Thread: Uke to Tenor

Default Uke to Tenor

Hi all, what's the up to date wisdom on converting a ukulele to a GDAE (low G to high E, aka Irish tuning) tenor guitar? A soprano, tenor, concert, baritone? I've got my Ibanez tenor at the moment but at 23" scale length my fingers just aren't stretching like they should. Mandolin is a little cramped and I like the simplicity of four strings.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Uke to Tenor

Do you want to use steel strings?
    For GDAE on a baritone with nylon strings try .28p .24w .36w .50w
    You can take a chance with steel strings on a baritone. 13p 20w 32w 48w will sound great but might pull the glued bridge plate off or distort the neck or dislodge the neck joint. However most ukuleles will be overbuilt & it might last quite well, years even or it might not!
    You are pretty safe with up to 60lb of tension on a well made baritone but you really need 75-80lb for steel strings to feel & sound right.
    For the smaller size ukuleles there are 5th tuning string sets available in nylon.

I'm okay with nylon strings. I played a tenor sized ukulele and a concert size recently. Is one better than the other for GDAE?

I think a baritone would be better than a tenor uke for octave mandolin GDAE, tenor ukuleles are better for mandola CGDA and sopranos for mandolin GDAE. For my baritone tuned GDAE I followed the instructions in this post, seems to work well enough for me at least.

Good to know. I'll need to try the baritone again and see if that's enough of a difference for my left hand. A little difficult since you can't really swap strings and tune it up without buying it first!

Buy a mandola?

Dumb question probably, but can a mandola be tuned to GDAE?

I guess the better way to phrase my original question is, what is the easiest way to acquire a four string, GDAE-tuned, 16”-19” scale acoustic instrument that can be played with a pick?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

No, not easily anyway, but you might get away with mandolin string gauges if the mandola had a 15" scale or you might get away with octave mandolin strings if the mandola had a 19" scale!
    Generally speaking 17" scale mandolas are tuned CGDA, that is what they are designed for.
    I am sure some folk have done it but you would need a .60 or larger for the G.

I just ordered a set of Aquila 31U strings to put on a tenor chambered electric ukulele so I'll have something a little quieter to play while my wife watches the tube. The strings are supposed to fir a concert uke but a fellow on ukulele underground said they work on his tenor. It will be CGDA but that's OK.

There is some variety of scale lengths in baritone ukuleles, my old Vega Arthur Godfrey one is 19" and I keep it tuned GDAE. These can occasionally be found for under $200; there are probably other shorter scale baritone ukuleles available as well. The Makala MK-B which is probably the most readily available decent baritone ukulele has a 20.25" scale length.

My Stromberg-Voisinet tuned GDAE, 22" scale with 12 18 30 46 steel strings. It fits nicely in a baritone uke TKL gig-bag. I would also think a baritone uke would be the best.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Actually a mandola can be tuned to GDAE, and European ones generally are in mandolin orchestras. I have a 17" bowlback tuned that way that gets played quite a lot.

Fox is right you do end up with thick G strings but quite a few European string manufacturers make sets for short scale Octaves, 17" is about the norm.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

The Aquila strings arrived today. On my Koolau chambered electric uke they tuned up as GDAE. It takes a while to stretch them out but I think they will work out fine for a quiet instrument to practice while watching tv