Thread: What do you thinkof these frets?

Default What do you thinkof these frets?

I just changed out the tuners on my MF.
    With all the strings off, these grooves were much easier to see.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171015_134546_001.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	161538
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Default Re: What do you thinkof these frets?

Not bad, sometimes for something like this I will simply run a crowing file on the dented frets to make the dents narrower, without changing height. If it is playing without problems it keeps from leveling the frets when the rest don't need it, and shortening the life of the frets.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

How does it play? I suspect that if you didn't know how grooved they were there wasn't a problem and you can hold off on a fret leveling.

5. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Mine get a WHOLE lot more worn before I even think about refretting.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I keep a crowning file and do as pops1 said anytime I notice much growing. The frets brad (spread out) as well asgroveand the crowning removes the brad and restores the fret to proper width.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I keep a crowning file and do as pops1 said anytime I notice much growing. The frets brad (spread out) as well asgroveand the crowning removes the brad and restores the fret to proper width.
    Since the compression of the fret makes it more dense, I feel it will wear less leaving it. A level takes off material on frets that don't need it and get you to new material on the frets that were dented and are now not as dense. I may be wrong about this, but a blacksmith will hammer a piece to make it denser/stronger, the string hammering against the fret is similar, so making the groove narrower without lowering it may possibly help the fret to last longer.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Looking at your frets, crowning and dressing may be all you need at this point. You'll know when your frets are too worn by whether you can make clear notes on them.

But, if you're going to re-fret completely, I'd highly recommend looking into Evo gold frets. My F-9 was re-fretted using these and I've been really happy with the work. I'll have the same done on my main playing banjos when the time comes.

Evo frets are a copper alloy (with no nickel) and possess a Vicker's hardness of HV5/250 compared to nickle silver at HV5/200 and stainless at HV5/300. Evo frets can be worked with standard fret tools. I find the tone brightness match with Evo frets to be nearly the same as a bone nut, so there's not a huge difference in sound from open strings to fretted strings.

Also from personal experience, even on a neck as short as a mandolin, leveling the fingerboard before re-fretting makes a real playing improvement.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

13. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Russ---I am checking out your favored chord selection. Do you tend to play in the key of G?

Russ - The frets on both my Weber & Lebeda mandolins look just the same as the ones in your pic.,but both mandolins play perfectly well. When they don't,they'll be re-fretted,but not before - as you guys say - "If it ain't broke .....!",
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

16. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

And I would suggest going with EVO or stainless steel for the next re-fret. I'm 2.5 years into my EVO wire and there is nary a mark on any fret. The previous fret job lasted < 1 year, on wire that looked like the pic above.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pelone View Post
    Russ---I am checking out your favored chord selection. Do you tend to play in the key of G?
    Ayuh...its also the key where my playing partners are most comfortable to sing.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Thanks for the thread with pic. When trying to read up on this before to decide how bad mine were, it was hard to find a discussion with pics. I started worrying about it around the same level of wear as your pic and have played quite a bit for about 6 months since then. It's time for it to be done soon for me now. Will likely get some EVO thrown in there, just a question of how many frets to do if not all of them.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

21. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Thanks for posting that picture. I was starting to worry about my instruments' frets which are showing what I thought was a fair amount of wear, although they still play well. Seeing yours makes me feel a lot better about mine.
    If your mandolin is still playing OK, I'd say don't fret about it.
    (somebody had to say it)
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

23. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Since the compression of the fret makes it more dense, I feel it will wear less leaving it. A level takes off material on frets that don't need it and get you to new material on the frets that were dented and are now not as dense. I may be wrong about this, but a blacksmith will hammer a piece to make it denser/stronger, the string hammering against the fret is similar, so making the groove narrower without lowering it may possibly help the fret to last longer.
    I don’t know if it will make frets last longer to leave the grove alone, if you don’t try to remove the grove depth wise just bring the fret back to its original width I don’t think it will affect the longevity. But to me it reduces some other problems, intonation, movement of hands on board, etc.

25. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

One thing that I have found when frets get worn like these are is that if and when you remove the bridge and then reinstall it if you don`t line it up exactly where it was as far as top to bottom then when you press down on the strings they will slide into the fret grooves and go sharp and the intonation will be off and drive a person crazy trying to figure out what is wrong...I have found this on a few mandolins where I was installing a new bridge with the slots not having exactly the same spaceing as the old bridge had..

I hope I explained this OK, A few folks have brought mandolins to me for a set up and that is all that was wrong with them, I try to make sure the bridge is centered before I do anything else to it...I try not to let my fret grooves get any deeper than these that are shown in the photo, dressing them isn`t all that hard to do if you just take your time...

Willie

Willie

27. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    ... It's time for it to be done soon for me now. Will likely get some EVO thrown in there, just a question of how many frets to do if not all of them.
    Drew, if you do go with Evo Gold frets for a partial refret, be aware that the Evo Gold frets do really look gold, so they will look different in color than nickle-silver frets. If your tolerance of that kind of visual difference is strong, a partial Evo Gold refret might be ok for you. Otherwise if you really want Evo Gold frets, you may want to do a complete re-fret using them.

There are lots of online references to people's experiences with Evo Gold frets, and comparing them with nickle-silver and stainless steel for longevity. I'm sold on Evo, but I've only had about 6 months of real experience with them.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

29. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

If you leave them alone, soon enough your mandolin will tell you it's time for a level and recrown. You will buzz. This just happened with my Silverangel. I leveled and recrowned the frets with great results. Very rewarding. Recouped the cost of the files easily, with my first fret level, so the last five were free.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

31. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post: