Thread: cross cultural influence: article

Default cross cultural influence: article

Some years back I remember broaching this subject with Scandinavian players (wrt music).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...0Sj?li=BBnb7Kz

My experience with much anthropological material is that myriad associations and relationships exist, and many more beyond our knowledge, experience, data. In a word, we only "know" what we've isolated with our concrete methods of observation and record. Etc. For example, every time a new Mayan-style ball court is unearthed somewhere in Louisiana, or new evidence of the existence of ancient populations is discovered, estimates of continental populations (historical record) are commensurately adjusted (increase).

Wondering if others have intuition or curiosity of this and related phenomena?

2. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Default Re: cross cultural influence: article

It's not surprising that the adventurous Vikings would have had trading contact with the prosperous Islamic empire. The peoples of Europe have done a lot of horse trading with the middle east for thousands of years. I heard that one percent of all Scottish men have direct Berber ancestry, which is the consequence of trade with Muslim North Africa. We are far more inter-connected with one another than a lot of national origin stories like to suggest.

Well, the Morris in Morris Dancing is supposed to come from Moorish, and I think the crusaders brought some styles of music back with them.

The Vikings got to a lot of places : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Blog Entries

In klezmer music, the music of Jewish folks mostly from Eastern Europe, it is plain to see where the tunes came from. Tune names like Bulgar, Serba or Turkisher are common. Closer to home in the Ukraine and Russia however they named the tunes by their type eg. Doyne or polka.