Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intro to Tenor Builders

Default Re: Intro to Tenor Builders

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    Well, I’ve played Bluegrass exclusively for decades, but I’m really interested in swing or gypsy jazz.
    If you want to go the swing - gypsy jazz route I would take a look at this tenor from Bernunzio.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/116700#116700

I have a 1929 Triolian and it kicks butt. It can be heard with out plugging in in a session.

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

As I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, the OP's price range would include a mint-condition 1920s Gibson TG1. I've played a lot of tenors, modern and vintage, and for me, nothing can touch this model. Unbelievably light, sweet and resonant. Of course, at this age, you'd have to be sure to have it thoroughly checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I just realized you are in the Chicago area. You might want to check with Rick at Cremer Guitarworks in Aurora. He told me about a few pieces that he has, there may be a vintage instrument of interest to you.
    Wow, that’s a great referral. I actually live in Geneva, a far western suburb of Chicago and super close to Aurora. I’ll be getting to know this guy for sure! Thank you!!
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    Wow, that’s a great referral. I actually live in Geneva, a far western suburb of Chicago and super close to Aurora. I’ll be getting to know this guy for sure! Thank you!!
    His shop is open Mn, Wed and Friday Noon-5 and Saturday 10-4. It is actually in North Aurora so it's a bit closer to you. I just got a used Mid-Missouri mandolin there. It was in terrific shape and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    If you want to go the swing - gypsy jazz route I would take a look at this tenor from Bernunzio.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/116700#116700

I have a 1929 Triolian and it kicks butt. It can be heard with out plugging in in a session.

NFI
    Have you got any recordings of playing gypsy jazz on your National? What tuning are you using?