Thread: Weber Octave Mandolin Case

Default Weber Octave Mandolin Case

Last year, I purchased a Weber Gallatin F Octave Mandolin that I absolutely love! The tone is amazing, the fit and finish are fabulous and it's just an all around good instrument. Here is a sound clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j0hoZ0pO3XI

I do, however, have one concern. The case is very awkward to hold because the location of the handle seems to not be in the correct location to match the weight distribution of the instrument. The body side of the case heads straight towards the ground. There have been times when I'm walking with it and have ended up hitting the ground because it naturally falls that way. Have any other Weber OM owners encountered this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? Other than this issue, I love the case. Has anyone purchased another relatively good quality hard shell case that fits an F-style Octave without having to pay a fortune on a custom built case? Thanks for your input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	161571  
    Eric Davis

2010 Gilchrist 5JR Mandolin
    2016 Weber Gallatin F-style Octave Mandolin

Default Re: Weber Octave Mandolin Case

An unfortunate design for sure. Since you otherwise like the case, maybe install rings for a shoulder strap (which should have been standard equipment on such a case, imo; why build such an ample device without providing sufficient means to transport?). Maybe find a case cover that will accommodate it...that's usually my solution when things go awry in this manner..covers typically provide ergonomic features that some hard cases lack.

I have a Weber Yellowstone F-style OM with the original case. Bought it used, and it's around 16 years old, so I don't know if it's the same exact design as yours. It does looks similar to your photo.

It's the heaviest case of anything I own, including multiple guitar cases. Just a wee bit overbuilt, I think. It's so heavy that I never use that case when taking the OM out of the house, so I haven't run into that balance issue. Instead, I've been using a Reunion Blues classical guitar gig bag, with a rolled-up towel inside to pad the body area for a good fit.

Sorry this doesn't address a fix for the handle balance or a case alternative, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a custom case built, or other alternatives for these F-style Webers. I should probably take another look at the higher-end/lightweight composite cases for classical guitars. Maybe there's something out there that would work.

Ya, those things are tanks. Perhaps Weber's intention is for storage only?

I'd probably look into a custom bag. But, he likes the case, so ring installation could be the cheapest/most effective solution.

Can you relocate the handle, so that it balances the case? A case that heavily built should be OK with the handle moved further "south" toward the instrument's tailpiece. You can peel the lining back if necessary to access the hardware holding the handle, and re-glue it after the modification.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Can you relocate the handle, so that it balances the case? A case that heavily built should be OK with the handle moved further "south" toward the instrument's tailpiece. You can peel the lining back if necessary to access the hardware holding the handle, and re-glue it after the modification.
    That's what I'd do. If you don't have the tools or confidence to do it yourself, most any instrument repair shop should be able to remove the handle and relocate it for you.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Thank you everyone for the advice! Foldedpath, I do agree with you that they are on the heavy side. Even though I do like the case, I'm not totally attached to it and may look into getting a Reunion Blues gig bag like you have. I'm usually not a fan of gig bags, but those are nice quality ones.

I have thought about moving the handle and was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that, but if nothing else works out, I would go ahead and do that.
    Eric Davis

If you can get a handle that is a duplicate of the original don't relocate, just add the second handle. Every night in high school I carried my girlfriend's bassoon case home. It had two handles. There were times when both handles were useful and you won't have to worry about repairing the place you removed the handle from.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

My daughter's bari sax case has 3 handles - so old dad can help drag it in to school at 7:30 in the morning

A problem you may encounter in relocating/adding handle is that it will have to be behind the "hump" which may then have the case dipping north. The correct balance point is probably at the hump, which may be why Weber positioned it where it did.

This started me thinking about my own heavy case, and wanting something more protective than the Reunion Blues bag. I did some looking around for hard case alternatives. I can't afford it now, but maybe at some point I'd try one of these carbon fiber classical guitar cases:

https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF.../dp/B005Y5TYCQ

Not cheap, but CF never is, and the weight is just 6.6 lbs. I'd have to pad out the body area with foam, which isn't a big deal, so the main concern is the big F-style headstock on the Weber OM. It fits okay in the Reunion Blues classical guitar bag, and holding it up next to my nylon string guitar, it's actually no wider than the guitar headstock with the width of the tuner knobs included. So it should work. I'll post here if I ever get around to trying it.

That looks like it could work beautifully for an OM.... and that's a decent price for a carbon fiber case.

Hey Eric - I have the same issue with mine. Have you looked into any of the custom cases? I’m not even sure who would have that capability. Calton? Hoffee? I know I need to do something about this issue myself, but I’m afraid to even get a price quote for something like that.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

I have a Weber mandola with a case exactly like that (just scaled down), and have the same exact problem. The tail end dips down and makes it awkward to carry. The handle is simply too far forward of the center of gravity. Fortunately, with the smaller case of the mandola, I can sort of choke up on the handle towards the rear and use my thumb to push the forward end of the handle down, which helps keep it more level while carrying. But it's just uncomfortable to carry for very long like that.

I have considered removing the handle from the D-rings, leaving the original mounts in place on the case. Then fabricating a new handle that has a bar which extends rearward over the center of gravity, but is still connected to the original D-rings. It would almost work like the carry handle of a heavy machine gun, if you've ever seen one of those (sorry, I can't think of another reference).

That's the only solution I've come up with that doesn't require drilling new mounts into the case.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Mandoglobal, I honestly haven't looked into any prices on a custom built case as I'm assuming they would be very expensive. I'm sure Hoffee and Carlton would have the ability to make one, but for quite a bit of money. If money were no object, I'd love a blue Hoffee OM case to match my Daley's blue Hoffee case.

Tobin, that's interesting to know that the mandola cases have the same problem. I'm not really sure I understand your solution. Do you have a picture of a machine gun handle like this for reference? Thanks!

I think Tobin's handle idea would be something like this, with an L-shaped bar extending over the center of gravity (imagine the heavier side of the case to the left):

Code:
      ________
            _\_

The mounting plate would have to be strong enough to handle the twisting force, and it would add weight to an already heavy case if the handle was strong enough. But it's one option that might work.

I was trying to describe it without actually posting a gun picture, since I know that can bother people. foldedpath accurately described what I'm thinking. You can Google images of an FN-FAL rifle for an example of a carry handle like I'm describing. It just allows the handle to extend rearward past the connection points and over the center of gravity. I think the mounting plates on the case could handle it, but it would take some custom fabrication to make the connection between the carry handle and the plates. They would no longer both be carrying tension loads; one would be in tension and the other in compression.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

What about some sort of Pelican type case. A local guitar player carries his Martin in a pelican of some sort.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    What about some sort of Pelican type case. A local guitar player carries his Martin in a pelican of some sort.
    Pelican cases are very protective, but the ones I'm familiar with are also very heavy. Not just from the thick molded plastic material, but because it's a rectangle shape that isn't form-fitted to the instrument, which adds weight and bulk.

I just took a quick look on the Pelican web site, and it looks like the cases that might fit a Weber F-style OM (rifle case) weigh in the neighborhood of 20 lbs. Pelicans are serious protection, just short of an ATA flight case, but like a flight case you pay for it with weight.

Similar problem here and this is an idea I'll through out there for feedback. How about installing an additional handle on the back of the case where it is straight? This could be located over the center of gravity and I doubt the instrument inside would care if it is being carried upside down. If I actually find a suitable handle I'll give it a try and post a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Similar problem here and this is an idea I'll through out there for feedback. How about installing an additional handle on the back of the case where it is straight?
    It is actually an idea I'll "throw" out there. Must check myself more often.

Thanks Tobin and Foldedpath. That could work, but because the case is so out of balance, the angle might have to be very steep to get the handle in the right position.

Hudmister, not a bad idea. The only thing that might be a problem is that the metal nubs where the the case would sit when set down would not be on that side (and I guess they could be added). Also, the bump for the scroll might make the case sit awkwardly when set down.

Thanks again everyone for your ideas. This thread has definitely given me some options for whenever I decide to tackle this problem.

I have that mando and case as well. It's a bit awkward, but it's also frikin bulletproof! I have no worries when I use it. Try grabbing the handle a bit further back.
    ever forward

Arturo7, I agree with you that the cases are quite strong. I start out by grabbing the handle in the normal place, but after holding it for awhile it ends up slipping back anyways.
    Eric Davis