Thread: Acoustic Electic Guitar

Default Acoustic Electic Guitar

Hard to believe, but some song don’t lend themselves to mandolin. I am looking for an acoustic electric guitar to be plugged into a Fishman Loudbox Artist. Mostly for rhythm playing. 1k or under. Thanks in advance to you wonderful gear heads.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Acoustic Electic Guitar

The Godin family of brands (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon Patrick, Norman) is some of the best value for the money for acoustic guitars. I have an Art & Lutherie 12 string I use quite a bit for chords, just wide enough string spacing to manage some melodies too, though my bouzouki is better for that.

3. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Under 1K ........ . I think maybe a K&K transducer put into Blueridge D18 copy. The Fishman Loudbox is set up to handle that without an additional preamp. Although if you prefer rosewood that would still come in under 1K. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I am pretty familiar with the acoustic side. The electronics, not so much. I would like to be able to adjust volume and tone on the fly.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Dave Sheets

For inexpensive guitars, Yamaha and Takamine make very reliable and playable instruments. They are perhaps not the classic bluegrass voicing though, more general purpose sounding. For a bit more, you might find a used Larrivee still under $1k, which is a big step up. Godins are another good choice as an earlier poster mentioned. External preamps seem to work out better than the on-instrument versions, some of the external ones can be attached to your belt.

A good preamp can do wonders for live sound, a cheap guitar through a good preamp may sound better live than a good guitar through a cheap preamp. Though, it sounds like you have a good amp.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

8. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I bought my old lady a ibanez euphoria ep9 it sounds great both acoustic and plugged in, new they are expensive and don't make that model anymore, but used I have seen them from $400-800 very nice guitar
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Would like to compare Yamaha A3M to Taylor 110e, plugged in and on stage. Any thoughts.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

If you are considering an under saddle pickup don't worry about price, they all will sound the same. Soundboard pickup will make a better a difference, better guitar sound will sound better with the pickup.

If you want to adjust on the fly that means a preamp in the guitar, then plugging into the fishman would mean using the mic side for a better sound or you would be plugging into the hi Z input with a low Z signal. It will still work, but not as well in my opinion.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

pop1, To my understanding the Yamaha has an internal mic and piezo that can be mixed with a knob on the side.
    Last edited by red7flag; Oct-10-2017 at 10:38am. Reason: Typing
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    pop1, To my understanding the Yamaha has an internal mic and piezo that can be mixed with a knob on the side.
    That would be a nice feature to adjust for the sound you want. It also has a preamp so you can plug it into anything and don't need the hiZ input of the first channel of the Fishman.

I have a friend who plugs his guitar into the first channel, he has a preamp and I don't think the sound is as natural as it could be that way. He can get quite loud tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

15. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Yamaha and Taylor are, of course, good choices, as is Blueridge. I'll also throw Eastman into the mix. A local GC affiliate stocks them, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the ones I've played. Like their mandolins, good bang for the buck.

One of the young ladies in our praise band has one she plays through a Fishman "knock off" acoustic amp. Works well without an external preamp. Sorry, not sure of the model, but think she paid in the neighborhood of 500-600.
    Chuck

Thanks all. Got a Yamaha AC3R, the slightly smaller than dreadnaught size, with rosewood. To my surprise, unplugged and plugged, I like it more than the Martins and Taylors in the same price range and some higher. Was not planning on buying today, but they gave me a nice deal. BTW, was set up very well. The salesman actually was knowledgeable. Very satisfied.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Congrats on a happy purchase!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Congats on finding your guitar. Just in case future lookers want some more ideas, I love my Breedlove Concert solo acoustic. Best sounding/playing guitar I found under a thousand. The electronics are great as it sounds fantastic when amplified.

https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-...6-solo-concert
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I am pretty familiar with the acoustic side. The electronics, not so much. I would like to be able to adjust volume and tone on the fly.
    I like this K&K Pure preamp for that. IMO always better than the giant barndoor units mounted on the guitar for factory built AE's. I've used JJB two or three head soundboard transducers on the bridge plate (or directly under the bridge feet contact points for archtops).

Generic .. no brand touting (I bought A Guild F30 Westerly RI produced, with this type passive pickup installed, many years ago, IDK if it was a Factory installation)

It was $800, from Elderly, at the time..

Under Bridge Piezos can be added to what ever Guitar you like best, the bridge insert sits on top of it.

Tiny wire leads to end pin button-jack.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks all. Got a Yamaha AC3R, the slightly smaller than dreadnaught size, with rosewood. To my surprise, unplugged and plugged, I like it more than the Martins and Taylors in the same price range and some higher.
    Congratulations on your Yamaha! The Taylor 100 and 200 series guitars use particle board between two, thin veneers for the bodies. While the Taylor 300 series guitars (and up) are good sounding guitars, I would stay away from the Taylor 100 and 200 series guitars.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar