Thread: bending lacewood

Default bending lacewood

I'm making a back plate out of lacewood and thought to form the rim out of the same stuff.. I started with the hardest part , but every time I get almost tight enough with the curve, the darn thing breaks across the grain.. Tried doing it in stages, and used foil, but just not working.. anyone tried bending lacewood with any success, or am I going to have to use something different ??????
    kterry

Default Re: bending lacewood

How thick is the wood? Thinner wood is easier to bend.

the slats are .080 .. I even tried to sand down to .050 and it would bend almost to the shape of the scroll, but the last few and it would break every time.. started out with 42in slats and used up almost all of it.. very experienced doing figured maple but this stuff just won't go.. thought it would look cool with rim and back the same... anyone try?????
    kterry

If it won't bend at .05 it probably isn't going to. Unfortunately my experience with lacewood is limited to bindings on guitars, which didn't have that tight a bend. Should also point out that I'm in UK and 'lacewood' may mean something different here (ours comes from plane trees - Platanus).

If you are really determined you could get hold of some veneer and try building up laminated sides. Good luck . . .

I second the idea of veneer and lamentations. Check out classical guitar maker J.S. Bogdanovich. He wrote a book on making classical guitars and has a web site. All of his sides are laminated. https://www.jsbguitars.com/learn-gui...es/laminating/
    Rob

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

It's not mandolin related, but I made one lacewood whistle, and the stuff was a pain in the butt to work with. It was very grainy and super brittle. I ruined a couple on the lathe before I was finally able to complete one. I'd suggest finding a nice complementary wood for your rim.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I guess I will use figured maple for the rim and neck.. I'll use the lacewood slats for filler in a three piece neck to tie it all together.. guess binding choices will have to wait till it's mostly put together...
    kterry

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by buckhorn View Post
    I guess I will use figured maple for the rim and neck.. I'll use the lacewood slats for filler in a three piece neck to tie it all together.. guess binding choices will have to wait till it's mostly put together...
    You can try veneer softener. I think it's called "super soft". Or you can try what I suggested month or so ago, temporarily gluing a layer or two of fiberglass tape to the outside with HHG and bend with minimal moisture just on inside of the bend. With this I was able to bend curly maple of just about rib thickness dry and cold to almost 2" diameter... I guess this could help to prevent cracks on the outside...
    I don't remember title of the thread... ah here it is:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...723-Nasty-idea
    Adrian