Thread: Amazed every time

Default Amazed every time

About twenty years ago, a well respected luthier told me that virtually every fretted instrument, new or used, would benefit from a fret level and crown. He would not do a set up without doing this if there was the slightest mention of "low as you can get it without buzzing." Even his customers who liked high action got some fretwork above the 12th fret.

Well, I went on to build a ton of partscaster guitars with necks from USA Custom and Warmouth. Good products. Slapped them on and they played fine. Even Allparts necks were good.

Flash forward to having moved and needing some work on a Martin. Researched and got multiple recommendations for a small shop. Took it in and basically got the same line. Don't do a setup without a fret leveling. Well the frets needed leveling anyway, witch is why I was there. Guitar came back with stellar action.

Then came the 199.00 mandolin. Horrible action. I wasn't going to pay as much for a setup as I paid for the mandolin. Got Rob Meldrum's e book and went to town. Turned out OK, but didn't play near as good as my Silverangel. Went to frets.com, read up and went to town leveling the frets. Bingo, great action.

Started doing it to my six electrics weather I thought they needed it or not. Same result.

So my SA started buzzing. The frets had deep divots well up to halfway up the fretboard. Yesterday got the courage up and leveled the frets, crowned and polished them. Good as new.

So I guess I would say to anyone, especially to beginners, I would not buy a mandolin I was not willing to invest in a fret leveling along with the setup. Yes, the likes of Eastman and Kentucky do a very credible job at a shockingly low price these days, but you can feel the difference in a very well set up instrument. After all, what you are investing in is yourself. Not skimping here is a great way to insure you go to mandolin grad school someday.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Amazed every time

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

Then came the 199.00 mandolin. Horrible action. I wasn't going to pay as much for a setup as I paid for the mandolin. Got Rob Meldrum's e book and went to town. Turned out OK, but didn't play near as good as my Silverangel. Went to frets.com, read up and went to town leveling the frets. Bingo, great action.
    Not to change the subject, but those $199 MKs were worth the investment for the d.i.y. lutherie practice alone.

4. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I got educated for sure. No way would I have touched a fret level before the MK experience.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Br1ck,
    Thanks for the post. I didn't realize that frets.com was such an extensive site. Lots of info there.
    BJ

I am not sure I agree. I would always expect checking the fret work to be part of a setup but insisting all instruments will need it is going a bit far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    I am not sure I agree. I would always expect checking the fret work to be part of a setup but insisting all instruments will need it is going a bit far.
    I would agree with Nevin, I have seen many guitars that are not that expensive with very level frets and can be setup with nice low action.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Nevin 

Blog Entries

Agreed. I have my first mandolin on the bench at the moment. I'm performing a full refret (my first), changing the fretboard from flat to radius, and making the new nut & bridge. I've spent more in tools and materials than the basic instrument is worth, but it's invaluable practice for being able to do a level and recrown on my "good" instruments.

Frets.com has been a great resource, as has the Mirwa.com.au "How To" series.

I'm looking forward to having a beater that feels like a much more expensive instrument!
    Last edited by Drew Streip; Oct-08-2017 at 9:44am. Reason: website typo

All I know is my own experience which is, take an instrument that you think is perfectly fine, and it is, do a fret leveling, and it turns out better. It is much like paying another $1000 for a slightly better tone. You could live without it, but would you want to?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I know I've told this story before, but the first guitar I ever adjusted the truss rod on came out perfect. I was able to "dial it in" where the action was truly amazing and it changed an unplayable guitar to one of my favorites. Next, and armed with my newfound guitar adjusting confidence, the second guitar I ever tried to adjust the truss rod on, well, the truss rod nut broke off before I could barely turn it! Actually, a good lesson, and 35 years later I always think of that before turning a truss rod -- proceed with caution, but proceed!

Everybody can polish their own frets, even if they don't want to mess with leveling and crowning. I made a few of htese fretboard protectors out of plastic they sell as camping or disposable cutting boards http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...rd_Guards.html

I start with 000 steel wool until i work up to the grade of steel wool or sandpaper i need to get out whatever i need to get out (sometimes it's just oxidation, sometimes its deep file marks). Makes (guitar) bends, pulloffs and slides easier, I think
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Yup. Just got my Martin back from the shop, and the luthier told me that if the frets and saddle were any lower, they'd be down to their slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I know I've told this story before, but the first guitar I ever adjusted the truss rod on came out perfect. I was able to "dial it in" where the action was truly amazing and it changed an unplayable guitar to one of my favorites. Next, and armed with my newfound guitar adjusting confidence, the second guitar I ever tried to adjust the truss rod on, well, the truss rod nut broke off before I could barely turn it! Actually, a good lesson, and 35 years later I always think of that before turning a truss rod -- proceed with caution, but proceed!
    The first truss rod I adjusted was on an Yamaha 180. I had moved out of my parents house and away from Dad's instruments and I wanted something of my own when I came upon this 180 with a neck that looked like a bow of bow and arrow fame. The seller was practically giving it away so I bought it took it home called Dad and asked what to do. He said unstring it lay it across my lap apply pressure backward on neck and turn truss rod nut less than 1/4 turn. Next day repeat procedure and repeat daily until neck was straight. I don't remember how many days it took and there are those who say I could have been more aggressive but I didn't break the rod, I straighten the neck played the guitar for several years and sold it to my brother when I got Martin fever. That has been over 40 years ago, he still has the guitar and the neck is still straight. As stated above if you don't know how to proceed use caution but proceed. You'll never learn if you don't.

Blog Entries

After I did the setup including fret leveling on my $199 MK and then within that month went on to setup two more of these MKs for other people, I was pretty tired of fret leveling. It made me appreciate even more those mandolin sellers who provide this kind of service with every single mandolin they sell.

There was another result though. After playing my fairly well setup MK, I was honestly quite displeased with the playability of my F-9. The thin frets were severely worn by a previous owner and even though they were pretty well dressed by me, the mandolin was just plain hard to play. And, every time I played my F-9, my left thumb ached from the fairly severe V profile.

I stewed over that for about 6 months until we went to a bluegrass festival (Grass Valley), which along with all the great music and jamming, featured a barn full of luthiers who were there doing repairs and instrument sales. Mandolin builder Austin Clark was there; I had him level my F-9's fingerboard, re-fret and dress it with banjo-width evo-gold frets, gently round the V profile and speed neck/french polish the back of the neck, and he replaced the nut and did what remained of a complete pro-setup of the mandolin. He did excellent work (much better than I could have ever done), raising the level of my F-9 to a wonderful playing instrument.

I have the $199 MK mandolins to thank for this though -- I would never have known mandolin playability could be better if it had not been for the MKs and results of setting them up.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

AstroJess L.