Thread: Jethros D'Angelico?

Default Jethros D'Angelico?

I was reading this article on David Rawlings' D'Angelico guitar that was originally owned by Homer Haynes, and he says "I think John D’Angelico had just made a mandolin for Jethro Burns."
    I've never heard anything about Jethro owning a D'Angelico, and I can't find any pictures or information to confirm this. Anybody know about this?

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...ly-new-archtop
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jethros D'Angelico?

Ask Don Stiernberg if he doesn't answer here. You can either PM him or go to his website. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

I don't know the answer, but that D'Angelico that Rawlings is playing sounds great on stage and spectacular on the new record. I was glad to learn a little more about it in the interview you posted.
    "Pick it solid, boys." -Claude Debussy

The only D'Angelico Jethro owned that I know of was a guitar, a 1948 Excel that was given to him as a brand new instrument by his wife. He used to bring it out and let me thump on it when we'd pick in his basement. Last I saw it was under glass and part of the Chet Atkins exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame a few years ago. Don may correct me, but I never heard Jethro talk about having owned a D'Angelico mandolin.
    The D'Angelico of Homer's that David Rawlings has is a beauty. I've played it on a few occasions, once with a large band. Ranger Doug and Andy Reiss made a recording a few years ago called "Art of the Archtop". Pick up a copy. Andy's all over that guitar. And David Rawlings is just the guy to get Homer's instrument humming again.

All ten thumbs up on John's comment about the "Art of the Archtop" cd. Superb!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary