Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is the mandola the perfect instrument?

bass player gone mando

Default is the mandola the perfect instrument?

I have played many different musical instruments over the years. Some I've been good at, some not so much, but I've played a lot of them - guitar, bass guitar and double bass, piano, drums, harmonica ... I've done gigs on all of these over the years (although the drums gig was in grade school, but it did happen). Then there's the mandolin family of instruments. When you're playing with others, mandolin always seems best because the pitch is higher and doesn't compete with the other instruments. But if you're just playing by yourself? I'm finding the mandola to be an amazingly self-contained and versatile instrument. It's key of C, roughly in the range of the guitar, and it lends itself to all kinds of things that you can do on an instrument tuned in 5ths, that you can't do on an instrument tuned in 4ths like a guitar (excepting the G-B third) or a bass (unless you're Red Mitchell and can play it tuned in 5ths).

I dunno, maybe it's just me ... but I find that rock, pop, classical and bluegrass can all be played on mandola with an ease not found on other instruments, and in a pleasing pitch range. It fits the hand very well. I'm sort of hooked on the instrument and intend to play it more. Just my $.02, thanks for listening!
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuck3 For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: is the mandola the perfect instrument?

My feelings exactly. Love the dola for solo play and self enjoyment. I, too, reach for a mandolin when playing with others.
    There are, however, the occassional tune even for solo play that I prefer on mandolin. A few come to mind such as, ROLL IN MY SWEET BABYS ARMS, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE, BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY, and ANNIE'S SONG.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

The perfect instrument is what I'm playing today; last night it was a 1950's Martin Style 0 ukulele.

Mandola is a nice compromise between mandolin and an "accompaniment" instrument like guitar, in terms of range, fifths-versus-fourths tuning, etc. For certain uses, it's "perfect," or at least "the right tool for the right task."

As Chuck himself states, mandolin can be a better ensemble instrument in certain circumstances. So, not in search of perfection, just suitability for what's needed in a particular situation.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

chuck3 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    As Chuck himself states, mandolin can be a better ensemble instrument in certain circumstances. So, not in search of perfection, just suitability for what's needed in a particular situation.
    I got a mandola to fill a void in a klezmer band. We had plenty of treble in the violins and tsimbl (hammered dulcimer), as well as low end in an acoustic bass and I found that I was playing only the lower strings even on melody parts.
    I may never have bought a mandola for other reasons.

When I got it, (and it helped to be a nice Collings instrument), I fell in love with the lower pitch and resonance. It is still smaller than a guitar and the scale length is comfortable. I just love this thing for solo stuff too. And I'm really satisfied with our arrangements for mandola and violin. They really compliment each other.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

My 10 string mandola is just about perfect. All the range of mandolin and mandola. Same with my 5 string violas......

As a violinist who is now almost always a violist, and as someone, who bought a mandola less than six months after buying my first mandolin, I don't think there's even anything to discuss here: of course the mandola is perfection.

I like the richer, deeper sound. As I age, the charms of the E string are less obvious, while the appeal of the C string grows. I'm not going to quit playing my violin, and I'm spending more time with the mandolin as I learn, but after working on the mandolin it's heaven to pull out the 'dola for a bit.

10. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Dchip 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chuck3 View Post
    ...roughly in the range of the guitar...
    That would apply for the OM rather than the 'dola.

But the perfect instrument is the one you like to play most.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

12. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I have had my mandola now for almost 2 years. I love the range at jams. The jams I go to are wide open, not just (sometimes never) bluegrass. It took a while to over come 40 yrs. of mandolin playing to find the notes and I do best when I just play by the numbers. Just got a tenor guitar. (CGDA) Lots of fun.

I also came to the mandola from a near lifetime of fiddle playing. I actually came by way of the tenor guitar and instantly fell in love with the A-C tuning. Like Doug, part of it might have been me looking to fill a sonic space. My son plays mandolin and my wife ukulele. when I play with them I spend a lot of time playing melody on the lower two strings. I do love that C. its.....comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    As a violinist who is now almost always a violist..
    Me too. Two five string violas and a 10 string hardingfele. Best of both.

It’s nice of all of you to think the mandola is the perfect instrument, but I’m sorry to point out that you’re wrong.

It’s still the mandolin, and yes, I have a mandola.

Just saying
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

One could wax philosophical, and even theological, on the likelihood of a perfect instrument in an imperfect world.

