Thread: Saga A style tolex mandolin case $30 closeout

Default Saga A style tolex mandolin case $30 closeout

I haven't tried this case, nor heard much about it, but for $30 I'll give it a go.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carrion-C...-Case/53320716
    No shipping charge if you pickup in store, or if you spend $35 or more and have it shipped to you. You will have to pay tax.
    http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...px?item=C-3701
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-3701_a_bg.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	161480

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

gtani7Seter 

Default Re: Saga A style tolex mandolin case $30 closeout

Case should be delivered tomorrow. I will update once I have some time to check it out.

Thanks for the tip, ordered the same one on Amazon since I have a case shortage at the moment. Better than a gig bag at least no doubt, and for not much more.

I saw it listed on Amazon too, but it shows backordered to me

Oh I just noticed that, well no rush I suppose. I'll be looking forward to your review.

I ordered one off Amazon. It looks like it will fit my Flatiron pancake 2M. We'll see. If not I'm only out $30. Delivery.. sometime in November. Guess if I've gone 35 years without a hard case for the instrument, I can wait a month and a half.
    Play em like you know em!

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Adams View Post
    I ordered one off Amazon. It looks like it will fit my Flatiron pancake 2M. We'll see ... sometime in November.
    Please let us know if it fits your Flatiron. In the giant Flatiron thread, there was much discussion of the difficulty of finding a case.

That's a good deal. If that goes away, there is also the Musician's Friend A-style case for a little more, $37.00 with the current SPOOKY discount and free shipping.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Case arrived today. About the same quality as the Musician's Gear case that I bought a year ago from http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...44411000000000
    Tolex and wood construction seem fine. Hardware is the same quality. I think it has a better neck support than the Musician's Gear case. The Saga Carrion case has an actual neck cutout support, whereas the Musician's Friend case the neck just rests on top of the accessory compartment. The Saga Carrion case is a larger roomier fit however. It is too large for all of the A5 style mandolins that I have. The Musician's Gear case is a more snug and secure fit around the sides of the body of the instrument. Depth-wise they seem about the same. If you have a larger bodied mandolin, or don't mind filling the space with a polishing cloth or T-shirt, it could work for you. I'm going to try it with the Breedlove Crossover OO that is arriving tomorrow and see if it is a more secure fit. If it is, I'll keep it. If not, I'll be buying another Musician's Gear case for $37 instead. Although the pictures at the Musician's Friend website don't look the same as the case I bought from them last year. Perhaps it has been changed? The Musician's Gear listing says the lower bout is 10.5"

In this picture you can see that there is about a finger's width of room on both sides of the instrument. Without compressing the foam, it is 11" from side to side.

Name:	IMG_20171019_110419.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1,023.3 KB 
ID:	161654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171019_210024.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	161656

The Musician's Gear case has very little room on the sides of the instrument. Without compressing the foam, it is a little under 10" from side to side. It can still move a bit fore and aft, but it is overall a much better fit for the standard A5 body, as you can see below

Name:	IMG_20171019_205322.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	737.2 KB 
ID:	161655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171019_210044.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	161657
    Last edited by colorado_al; Oct-19-2017 at 10:18pm.

13. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

And the verdict is...returning this case to whence it came. Too roomy for the Breedlove also. Musician's Gear case ordered for $37.

My first double post! Sorry.

If you haven't boxed it up yet, would you mind making a couple more measurements? The body is too big for a Flatiron, though as you say it could be padded. The bigger problem with cases for the Flatiron is the neck length is to short: from the tip of the heel to where the peghead starts to angle at the nut is only about 6.5", and 4.5" above that there must be space for the widest tuners (paddle head shape) at about 4 3/8. Just for reference, the widest part of the Flatiron body is about 9"

The Musician's Friend case looks to be the same as the one I ordered and returned to Guitar Center, for less than $40, if I recall. Didn't fit the Flatiron, but other than that, it seemed like a decent case. I don't remember what I didn't like about the fit - probably the headstock was jammed in there.

I also got one of these, and it is larger for an A5, but the old Gibson's fit it nicely. The heel of the neck against the neck rest keeps it in place and the headstock doesn't touch anything. Since I got it for a friend's Gibson this will do nicely.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    And the verdict is...returning this case to whence it came.
    Won't you be out the return shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Won't you be out the return shipping?
    Sold by walmart, not a 3rd party, so no charge for returns within 30 days if returned to a walmart store.

20. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by A 4 View Post
    If you haven't boxed it up yet, would you mind making a couple more measurements? The body is too big for a Flatiron, though as you say it could be padded. The bigger problem with cases for the Flatiron is the neck length is to short: from the tip of the heel to where the peghead starts to angle at the nut is only about 6.5", and 4.5" above that there must be space for the widest tuners (paddle head shape) at about 4 3/8. Just for reference, the widest part of the Flatiron body is about 9"

The Musician's Friend case looks to be the same as the one I ordered and returned to Guitar Center, for less than $40, if I recall. Didn't fit the Flatiron, but other than that, it seemed like a decent case. I don't remember what I didn't like about the fit - probably the headstock was jammed in there.
    I'm not really following the measurements that you would need, but here are a couple of pics that might give you the answers you're looking for

Name:	IMG_20171020_163457.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	559.2 KB 
ID:	161673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171020_163503.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	402.7 KB 
ID:	161674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171020_163510.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	381.0 KB 
ID:	161675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171020_163534.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	161676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171020_163554.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	161677

22. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

A 4 

We'll.. if the one I get fits the MO described above, I may have found a new bed for my 1917 Gibson A to sleep in in my closet. Either way, it my work! I also purchased one of the Eastman gig bags that Dennis was selling at The Mandolin Store. Do I have MCAS?

Sold by walmart, not a 3rd party, so no charge for returns within 30 days if returned to a walmart store.
    Just thinking "out loud" as my father would say.......I can picture a local music store ordering cases from Walmart at the "wholesale" price of $30 and retailing them for let's say $49-59 which would still be a great price, doubling your money and if it didn't sell, Walmart guarantees your money back. Then find another 200 musical items that they carry with the same guarantee and you've just outfitted a retail store at no risk to your investment. Throw in some lessons and strings to cover the rent and utilities and you're in business for a very tiny outlay of actual cash. Add some consignments to give some flavor to the inventory and with a little luck you might be in the profit zone! And, I've never seen this stuff in our local Walmart, so you wouldn't be competing, as such, except for Walmart online customers. Hmmm, I must be missing something.........I guess the 30 day limit probably would be the clencher, but you could probably go over the limit if you took store credit and used that for groceries or tires or other stuff...

I'm not really following the measurements that you would need, but here are a couple of pics that might give you the answers you're looking for
    Thanks, and sorry I wasn't clear. The problem with the Flatiron pancake cases is the neck length is so short, that the headstock won't extend past the neck support of the case. It looks like this case would actually fit, but with so much extra space around the body (mandolin is only 9" across the body) that it would require a lot of padding.

Thanks again!

db

Musician's Gear case from musiciansfriend.com is a way better fit. Totally worth the extra few $$.

Name:	IMG_20171024_194622.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	508.0 KB 
ID:	161776

Thanks to Jim-Garber for the heads up on their 25% off sale!
    Last edited by colorado_al; Oct-24-2017 at 9:07pm.

Still no case? Is it a scam? Good thing it was only $30.00. Not much hope on my end. If it appears to be too good to be true.. Call me a sucker. If it changes, I’ll update. Dan

I’ve just finished my modification of the case. Received the case a few days before Christmas. Let me say I didn’t expect a quality case foe $30.00 and I was correct. I thought it might fit my Flatiron pancake for travelling. The case didn’t fit any mandolin in the herd. Thus the modification. I pulled the accessory compartment and cut it down about 1/2 inch so the necks of the mandolins set lower in the case. The pancake is too small but fits, another A model fits, but the case is still a little too spacious. Fits the 1917 Gibson the best, but just a little too shallow. It will work for traveling with the pancake and I can pack a couple pairs of socks in the case. Like I previously stated, good thing I’m only out $30.00.

I received the Eastman soft case about the same time. Same story, I didn’t expect much and I was correct. But.. I have a gig bag to carry any of my instruments for a short time when traveling local. Something I didn’t have before. Good deal from the Mandolin Store for just $15.00. Thanks Dennis!

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Bought three of these $30 cases from Walmart for all the Stradolins I have with original (falling apart, softshell cases) a little large but the one I have with a pickup fits fine (greater depth). Seems like these were made for Mandocellos. Nice for the price.