Thread: Greatest luthier's trick ever?

Blog Entries

Default Greatest luthier's trick ever?

I have no idea if that is the "greatest" or not but it is great at least!

This is clearly a useful method that obviously works as shown conclusively in the nicely compose video. (oh I'm sure there is someone will tell us it will not work but I tied it yesterday on a sanding block and it is perfect!).

If you've seen it before then you don't need to watch it!

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Greatest luthier's trick ever?

Just forwarded that to a cabinetmaker, banjo builder buddy! That's pretty cool, thanks.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

As long as there was the 'barrier' of masking tape on his levelling bar,he could have used double sided tape instead of super glue. It would have come off just as easily !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    As long as there was the 'barrier' of masking tape on his levelling bar,he could have used double sided tape instead of super glue. It would have come off just as easily !,
    Ivan
    Hmmm, good thinking batman!

7. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Blog Entries

I think he was trying to avoid that because he found the glue on the double sided tape can slip, he mentions that for the router.
    When using it for temporary mounting in other situations, I’ve noticed it is often very rubbery glue used on double sided tape here in the UK. If I roll my thumb along it it can separate from the tape roll off in little ’snot balls’ of glue. He mentions it saves having to import double-sided tape, so there must be good stuff available elsewhere, but it must cost a bit.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Works well. I use tape and super glue to hold plates down when using my router sled.

11. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

I though fixing a nut slot with baking soda and superglue is the best luthier trick.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I though fixing a nut slot with baking soda and superglue is the best luthier trick.
    I use bone dust and superglue.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

15. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I thought that instruments not being labeled as an addictive substance was the greatest luthier trick.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good thought! But in the video the author talks about problems with finding the proper width of double-sided tape in the UK?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I use bone dust and superglue.
    Yes I do too!

IMO bone dust and superglue works BETTER than with baking soda. It seems to be harder and well for lack of a better description is more bone-like to file.

Dan Erlewine the chief luthier over at Stewart McDonald also recommends bone dust as the powder. Here is the video. NOTE although the title SAYS baking soda -- in the ACTUAL REPAIR shown in the video he uses bone dust.

Bernie
    ____

Baking soda and bone dust don't do the same thing. Bone dust is a mechanical filler. The super glue cures quickly because there is a lot of surface area on the bone dust, and probably a little atmospheric moisture, combined with the fact that there is relatively little volume for the super glue to fill, since the dust takes up most of the volume.
    Baking soda, on the other hand, also provides surface area, but also provides a change in pH, which activates the CA glue. Once the CA cures, there is no mechanical filler to speak of, it is just rapidly cured, and kind of foamy, CA glue. CA glue is basically plastic.
    So it makes sense why the bone dust would work better.
    Personally I use the Paul Hostetter "inlaid sliver of bone" trick, stuck into a saw kerf. It takes a little more effort, but I can be confident that it will wear essentially the same way that the rest of the nut will.
    P.S. I miss that brown tape that Stew-Mac used to sell.

21. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Baking soda and bone dust don't do the same thing. Bone dust is a mechanical filler. The super glue cures quickly because there is a lot of surface area on the bone dust, and probably a little atmospheric moisture, combined with the fact that there is relatively little volume for the super glue to fill, since the dust takes up most of the volume.
    Baking soda, on the other hand, also provides surface area, but also provides a change in pH, which activates the CA glue. Once the CA cures, there is no mechanical filler to speak of, it is just rapidly cured, and kind of foamy, CA glue. CA glue is basically plastic.
    So it makes sense why the bone dust would work better.
    Personally I use the Paul Hostetter "inlaid sliver of bone" trick, stuck into a saw kerf. It takes a little more effort, but I can be confident that it will wear essentially the same way that the rest of the nut will.
    P.S. I miss that brown tape that Stew-Mac used to sell.
    Your comment makes good sense. I did not know that the brown binding tape was no longer available!
    I'd better conserve on two roles I have left!!!!
    Bernie
    ____

I have also inlayed bone, usually I use a triangle file and make a triangle of bone. It depends on the repair as to weather I use dust or inlay a piece of bone. The other day I inlayed, next week I may use dust. When I use dust I prefer to deepen the slot to have more than a thin film of dust, seems to last longer and work better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

From Beanzy - "...he found the glue on the double sided tape can slip.".Mmmmm ! - I always have a roll of DS tape around & the stuff that i use is totally non-slip. It's as tenacious as hell - hence,the idea of using masking tape as a barrier, because the DS tape adheres so strongly,it's hard to get off. You need to use a strong DS tape of the type that carpet fitters use - & hope that you can get your fingers back !!.

The DS tape that i use,is made by ''Advance Tapes' in Leicester UK - https://www.advancetapes.com/products/,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

25. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Beanzy