But I will say that up till recently, I would have unequivocally opined that the mandola is the closest instrument to perfection. I think it certainly is in the mando-family of instruments (as is the viola in its respective family, of course).

However, at present, I am still in the honeymoon period of my relationship with a lovely sounding fifths-tuned baritone ukulele. There's something to be said for the pure, harplike tones coming from the simple direct human touch of fingers on strings, with no need of a pick or bow to stand between and complicate the relationship.

Bottom line - Ask me again in another year.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

In other circumstances...

If I didn't play mostly Irish/Scottish trad in keys that favor GDAE tuning, and played Blues or Jazz instead. Or if I played alone at home, where common keys in sessions and playing along with my fiddler S.O. didn't matter. Or if I was a singer and wanted to self-accompany...

... then a mandola might have been the perfect instrument for me.

I like the instrument in the abstract. Nice mellow tone, easier to finger than an octave mandolin. But it just doesn't fit the music I play. I did try one for a year, although it was a hybrid acoustic-electric Breedlove 4-string with a humbucker. It was fun, but I ended up capo'ing to DAEB so I could play most fiddle tunes an octave down. Eventually I started using custom strings to keep it in DAEB tuning without a capo. Then I looked over at my OM sitting in the corner, and wondered... "Why am I doing this when I have a nice octave mandolin over there?" And I sold it.

There might have been a missed opportunity there, to experiment with a 10-string mandolin/mandola, but the rarity and cost of those instruments meant I've never taken the plunge. If I ever spend money on a hybrid like that in the future, it's more likely to be a Swedish "Latmandola" -- octave mandolin with additional bass string drone below the G string.

I do like to hear other musicians playing mandola. Usually that's a solo performance, occasionally a nice worked-out band arrangement.

20. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

bass player gone mando

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    The perfect instrument is what I'm playing today; last night it was a 1950's Martin Style 0 ukulele.

Mandola is a nice compromise between mandolin and an "accompaniment" instrument like guitar, in terms of range, fifths-versus-fourths tuning, etc. For certain uses, it's "perfect," or at least "the right tool for the right task."

Allen is right that there was a certain "perfect instrument is what I'm playing today" enthusiasm behind my original post. And mandolin is definitely better if you're playing with a group that includes guitar(s).

That said, I can't think of an instrument I like better playing solo right now than mandola. The tone is mellow and the 5ths tuning plus the relatively short scale (compared to OM, say) let you cop ideas from every form of music.

Nice reading everyone's comments on here, thanks for posting them!
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Perhaps this is a question for a luthier, but do the reasons Jennifer Stumm gives for calling her viola an imperfect instrument apply to the mandola? I love this video and think that I love my mandola for some of the reasons she loves her viola! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewxApY3uO4

23. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post:

I love the mandola, but I don't own one yet. For me, the notion of the perfect instrument is incomprehensible.

I play cellos, tenor guitars, OM, cittern, ukuleles, melodicas, harmonicas, pennywhistle, nyckelharpa, viola da gamba, tenor banjo, guitars and assorted keyboarded instruments. For me, the M in MAS stands for Musicalsoundmakingthing. And I got the syndrome baaaaaaad.

For me music is like travel - there's no one perfect country. Perfection is the never-ending journey of discovery, learning new cultures and new vocabularies, and letting each place I visit change me a little. Someday my collection will include a mandola, and it will be a part of that perfection, one more gorgeous port of call on a lifelong trip.

I don't know that it's the perfect instrument, but it's certainly nice to have around. I think it really shines when playing in a duo context with a good tasteful guitarist, and it fits better with my vocal range than the mandolin does. Of course if I have to cut through a banjo--or a Whatevercaster with a player who doesn't quite grok the concept of a volume knob--I'll reach for the mandolin.

There's a good chance that I'll soon have the opportunity to play with a pianist and a clarinetist. You can bet I'll take the mandola along for that one!
    Northfield F2S
    Howard Morris A-4
    Eastman DGM3 Mandola
    Eastman MD805PGE
    Miscellaneous tingums

I like mandola especially for jazz - longer scale length provides improved agility (over smaller instruments) for expanded chordal work, etc. Eventually I went to plectrum banjos for even better jazz access..

