Thread: Introducing The New Collings MF Deluxe

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Introducing The New Collings MF Deluxe

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Introducing The New Collings MF Deluxe

Collings Guitars and Mandolin is excited to introduce the new MF Deluxe mandolin. Based on their popular MF model, the MF Deluxe combines premium tonewoods, meticulous workmanship and striking upgraded aesthetics that are sure to stand out on stage.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Introducing The New Collings MF Deluxe

Makes me want a merlot.. And that sweet mando...

I guessing this would take a big chunk of my retirement savings. I might have to work a little longer
    martin keimig
    my youtube-kansasblues

It doesn't matter....I'm Going To Winfield...

Pricing?

The Mandolin Store has the prototype MF Deluxe for $5400.
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

Guess if I have to ask I can't afford it

Now that's a beautiful instrument!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I´m not a Collings fan (kinda like their guitars) and that color doesn´t do anything for me. If I would want to do a "deluxe" why not give it the teens red sunburst of the F-/A-4s?

But I accept that other folks like this.
    Olaf

Finish options are the sunburst or the merlot that's shown here.
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

Smile Re: Introducing The New Collings MF Deluxe

With their place in the market so established I would have thought "the new" Collings mandolin to be more creative and make their mark. Don't like the colour although I know some will and why the bland pickguard ? They could have done something special with that.

I agree with the other comment re sunburst which never fails.

Jimmy
    UK
    Last edited by jimmy powells; May-28-2013 at 4:19pm. Reason: Typing error

Olaf & JP, You guys are a tough audience. A maker introduces a new model that bridges the gap between a 7.2K instrument & a 4.5k instrument. The color is eye catching. Heiden has made some cool merlot F mandolins too but you don't see many. The standard sunburst wouldn't really stand out from the crowd, but is available. As for the 'bland pickguard' ..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I think any new mandolin in our small world is a good thing. Adam Steffey seems to like the Collings enough & Chris Thile seems happy pulling sound out of Edgar Meyer's MT2. I guess opinions vary
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6y...c#.UaWAOWQ-swE

Looks like their response to the Custom f5-g that the mandolin store was offering for a while, though no back binding and satin finish. I'm sure they sound good though, I have not played a Collings that didn't. I own an Mt-2 that's a wonderful instrument. Collings does have a distinctive voice that they seem to strive for. Not everybody cares for it, but as we know every instrument no matter who makes it is unique. Me I would like to see the new model in person. Perhaps Acoustic Works will have one at some time, when the Mandolin store moved form Ohio to AZ we lost a good store that was driving distance.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

Amen Old Wave! I live about 45 minutes from Washington Courthouse and remember going to Dennis's first location that seemed like you had to walk through a maze in an old building to get to the Mandolin Store. Hated to see him leave Ohio...

I haven't made it over to Acoustic Music Works as of yet but have ogled plenty an instrument on their website.

I'm not enamoured with the Merlot color on the Collings, but am a fan of their instruments.

14. The following members say thank you to Galileo for this post:

I think the merlot color is great, it is beautiful and something other than sunburst. I also have a blond and an amber Collings, great instruments, aside from a few traditional sunbursts.

This is an exciting development from Collings. Looking forward to seeing one in the wood. It is hard to tell exactly what the color will look like, but I like what I see!

I've always been a Colings fan but is this really news? It's nothing you couldn't get on a regular MF except the neck and headstock binding. Now if they'd done this in varnish......that'd be Deee-luxe! I thought I'd read/heard somewhere that they were going to do some MTs and MFs in varnish. Anybody know anything about that?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I think the gloss merlot finish is beautiful but a little like a beautiful black car. A speck of dust, a fingerprint, or a ding will jump right out. Guess you just have to keep moving so no one can focus on you.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

19. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Introducing The New Collings MF Deluxe

I LOVE the Merlot! It's simply beautiful!

Blog Entries

Yea, I love that color too. I have a preference for solid color instruments in general, and that is just a beauty.

But ultimately color is an individual taste thing. I am sure, even if the mandolin were safety yellow, it would sound great.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I know I'm a little late responding to all this. But I bought a MF Deluxe Merlot last summer (2014) and I love it. Not sure how many are out there. would like to connect with others who bought one. Bought mine at Telluride Music. Dave did a great job on set up. did have to save a lot but it was well worth it. I didn't have to go the the next level at 7+k to get a quality instrument. crisp clean sound, good volume, very good response. I love the color too. stands out like no other. had nothing but great compliments from friend musicians. really happy I bought it.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Thread Bump:

Several ads on different sites list specs that state that the neck joint is mortise & tenon, but the Collings website says dovetail....I'm confused. I thought they used to be M&T...have they changed to dovetail?
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by mikefleck View Post
    I know I'm a little late responding to all this. But I bought a MF Deluxe Merlot last summer (2014) and I love it. Not sure how many are out there. would like to connect with others who bought one. Bought mine at Telluride Music. Dave did a great job on set up. did have to save a lot but it was well worth it. I didn't have to go the the next level at 7+k to get a quality instrument. crisp clean sound, good volume, very good response. I love the color too. stands out like no other. had nothing but great compliments from friend musicians. really happy I bought it.
    Mike - I'm a bit late tothe game as well but I bought an MF Deluxe Merlot last week. I's a beautiful thing. Do you still have yours? If so, how is it doing?