Thread: High quality left handed mandolin

Default High quality left handed mandolin

Hi

I am a left hander and have been playing the mandolin since February. I play Irish music and have just started playing in pub sessions.

I have a left handed Ashbury (cost around £200). https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...n-left-handed/

It is a lovely instrument and great for the stage I am at now, however I can see that at some point I'll want something a little louder for sessions.

Can anyone recommend a company that makes really high quality left handed mandolins? Budget up to £800. I am in the UK.

Thanks

Default Re: High quality left handed mandolin

Most oval hole mandolins with a transverse brace can be setup to play left handed. I have a friend that plays a 20's Gibson setup left handed and it sounds great. Might be above your budget, but I would think any flat top mandolin would also be suited to a left hand setup. There are many that sound good, with good volume, without actually buying a left handed mandolin. They do come up for sale occasionally tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

£800, may not get you any local UK builders, but there is a Builder's Data Base on this site to ask each of them directly..

You can put a new nut and string a banjo mandolin upside down, and then maybe even be audible
    among the rather loud, Session Fiddlers..

A decent Banjo Mandolin can probably be had at that budget..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

A Flat-top lefty could be done for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    ...You can put a new nut and string a banjo mandolin upside down, and then maybe even be audible

A decent Banjo Mandolin can probably be had at that budget..
    That's an excellent suggestion.

If you ever drop by thesession dot org you will find a "what kind of mandolin for sessions?" thread gets started every week or so, and the responses always allude to the difficulty of hearing a mandolin at all in any kind of moderately crowded (5 or more players) context.

The inherent brashness of a banjo-mandolin can be toned down by (1) using single strings instead of double courses, and/or (2) putting a sock in it (ahem - no but really, search around the internet for "how mute banjo").

Also, George Formby.

...You can put a new nut and string a banjo mandolin upside down, and then maybe even be audible

If your not into sound of a mando banjo(not all are) I would try a resonator mandolin too, just as loud.

OK, you want to spend about $1100 US. Eastman makes many of their models in left-handed format; here are the ones the Mandolin Store sells. Trevor at The Acoustic Music Co. (TAMCO) in Brighton is an Eastman dealer; you might contact him about a left-handed model.

As mentioned above, a mandolin-banjo is "ambidextrous," though you might need to modify nut and bridge slots to accommodate left-handed stringing (wide slots vs. narrower slots). Most A-model "standard" mandolins can be reversed, though you would need to make sure their bridges are properly compensated for left-handed stringing -- and again, nut and bridge slots. You're currently playing an Ashbury A-model, probably the one that Hobgoblin sells, so you might not be as pleased with the mandolin-banjo sound, though I do agree that you'd certainly "hold your own" in a Celtic jam.

And, George Formby played a ukulele-banjo, I believe; don't know that he was a mandolinist.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen beat me to it, call Trevor at the Acoustic Music Co. He seems to have the best selection in the UK and from his posts here, seems to be a really nice person.

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...luithers-.html
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    And, George Formby played a ukulele-banjo, I believe; don't know that he was a mandolinist.
    Yeah, I know. But in 1736 King James XIX decreed that "any mention of banjos or banjo-related instruments circulated within Our royal dominions shall include a reference to George Formby, on penalty of being made to attend a Manchester City match clad as a Manchester United supporter."

Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be brought up on charges if I ever revisit the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Allen beat me to it, call Trevor at the Acoustic Music Co. He seems to have the best selection in the UK and from his posts here, seems to be a really nice person.

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...luithers-.html
    Bet Trevor could order you a lefty Eastman MD504 which I think would be great for that

11. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

G7MOF 

Any A style mandolin can be setup as a left handed instrument with a new nut and bridge. You won't have the side dots on the top they will be on the bottom and before anyone even goes there, the sound bar position inside won't make a difference anyone can hear. Don't just reverse the top of the bridge as the intonation will be off. Adding side dots isn't all that tough either. If you find a decent A style mandolin that sounds good to you for a price you want to pay consider having a luthier do the transition. This has been discussed here for years.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

You might contact Dave Hynds and see if he has anything for you
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

I would second the LH Eastman 504. I thoroughly enjoy my 404.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

I bought a Kentucky KM 950 & got it converted lefty. Sure you'd find a nearly new one for £800
    2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin (on order)
    2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
    2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
    2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
    2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
    2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
    2008 Fender Telecaster

16. The following members say thank you to Lefty Guy for this post:

Just showed up in the classifieds........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/116705#116705

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. A couple of friends have also suggested a banjo mandolin. I think I'd have to give one a try. Also tempted by an Eastman as most of you seem to think it would hold its own in a session.

I need to sell a right handed octave mandola first, which I never got the hang of playing, I'll then be ready to start looking for a new mandolin!