For *solo* playing? I need greater range - polyphonically, tonally, rhythmically. I find this especially in harps, accordians, guitars...plectrum (and bowed) stringed instruments are great fun, but I have to have as many fingers as possible involved. I probably play all these instruments in compensation for lack of devotion to piano - which didn't hold my interest for its lack of corporeal engagement, sensuality, feel..

27. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Blog Entries

I find the 10-string mandolin the perfect instrument. I'm participating in a jazz workshop and fitting in well with a standard quintet---piano, bass, drums, and two saxes playing bop and straight-ahead jazz. I used my Buchanan acoustic for my first two sessions, with magnetic pickup and amp, but will switch to my solid-body 10-string for its more focused tone. The Buchanan has served well in orchestral playing, for Verdi and Mahler, and is a great fit for English Country Dance and contra dancing. I used it satisfyingly in a duo for Americana songs. (I just received a new Buchanan with a Headway undersaddle pickup, and it is a fine instrument. He changed his bracing design and it has more projection across the range and better resonance in the bass.)

I will agree wholeheartedly that the C course is crucial; I have no interest in a mandolin that lacks one. But the long scale of mandolas I have played makes them too difficult to get around easily, and many of my chords are not within reach. For acoustic playing the body does need to be large enough to help the C, but the long scale is not essential.

For solo playing I need more than four string courses. I use the low strings more than the E but I use it plenty, and the large range means I can do bass lines along with melodies. There is a design tradeoff for the large range, in that for a stronger high range one wants a smaller body with appropriate resonances, but I don't need to compete for volume in a jam. The orchestral opportunities did not find the Buchanan too weak; the projection of his earlier model was more than enough.

I feel the main reason mandolin-family instruments have four courses is the desire to be viewed as classical, and equivalent to violin-family instruments. This handicaps them, trading away a strength--frets allowing reliable chords--for the dubious value of melodies that need tremolo to sustain. The tuning in fifths is a more important factor, allowing a fast and wide range of pitches close to hand (finger), whereas guitar needs much string-crossing and shifting to equal that range.

I wish there more more choices for five-course mandolins but I'm happy to have found my current instruments.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The lower voice is really the big deal with a lot of players. A lot of players know of the difficulties in finding strings that will perform on bigger instruments. They 'bottom out", buzz, or generally sound weird. It is not easy to get strings for a lower pitch.

Did you know that the D'Addario Helicore string people have invented a set of strings for the violin that sound and octave lower than violin strings. And they perform really well. A miracle!

http://www.juststrings.com/helicored...linoctave.html

This puts the range of the octave violin lower than a viola and into the cello range. My wife has put them on a violin, (not difficult to set up the nut and bridge, in fact she's done no changes yet), and it is really fun to hear this huge sound coming from a 'little violin".
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Vega gave you the choice of a 10 string cylinder back with a mandola or mandolin size body. They were both tuned the same so you could have a mandolin with an added low C string or a mandola with an added high E string. The octave mandola/mandocello only came with the mandocello sized body. Image from November 1913 Cadenza magazine.

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vega Combo Cadenza Nov 1913 crop crop.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	161488  

32. The following members say thank you to gweetarpicker for this post:

chuck3 

This is a bad thread! I started playing mandolin about three years ago. I’ve been playing trumpet for 53. Just bought an Eastman Mandocello which is great. Then this thread came up. Local Craigslist had a 1920 era Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo for sale at a good price. Perfect size and pitched the same as a mandolin! Now I have another instrument and style to work on.

34. The following members say thank you to Sterling for this post:

Pitched the same as a mandola! Darned autocorrect!

It's incredible how your musical journey led you through various instruments! Your insight into the mandola's versatility and unique pitch range is fascinating. Your passion shines through, and it's wonderful to hear how you've found a special connection with the instrument. Keep exploring and making music – your enthusiasm is inspiring!

I do find with guitar oriented music, the chord shapes seem to work better on mandola than on mandolin, same for melodies written explicitly for guitar. For me some tunes work great on mandola (does not have to be in the key of C), other sound more natural on mandolin, but most music can be arranged for any particular instrument, it comes down to preference and familiarity.
    I often pick up a mandola and try different ideas and arrangements of tunes, or work on alto harmonies or rhythm backing for tunes. I actually have composed a lot of music on mandola, back when I was inspired to compose.
    I am huge fan of the instrument and viola music, so I can only concur and encourage more mandola music!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

38. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

DougC