Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Mo M-1. Should I buy?

Default Mid-Mo M-1. Should I buy?

I currently own a Kentucky KM-150 I bought as my first mandolin about 2 years ago. I just saw an ad up recently for a Mid-Mo M-1 for $375. I don’t think I’ll have a chance to try it since it’s too far to drive. I’ve been MAS’ing for a mid-mo/Big Muddy for awhile now. I love the simple aesthetics. Plus I don’t play blue grass, mainly classical and Old Time. Any advice on whether I should snatch this one up? Should I offer them a different price? Should I buy it at all? Would I be getting a higher quality instrument than the Kentucky I already have? Pretty new at this stuff. Any advice at all would be helpful.
    Last edited by astein2006; Oct-09-2017 at 9:51am. Reason: Change

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mid-Mo M-1. Should I buy?

That's a good price for a good mandolin. If you can try it out and you like it, get it with no regrets.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    That's a good price for a good mandolin. If you can try it out and you like it, get it with no regrets.

Jamie
    I know they are two different mandolins but do you think the M-1 is an upgrade to the Kentucky I have?

Yes.

Blog Entries

I haven't played a 150 but I have played an M-1 and loved it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

It will be a very different mandolin from the Kentucky, but that is good. You have been posting lots about flattops but posting is not substitute for actually playing. Lots of opinions out there. OTOH if you didn't like it you could probably sell it for what you paid for it. I would go for it if you are ready.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It will be a very different mandolin from the Kentucky, but that is good. You have been posting lots about flattops but posting is not substitute for actually playing. Lots of opinions out there. OTOH if you didn't like it you could probably sell it for what you paid for it. I would go for it if you are ready.
    Thanks for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Do you remember what you loved about it?

I say go for it - a friend recently gave me a Mid-Mo mandola and every time I pick it up I'm blown away by how lovely it sounds. Playability is wonderful too. I also emailed Mike Dulak and he sent me three different bridges for it so I could get it set up with my preferred action for playing. As has already been mentioned, if you decide it's not your cup of tea you'll likely have no problem moving it along if you post in the classifieds here.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Hey Jill, did you ever find a case for it? (Someone gave you the mandola? Lucky you!)

To the OP - they are nice instruments! (I have the M-2, plus a couple mandolas))

bratsche
    Last edited by bratsche; Oct-09-2017 at 12:04pm. Reason: addition
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I say go for it - a friend recently gave me a Mid-Mo mandola and every time I pick it up I'm blown away by how lovely it sounds. Playability is wonderful too. I also emailed Mike Dulak and he sent me three different bridges for it so I could get it set up with my preferred action for playing. As has already been mentioned, if you decide it's not your cup of tea you'll likely have no problem moving it along if you post in the classifieds here.
    Thanks for the advice. That’s the kick in the pants I needed. I’ve wanted a flat top for awhile now and this seems like a decent price.

11. The following members say thank you to astein2006 for this post:

Do it!

Now!

just helping out in the kicking department...
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Asking us if you should buy is like asking a kid if he wants an ice cream cone. Two scoops please.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Asking us if you should buy is like asking a kid if he wants an ice cream cone. Two scoops please.
    Ha! I know. It was sort a dumb question. I know I want it. Just trying to come up with a rational explanation my wife might understand why I need another instrument .

Ok, if it's a rational explanation you need, just ask her why she needs so many purses. When she replies because they are cute. Say that's why. Instruments are cute.

Least you think I jest. True story.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Hey Jill, did you ever find a case for it? (Someone gave you the mandola? Lucky you!)

To the OP - they are nice instruments! (I have the M-2, plus a couple mandolas))

bratsche
    I contacted Mike and he has cases for mandolas available on the Big Muddy website, so one of those is on my "to buy" list next! And yes, a friend gave me the Mid-Mo, it had been sitting in her house unplayed for several years! It's my first foray into mandolas and I'm loving it!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

17. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

That is a pretty good price. Rare to see them go for less than that.

So, did you go for it?
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Ok, if it's a rational explanation you need, just ask her why she needs so many purses. When she replies because they are cute. Say that's why. Instruments are cute.

Least you think I jest. True story.
    Ha. No I think you are serious. Its not like I'm talking about a few thousand either.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    So, did you go for it?

Well. I did some calculations and the store is about 35 minutes from me. I did some rearranging of my schedule and if its still there on thursday I can take a ride to play it. I'm a little weary because they describe it in 'good' condition. That can mean a many thing. There is only a photo of the front and nothing else. So I'm thinking I need to check it out in person. Check for structural integrity, neck, frets etc. If all goes well then Ill buy it. If its just a bunch of scratches and nicks etc then I dont care much about cosmetic wear.
    Last edited by astein2006; Oct-10-2017 at 6:39pm. Reason: change

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Do it!

Now!

just helping out in the kicking department...
    rearranging my schedule to drive to play it. I've never bought an instrument without playing it first. I couldn't get myself to buy sight unplayed as it were.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

That's a great price. I paid $500 for my used spruce/rosewood Mid-Mo, and I feel like I got a fair deal.

Real nice instrument, and I agree, a minimalist design is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    That's a great price. I paid $500 for my used spruce/rosewood Mid-Mo, and I feel like I got a fair deal.

Real nice instrument, and I agree, a minimalist design is where it's at.
    Went down there today and it was gone. I was pretty bummed. They said it was sold that morning
    I am looking now at new Big Muddy's. How do you like the sound of price and rosewood. How would you characterize its tone compared with maple b&s or mahogany?

There's an older rosewood M-4 with hardcase on eBay for $500 OBO right now that looks to be in nice shape. (NFI) Personally, I love that wood combo on the M-16 mandola I have. (If you're curious, you can hear it on my YT channel, look for Bach Brandenburg Concerto No. 6). Anyway here's the eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm//32281279122...MAAOSwSZFZ2Sne

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I played a used M-4 at a local store for $500 recently. It was the only Big Muddy I've played, and I thought it sounded quite nice. The rosewood/spruce/flat-top definitely gave it a personality of its own. I had been playing some higher end instruments and was pleasantly surprised by this one. I'm not sure I should post a link to the store in a forum discussion?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I loved how it felt to play, and how loud it was.

I eventually purchased an M-11, which had similar playability and volume, but a little bit warmer tone, being mahogany. When the M-11 came into view, I did not even hesitate.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....