Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman md 305a or Kentucky km252 artist

Smile Eastman md 305a or Kentucky km252 artist

which one is the better of two. I was looking at them on the mandolin stores web & they both look nice & their price is about the same $479.00 plus $20.00 for a case & 449.00 with the case for the Kentucky. so a $50.00 different's is not that much $500.00 or $450.00.

Default Re: Eastman md 305a or Kentucky km252 artist

I'm partial to the Eastman, but Kentucky can also be very good. Eastman has a radiused fretboard, which I prefer. The Kentucky does not. Still, likely a good mandolin.

You can do better on the price on the Kentucky from a shop that will still do a good setup. You could also ask The Mandolin Store to match it, but not sure if they will.
    Here's the Kentucky KM252 For $375 (if you sign up for the Elderly newsletter when the popup appears & you'll get a 10% off coupon for your first order) So $337.50, shipping included.
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-...rent-amber.htm

Add this case for $30 and you're good to go for about $370 total
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carrion-C...-Case/53320716

That's pretty hard to beat for a good solid carved mandolin, from a good shop.

Edit - looking on themandolinstore.com it says Kentucky has radiused fretboard. I'd call them or Elderly to double check. So while I'm partial to Eastman, $130 difference is hard to ignore.

PS- Here's a good $5 tuner if you need one
    https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner
    Last edited by colorado_al; Oct-16-2017 at 8:41pm.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'm partial to the Eastman, but Kentucky can also be very good. Eastman has a radiused fretboard, which I prefer. The Kentucky does not. Still, likely a good mandolin.
    Agreed, I'm partial to Eastman having owned a 815v a while back. The only problem I had with it was that the neck was too small for me.
    Also, Eastmans open up over time too, I once played a 315 in a music store and was impressed, then I came back a month later and was amazed. Bear in mind that the 300 series is just a stripped version of the 500 series with a satin finish, stamped tailpiece, and cheaper tuners.
    So my vote, the Eastman.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

+1 for Eastman... loves my 305... a sweet loverly tone and an awesome bark imho
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

thanks guys, so here is my next question. how is the tail piece ?, should I change it to a Morgan Monroe style one & the tuners are they all right ? & if you did change them what brand did you use with out drilling new mounting holes. an last but not least how is the stock bridge is it all right ?, or should it be upgraded to a better one.

If you think you want to or have to make those extra improvements you may jus as well buy a higher end Kentucky that has those "improvements" anything above a KM-900....The higher end Kentuckys are fantastic mandolins...I haven`t played an Eastman since about 10 years ago and then they didn`t show me much but I do see a lot of good reports on them now days...a lot depends on what kind of music you want to play...

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    If you think you want to or have to make those extra improvements you may jus as well buy a higher end Kentucky that has those "improvements" anything above a KM-900....The higher end Kentuckys are fantastic mandolins...I haven`t played an Eastman since about 10 years ago and then they didn`t show me much but I do see a lot of good reports on them now days...a lot depends on what kind of music you want to play...

Willie
    I agree with the statement above. 300 series built to a price point. Buy one and play it as is until you upgrade, and that upgrade IMHO should be a usedA in the $1200 range. Same applies to a lower priced Kentucky.

A 305 or a KM 150 is a great place to start, but I wouldn't put more money into one.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

If you are thinking of upgrading the tailpiece and tuners on the Eastman, you should just go with the MD505. It comes with both a cast tailpiece and better tuners, and the price will likely be in line with what you'd pay for the 305 and the upgraded parts. If you ever decide to sell the 505, you'll get more than what you would get for the 305 with upgraded parts. Normally upgraded parts do not really increase the sale price of a used mandolin, unless it is an addition (not replacement) of parts, Like adding a pickup.
    Usually, a stamped tailpiece on either the Kentucky or Eastman will work and sound fine.

thanks, but I also asked how are the tailpiece & the tuners & the bridge. I don't want to replace anything that is in good working order. plus I like a satin finish, I just want to know does it stay in tune with those tuners, is the tailpiece all right with the cover on or am I better off with out the cover on & how is the ebony bridge that comes with the mandolin, good or so so.

The hardware on the Eastman are fine. The tuners are not the best, but they will do. The tailpiece is usually good and the bridge, as long as it is properly fitted, is good. If you buy from themandolinstore.com, they will do that for you.
    You should enquire with them if they are still running a special on the Eastman MD305 for a free solid tailpiece upgrade. Not sure if that is still going or not. If you do want to upgrade the tuners, I'd recommend these Rubners. https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...lin%20Machines
    There are a bunch of nice sets for around $70. They are way better than the MD305 come with.

The tuners on the 305 will hold tune just fine. That is not the problem with them. Their problem is feel. They don't turn as smoothly and don't look as elegant as the higher priced ones, but tuning should ability is just fine. The stamped tailpiece will hold the stings just as well as anything else. Only problem with cheap versions of those is possible buzzing from a loose cover. You can usually fix those with a little felt or thin leather, or a judicious bend with a pair of pliers (padded to prevent scratching). Or just st p,any with the cover off. The bridge? Some say replacing it with higher g ace makes a difference in sound, but I just don't know. I mean, if the original s ebony, it can't be too awfully bad. I think Br1ck got it right. Just play it as is until ready to upgrade. That's what I would do.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

here's the deal I have a Martin 12 fret Mahogany guitar that has a satin finish & I must say it feels better on may hand than a gloss finish. if they made a 500 or 600 series with a satin finish I think I would be all over it, but they don't. can you but there cast tailpiece ? & if so were & as far as there tuners on there high end mandolins who makes them ? & were could one buy them ?. maybe this could be there next model the 405a with a satin finish for people who don't like gloss.

Tuners, bridge, and tailpiece on my Eastman are functional. No “need” to replace them unless you just want to.
    Chuck

thank you CES, that was the answer I was looking for. they are functional & if any one had a problem with any thing I just wanted to know. I love the satin finish. this mando is now on my hit list. now who do I buy it from, elderly or the mandolin store. is there any one else that sells this mandolin that is good to deal with.

Elderly and the Mandolin Store are both good to deal with IMHO. Go with who you can get the better deal from. (I have bought from both the Mandolin Store and Elderly, and had good experiences with both.)

thanks LadysSolo, good deals are nice but who does the better set up & stands behind there mandolin work if a problem should arise. that also has to be taken into consideration.

Agree, can’t go wrong either way. If TMS is still doing their special with the tailpiece upgrade that may make the choice a little easier...
    Chuck

Something to consider, and something I don't see pointed out nearly enough here, is that, at least to my ear, Eastman mandolins tend to have a more modern tone, and Kentucky mandolins tend to have a drier, more Gibson-esque, traditional tone. They are both good instruments (and not just "for the money") but just different tonally in my experience.

19. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

you know they both have there good points & I like the Gibson sound, but I also like the satin finish on the Eastman. maybe I can make a package deal on both of them. I will never be playing on a stage & how much more mandolin do you really need as long as they both sound good.

I've been thinking more on upgrading a 305, and if you want to spend $150 on a tailpiece and tuners go ahead. It's your mandolin. I found the tailpiece on my 505 to be a pain though. The Allen on my Silverangel or even the michael Kelly tailpiece are superior. Much easier to restring.

I also just bought a set of Stew Mac restoration tuners for an archtop I bought for $150, but the neck is getting a reset and the back has to come off too, but it's a project guitar and I don't care as long as it's fun.

But just so you know, there is a mandolin out there that comes to mind that has everything you want. Satin finish, good hardware, and it plays and sounds great. It's a Collings MT. I know, I know, but I couldn't help myself.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

$2,565.00 dollars, that a lot of mandolin. I may never be worthy of it in my life time. if I were to up grade the tuners, tailpiece & maybe a real good ebony bridge the 305 would be a satin 500 series mandolin & still far better than I could worthy of. also Morgan Monroe has a real nice solid tailpiece. I think that would just about 2x the price of the Eastman & that's crazy.

That's why you buy a used one for $1700, and you don't have to be worthy. If you had to be worthy, mandolin makers would go broke.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

24. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I used to have an Eastman 505 that I took the gloss off of. Some green superfine Scotchbrite took it down to a nice matte, and the following years gave it a really cool worn-in look. Opened up the sound quite a bit too.

Was (still is somewhere) a great mandolin (and not “for the money”). Loved the tailpiece, and the tuners on it were superior to what came on my Collings MT.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    That's why you buy a used one for $1700, and you don't have to be worthy. If you had to be worthy, mandolin makers would go broke.
    That statement is the divide between a lot of the people asking questions and many of those giving answers. To many of the folks here, $1700 is affordable. For the guy asking about $50 upgrades on a $400 instrument, $1700 may as well be $10,000.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

27. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post

Willie
    I always found Eastman's to be kind of thin on the treble end, without a whole lot of real punch. Played the 305, 315, 515, 504 and 615. None of them really impressed me in the sound department. Fit and finish quite good. Easy to play just not a mandolin with much punch to speak of.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"