Thread: Hillman - Pedersen - Jorgenson

Default Hillman - Pedersen - Jorgenson

Saw Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen with John Jorgenson the other night. Great show, lots of mandolin playing. Songs from Hillman's new album Bidin' My Time, plus material from the Dillards, the Byrds, the Burritos, and the Desert Rose Band. Spoke of Tom Petty's passing, did Wildflowers as a tribute.

I can't imagine anyone here not going to see them if they're playing anywhere near you, but just in case you're wavering I highly recommend going.

Default Re: Hillman - Pedersen - Jorgenson

I consider Johns Jorgenson to possibly be the best musician in the world. It does not seem like there is an instrument or style of music he cannot play at an extremely high level. And he is also totally down to earth and friendly as a person, one of the most approachable major musicians I have met.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Hmm.. John's bluegrass band played just down the road from me a couple of years ago and nobody told me! Really nice bloke, I saw his quintet (all nine members that night) umpteen years ago. Apparently it was a night off but the audience was at capacity - 90 people.

Hillman / Pedersen / Jorgenson - all raised on or around Bluegrass music. Chris Hillman especially never seems to stray far away from his Bluegrass roots. Even with 'The Desert Rose Band',he still had mandolin in there played either by himself or JJ. Herb Pedersen still plays with JJ or CH,& the music is always top notch. JJ's playing with the ''Hellecasters' was awesome. I went to see them down in London several years ago & they were off the planet good !!.

Time to get your Black leather duds on folks,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I saw the show last night in Berkeley, just a fabulous show. The musicality, musicianship and music history in the members of this group is hard to even wrap one's brain around.

If you have a chance to see them on this tour try to do it.

On as mandolin note, both Chris and John played mandolin, and both mandolins were Monteleones that simply sounded amazing. And Chris and John sounded great.

And to me Herb remains one of the best singers and all around musicians ever.

9. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

Here's a lovely song sung by Herb Pedersen with the late Nicolette Larson - ''Angels Rejoiced'' from the recording NL made back in 1978. Written by the Louvin Brothers,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.