Thread: straps and pick questions

Default straps and pick questions

I am looking for a strap for my A style. I don't want one that goes around headstock, and don't have heel button. looking for one that goes around heel. i also am looking for pick advise. Do beveled picks make that much of a difference for newbies what are advantages. I also believe i like a more rounded pick as the pointier seems to get hung up for me. Any suggestions?

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: straps and pick questions

A simple rawhide thong will go around the heel and under the fretboard (assuming you have a raised fretboard A) quite nicely and won't rub the finish. Almost any strap will attach to the thong in some way.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hey Jim, just posted this to your question in the newbies group ...

Aside from trying out a whole bunch of picks, cheapest to most expensive, all shapes, sizes, materials and profiles, for free by signing up for the pick sampler I mentioned before -

What you can do about picks is round them yourself to whatever you prefer. I use a fingernail file to do this. Here are just a couple examples of some of my picks.

On the left are pointy JTPix I use alot when I want a brighter tone, they sound great. Next is a white 1.2 Wegen, and I think this is the amount of round they ship with if my memory serves. (OK I can see and remember now, those are two factory corners, and the top right corner on that Wegen I made a slightly more radius). Then the next dark pick in the center is a Primetone that has holes drilled and been rounded to suit. Next is a proplec, and this is the amount of round they ship with. Next is a 40-year-old TS pick that has been rounded off. Finally, a 1.0 Cool pick that I rounded off, it was about as sharp as the JTPix originally.

It's not hard to shape the corners to taste, and also to put a speed bevel using a fingernail file.

My Washburn doesn't have a heel button, so I tie a guitar strap around the heel. I have found guitar straps to work well and to be very comfortable.

But no matter what strap you buy, if you need a way to tie it around the heel you can use leather thong. I just bought 75' of leather thong from Walmart on a roll, for just a few bucks.

My Collings does have a heel button, but I'm showing it here so you can see the tail button.

If you elect to get a soft tab leather mandolin strap, like that one, I'd suggest using leather thong to tie it to the heel. Then, on the tail button, what I've done is used a black wire tie to secure the soft leather strap to the button. Also, I used a piece of leather thong to make a "safety strap".

Hope some of this info is helpful.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Mark's got it.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

If you are using a regular shaped pick, I just use the rounded part and not the pointy part. No modification necessary. The pointy part will be there should you need it at some point. I find the rounded part doesn't wear like the point does. I have been using a BC and Wegen for years now and not the regular pick anymore, I like the glide of these picks off the strings and they can give me either poing or round.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The strap tie is a brilliant idea! As my thin strap ages, it is getting a bit loose at the heel.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I got that tip for using a wire tie on the strap from almeriastrings in a recent thread; the "safety strap" idea was posted by Mike Edgerton and others in that thread. Definitely gives me peace of mind, as the strap's popped off my tail-block button a few times (no bad accidents, thankfully, but no worries at all now).
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

You might like a Wegen Dipper, a largish pick with three different tip shapes, one quite rounded, the others getting more pointed.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I use one of these on my Ellis "A" style. An MS50 style strap,strong,& easily adjustable for length,made by ''Pinegrove Leather'' UK. They're suitable for both A & F style mandolins,
    Ivan

https://www.pinegroveleather.com/Mandolin-s/1855.htm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap (4).JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	161472
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I actually had a,nightmare dream last night that I lost my blue chip..anyway,,I think I'll add on a safety strap today,,I've been meaning to do so as I've been getting some pop offs latEly myself..

12. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Mark, nice and informative post. Our community continues to impress me.

14. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Yeah, I just tie straps about the heal heal, too, with the string under the fretboard overhang - just like the photos above.

I don't know why, but I find it easier to play mando with a bigger, thicker pick. I've only tried a few - it can be an expensive diversion -
    but my favorite so far is Dunlop's Dawg.

Keep on pluckin'!

I use a Long Hollow Leather strap on my Kentucky KM-950, with the loop tied around the neck heal, and it works great (see photo). They have them in brown and black leather.

As far as picks go, its a fairly personal and subjective territory. What works for me may not be at all one works for someone else. I personally like the beveled (or sometimes called "speed") edge picks. I had a pro plec and while it was nice as it was, I ended up filing a bevel on to it, and I like it even better. My personal favorites, though, are the Wegen TF140, Blue Chip CT55, and a Blue Chip TAD1R 60. The TAD1R is nice because it has one rounded edge, so I have the best of both worlds in one pick. I generally use the Blue Chips for louder jams when I need volume and "cut", and use the Wegens for quieter situations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3714.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	161474

FAQ, I have my prior replies in the Archive.. see link in bar below.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have to confess to raiding our spare shoe lace box. I platted three long bootlaces , one of which was bright green, leaving enough loose ends to secure to the end pin, whilst the other end, extended with another lace went up to the headstock, which I personally find good. There's a possibility that this temporary measure may become long term because the gauge is just right - nice and light and flexible, although I appreciate some people might be horrified... I certainly like the look of some of those slim leather ones. Guitar straps seem to me rather over the top for a light little folk mandolin like mine, but I guess there are heavier instruments. Don't know much about picks.....
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

I bought 3/8" latigo leather straps from a sandal-maker and fashioned a strap for my mandolin. I really prefer a thin strap. It fits better in my case (which is a tight fit with little extra space to store things) and it feels like it wears better on my body. The sandal-maker is Luna Sandals. (I had enough strap leftover to still make a pair of sandals.)

For picks I like the Dunlop Primetone copies of the blue-chip picks. They work great. I like the pointy ones but they do make some rounded ones. I found that using the rounded ones for a while helped me not get the pointed ones "stuck" and "tangled" in the strings as much. So I will go back and forth.