string banjolin..
    From what I can find anywhere there are only 8 string versions out there, this one was an apparent custome made.

I am looking to replace the skin head 10.5", clear - that is a question looking for input.?

I am wondering if I should use a mandolin or banjo bridge.. ?

The tailpiece is, broken.. Any advice on where I could get one made? I am in Ontario Canada..

the pic shown here is one I found online.. This is an 8 string vs. my 12 string.. Bbut identical including case

thanks in advance..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjolin.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	161614  

Default Re: 12 string banjolin..

The 12th Fret, in Toronto, might be able to point you in the right direction.

That's going to be one seriously loud instrument!

The new head should be no problem, bridge wise, a banjo bridge probably doesn't have enough room for all those strings, so yes I would think you're looking at a mandolin one - of the kind sold for flattop mandolins - not the adjustable ones.

There are surprisingly a fair amount of vintage 12 string mandolins out there so I would not be surprised if the mandolin-banjo was factory made tho I am not familiar with the brand at all.

First, are you restoring this for yourself or for a customer? Second, where are you located geographically?

If the skin head is working and has no tears, you might consider keeping it. Otherwise, if you are in US or north America, try Bob Smakula who has a large selection of banjo heads in all sizes.

As for the tailpiece, I have seen 12 string tailpieces for bandurrias (mandolin-like instrument played in Spain) but I am not sure those would work for a banjo. BTW mandriola is the name for the 12 string mandolins. Dave Hynds used to have them (pictured here), but his site says not available.

Depending on what is broken on the original tailpiece you may be able to repair it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you.. That is a stones thrw away.. I'm north of Ottawa, I will look into that..

Thanks for your input.. I'm considering making a banjo bridge.. I have the one that came with it. It is a banjo style bridge
    maple with ebony .. So I have the size (I am not familiar) not sure if this old bridge is a standard width or not. I was considering a mandolin bridge but have been warned it may dampen the sound.. :? I think this this going to be loud.. ..

Thanks Jim Garber..
    This "Mandriola" , thanks for that has a stamp with initials G.H.n S... George Houghton and Sons., with a lion ontop.. A stamp, branded into the head stock.. . With a plate on the head that says Melody Major.. The mandriola name may help my research now that I have a name I can google.. This restoration is for myself. The mandriola has sat in a closet for 30+ years.. I have worked on -restored fiddles (violins) and mandolins.. If someone wants me to work on something, it is them coming to me. I do not solicit work. I turn away any jobs that I feel are not for me.. Send them to the experts.. I am a hobbiist I entertain myself.. I do not claim to be an expert, I plug away and try to do things right. I'm rural, and a trip to the city for a small repair or to put on a set of viloin strings seemed worthwhile to tackle myself. And I HELP others in the same situation.. I don't mind tackling a job from the ground up - for myself..
    I considered repairing the tailpiece. It has only 4 posts to hang / anchor 12 strings. Someone made a wooden seperator for each group of 3 strings.. So- I think it's done.. There are some useable pieces, I am looking at that as well though.. Thanks again.. btw, I am North of Ottawa.. Ontario Canada..