Thread: Into The Void

Default Into The Void

Got hooked on this Iommi riff, I did tune the mandocello down to B ( so I could play c# on 2nd fret), ( B F# C# G#)
    I recently put on a matched set of John Pearse Baritone acoustic guitar strings

seems balanced an playable on the Ovation mandocello

Its not the whole tune, there are a couple more riffs.

I was watching the original "Frankenstein" and while the tune is about space travel, I always picture the monster breaking out of his chains to this classic Iommi riff.

2. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Seter 

Default Re: Into The Void

Tony would be proud!!

I saw an interview with him once where he described how he was missing two of his fingertips after an accident in a sheet metal factory before he was 18. He fashioned a homemade prosthetic by melting plastic and then gluing it to his finger, then covered the prosthetic with leather so the strings didn't slip off as easily. Pretty amazing he could play as well as he could. He's one of my guitar heroes for sure.

This has nothing to do with your mandocello rendition of the song but thought it was such an interesting story I wanted to share it.

Default Re: Into The Void

Sothoth - I knew that about Tony and it makes him all the more impressive, I love pickers like Doc Watson and Norman Blake and Tony Rice and Brian Sutton and all the rest - but when Tony Iommi picks up a guitar - my ears are glued. If you watch him play it is extremely graceful producing this very powerful music.