Thread: Authentic D'Addario Strings?

Default Authentic D'Addario Strings?

I generally like EXP74s but for the last 2 string changes i tried the newer Nickel Bronze sets. Last week I changed back to the EXP74s but when I opened the pack the inner sleeves looked odd. I've attached a photo. I don't really remember but I'm pretty sure the inner sleeves should be the D'Addario branded corrosive barrier sleeve (or something to that effect). The sleeves were plain white with the string number on them.

I went on to the D'Addario Play Real website to check authenticity but since there was no Players Circle card inside I could not check the serial number. I emailed playerscircle@daddario.com explaining as I did above and including a photo and received a reply saying to check the Play Real section of the site and insert the serial number. I replied explaining that I did not have the players circle card but have not received a reply from players circle as yet.

The following day I emailed playreal@daddario.com with my story as above but to date have received no reply.

I find the lack of communication from D'Addario disappointing as they seem to champion the authentic product issue.

What are your thoughts on the strings? Are they genuine? I purchased them from my usual string supplier with whom I've never had any issues with in the past.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171010_103548.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	161556

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Authentic D'Addario Strings?

Looks funny to me, but I don't use the Nickel Bronze, so can't help you.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I would return them and try buying them from a different seller. I'm pretty sure all D'Addario string sets have a serial number. Who did you buy them from?
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Hi Paul - Have you tried using this :- http://www.daddario.com/PlayReal.Pag...8-f5106fd0219b
    You can enter the serial number on the packet & it will check to see if it's genuine or not.

Right click on the link - open in a new tab & enter the details. It's worth noting that D'Addario have been changing their string packaging. I currently have a stock of EJ74's in old & new packaging.

If things don't seem 'right', contact your supplier & ask him to check his stock. I'm assuming that he'd buy from his own regular dealers,but he needs to know if something seems 'not right'. He could be breaking the law selling counterfeit goods ?.
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

This is how the EXP74's are packaged for some reason.
    I have gotten them from 3 different vendors in the last 6 months, and they have all been packaged like this.

The EJ74's are still in the plastic sleeve.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't want to call the retailer before I got another opinion, I felt it was a bit of an accusation.

The play real website only accepts serial numbers from players circle cards and not from the actual packaging and there wasn't a card in my pack.

It's great to hear that others have seen this packaging too I love these strings but am still disappointed no one in D'Addario replied to my email.

Blog Entries

E-mailing may be the second slowest way (after snail mail) of communicating with a company.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Have you tried calling? I've had a few dealings with D'Addario/Planet Waves, and they've gone above and beyond to help me out.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

From Paul Brett - "The play real website only accepts serial numbers from players circle cards and not from the actual packaging and there wasn't a card in my pack." Hi Paul - If that's the case,then something has changed. I've used that checker in the past & i've never even heard of a ''player's circle card'' !. Oooops ! - i just found one in a new packet of EJ74's !. That's a new thing for sure. When the 'play real' checker first came out,there were no players circle cards.

Send D'Addario another e-mail Paul, & if they don't reply,send them another !!. Remember that D'Addario are a large Co.,not an e-mail answering service. Ask them if there's a 'batch number' that should be on the packet ,or any identification that you can give them in order to check the authenticity of your strings. If you can't resolve the problem like that,get a name & send the packet to that person at D'Addario. Depending on how old the strings are ie. this year,last year...,there should or shouldn't have been a 'player's circle' card in your packet.

I'd want to resolve this out of sheer curiosity - just in case !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.