Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson F9 vs Collings MF - 2017 edition

Default Re: Gibson F9 vs Collings MF - 2017 edition

the sound of my 2012 F5-G beats easily my 2014 MT.
    Los Hermanos Cubero
    Youtube Channel
    Cubero's Facebook
    My Facebook
    Instagram:
    @hermanos_cubero
    @robertocubero_

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Ugh...block inlays....hate em....so close!

Quote Originally Posted by NJmando View Post
    I will be selling my F9 once I get a new instrument. Can't afford to keep both. My F9 is almost perfect, if such a thing exists, its a shame the neck and my hand don't play nice. I look forward to sticking with Gibson.
    Dennis at the Mandolin store worked a trade with me on a mandolin I recently purchased from them. It was a very simple process. We talked about the mandolin I wanted, I sent him a link to the craigslist add I had for the mandolin I had for sale. He checked out the pictures and made an offer I was happy with. He also told me the best way pack it and ship it to him. After buying a box and the shipping and insurance cost, I came out where I was hoping to be on a local sale. It was a very pleasant deal. I shipped mine, he shipped his and reimbursed my credit card the trade-in difference once mine arrived. I traded an 06 F9 for 17 Gibson MS custom that I am enjoying very much.

FWIW, I played several mandolins. Collings, Daley, Weber, Elk Horn, Northfield, and Gibson. I was planning on getting a high end Collings. After playing them all I chose a Harvey F5G and I love it. I don't think it's any "better" than a Collings or the others. My ears just liked the tonal balance better. All the mandolins I played sounded wonderful. But I just liked the tone of the F5G a little better. My 2 cents.
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

After playing a F9 I made a feeble attempt to get that Gibson sound for under 2.5k a wise (guy) man told me "if you want that Gibson sound go buy a Gibson" made sense to me. Someday I will own a new F9 !

Quote Originally Posted by Loubrava View Post
    After playing a F9 I made a feeble attempt to get that Gibson sound for under 2.5k a wise (guy) man told me "if you want that Gibson sound go buy a Gibson" made sense to me. Someday I will own a new F9 !
    You should buy MY F9!

Ok so I ordered the F5G...they called me today and said it is mint. I don't think I could beat a mint, 2015, Harvey signed honeyburst F5G for 4k. I will report back when I get it...maybe start a new thread. Thank you all for your help!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NJmando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NJmando View Post
    Ok so I ordered the F5G...they called me today and said it is mint. I don't think I could beat a mint, 2015, Harvey signed honeyburst F5G for 4k. I will report back when I get it...maybe start a new thread. Thank you all for your help!
    You've chosen wisely.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

10. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

What cuyuga red said. I'll tell you a little secret if you promise not to tell anyone. Promise? OK. I traded a Red Diamond (RD) 1922 David Grisman "Crusher" model to get the F5G. Shhhh!

OK, OK, OK, I'll explain before someone gets a rope. Well, ya see it's like this...I was a long time guitar player and wanted to teach myself to play mandolin. So, I bought a Collings MT. Great mandolin, especially for a beginner. Even for a pro. But as I got better I was wanting to move up to an F model. I had 5 Collings guitars at the time. I began to research mandolins and auditioned a bunch. I really wanted a RD. So, I decided to trade 3 guitars and some cash for the RD. I loved it. But as time went on I wanted to learn to play Scruggs style banjo and I wanted to be a multi-instrumentalist. At that point in time the only way I could afford a banjo was to trade something away. I know myself well and knew I would accomplish my goal of being a good banjo player, especially if I had a great banjo to learn on. I wouldn't be satisfied unless it was a pro level banjo. I really, really, wanted to learn to play Scruggs style banjo. So I traded my RD mandolin for a really good 5 string banjo and, after playing several mandolins, the Gibson Harvey F5G.

I was very afraid I wouldn't like any other mandolin. Not true. I love the F5G. Would I like to have another RD someday? You bet!! the But the trade turned out to be a very good move. I'm now playing both mandolin and banjo at the intermediate to advanced level. I was a good guitar flatpicker to begin with. So I've pretty much accomplished my goals of being a multi-instrumentalist and a pretty good one...if I do say so myself. I've been retired almost 2 years and I do lots and lots of woodshedding. I do work hard at learning all 3 instruments. And it's really fun. The idea that you have to be young to be good is b#&&#%@t, barring any physical reasons. At 67 y/o, I'm playing better than I ever have and you can too. Regardless of age.

Anyway, now you know the rest of the story. I traded a RD for a Gibson F5G and I'm still very happy with my choice. I will have another RD someday though. They're outstanding mandolins. But this F5G is a keeper.
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

12. The following members say thank you to drbluegrass for this post:

Blog Entries

Those Harvey-signed F5G, Ferns and MM's are superb. Never heard a 'bad' one. They deliver the classic tone and have loads of volume and headroom. Good choice.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

I think you made a best choice of the 3.
    Question: Does TMS not have a return policy on used mandolins?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Yes, I bought a used Weber from them about a year ago they did.

Wondering if anyone is willing to describe what they consider to be the tonal differences between the Gibson F5G and the Collings MF. I have an MF and totally love it, but of course there is probably a second mando in my future

Quote Originally Posted by Sothoth View Post
    Wondering if anyone is willing to describe what they consider to be the tonal differences between the Gibson F5G and the Collings MF. I have an MF and totally love it, but of course there is probably a second mando in my future
    Same here, would love to hear a detailed compare/contrast from someone whose spent time with both. In my discussion with Dennis at the Mandolin Store, he gave me a general explanation from his view. He sees gibson F5 style mandos as "dark" and "3 dimensional" sounding, which I agree. The way my F9 resonates is not straight ahead - there are lots of overtones. He agreed with me that Webers are comparably bright and could be placed at the other end of the spectrum. He then said he sees Colling's as straight down the middle of those two. I trust his opinion but would certainly like to hear what others think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Yes - 2 days. Good enough.

The Gibsons seem to have a more mid-rangey emphasis, and the Collings have more emphasis on the low end, in my hearing. They both have that dry, woody-sounding, "pop" in the strings thing going on (at least the good ones do).

As the above poster said, I also see Collings as kind of in the middle between a more traditional, mid-rangey sound (Gibson), and a more modern sound (slower decay, more overtones, more low and high) on the other end of the spectrum. But Collings is closer to the Gibson sound/end of the spectrum more than the contemporary end.

So there is no "better" there is only which sound you prefer. The Gibsons are excellent at cutting through the mix in a bluegrass jam, like a mid-rangey Martin guitar.

Those are very broad generalizations, of course. Interested to hear other's opinions.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Thanks for the info. Yes I think some of the Weber’s I’ve tried are painfully bright and love the MT for being more balanced. I’ll try a Gibson now that you’ve all peaked my interest

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Depends on your vintage of Collings.

When Pava K. was graduating Collings mandolin tops (circa #1-130 or so) they were definitely "Gibsonesque" and a former employee at the now defunct Buffalo Bros. told me that Bill Collings boasted to him that Collings could out Gibson Gibson!

A friend of mine has one of those MF models and everytime I see him I try to wrangle it out of his possession. It is a bluegrass canon!

Newer Collings (2004 or so forward) definitely have a different vibe, as noted, more "modern" tonal characteristics...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel