Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid-Mo M-1. Should I buy?

Default Re: Mid-Mo M-1. Should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I loved how it felt to play, and how loud it was.

I eventually purchased an M-11, which had similar playability and volume, but a little bit warmer tone, being mahogany. When the M-11 came into view, I did not even hesitate.
    I’ve been considering the M-11 also but was worried if t would be too dark for classical. Any thoughts on that?

Blog Entries

I don't think it is too dark at all. Just a bit warmer than the M-1. It is probably not as dark as your arch top Kentucky actually.

I use it for my classical lessons. It was well set up when I got it, with absolutely perfect intonation. Every note up and own the neck is pitch perfect with no fishing around between frets to avoid a buzz or tone difference. Very even sound between strings too, not brassy on top and not thunky on the bottom.

The instrument gives me confidence that if I can manage to play it right, it will sound right. (Or... if there is something that sounds off, its me. )
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I just bought a 2000 M4 that was on consignment at my favorite local luthier shop. I have a cheap Johnson resonator to play in the basement. The MM will be for the living room practice while my wife watches the Cubs on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I don't think it is too dark at all. Just a bit warmer than the M-1. It is probably not as dark as your arch top Kentucky actually.

I use it for my classical lessons. It was well set up when I got it, with absolutely perfect intonation. Every note up and own the neck is pitch perfect with no fishing around between frets to avoid a buzz or tone difference. Very even sound between strings too, not brassy on top and not thunky on the bottom.

The instrument gives me confidence that if I can manage to play it right, it will sound right. (Or... if there is something that sounds off, its me. )
    This is great info thank you. Someone who uses the M11 and plays classical. It's hard to judge sound when you can't hear it in person. But having someone who is playing the same style as I'm learning helps a great deal. From What I understand I'f I'm not mistaken is that flat tops in general seem to be a bit brighter in nature compared to carved arch tops like the A and F ff holed mandolins. I could be wrong so correct me if I'm wrong. So if getting an all mahogany flat top is still bright but with a warmth to it, it may be just what I'm looking for. Plus the price is right. I've been looking at some carved arch top oval hole mandolins made in the USA and they are $2000 and up. Way more money than I can or need to spend since I'm not a performing musician and recording artist. I mean its nice to have an instrument like that but is it practical, you know? Another question for you. If you didn't have the M11 and you were looking at big muddy's again would you go with a different model or go with the all mahogany?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I just bought a 2000 M4 that was on consignment at my favorite local luthier shop. I have a cheap Johnson resonator to play in the basement. The MM will be for the living room practice while my wife watches the Cubs on TV.

What are your thoughts on the tone of the spruce/rosewood combo? What styles do you mainly play?

Quote Originally Posted by astein2006 View Post
    What are your thoughts on the tone of the spruce/rosewood combo? What styles do you mainly play?
    I like the sound and the feel of quality with the mm. It is small enough and inexpensive enough that I can put it in an overhaul bin if I want to take it on a trip. I don’t really have a “style”. I go to sing around and open mics, not jams. I usually play ukulele, guitar and lately tenor guitar. I play blues, folk and standards with baritone singing voice.
    Right now I’m trying to learn my first song for mandolin “1952Vincent Black Lightening “

Quote Originally Posted by astein2006 View Post
    I currently own a Kentucky KM-150 I bought as my first mandolin about 2 years ago. I just saw an ad up recently for a Mid-Mo M-1 for $375. I don’t think I’ll have a chance to try it since it’s too far to drive. I’ve been MAS’ing for a mid-mo/Big Muddy for awhile now. I love the simple aesthetics. Plus I don’t play blue grass, mainly classical and Old Time. Any advice on whether I should snatch this one up? Should I offer them a different price? Should I buy it at all? Would I be getting a higher quality instrument than the Kentucky I already have? Pretty new at this stuff. Any advice at all would be helpful.
    I have a kentucky 160 and my mid-mo m4 made my heart sing the first time I played it. The strings ring clearer, it's much brighter, and it has far better sustain. My only criticism is it's a smaller mandolin and can sometimes feel too short in neck length. But even that criticism is a matter of preference.