Thread: Amps for electric mando

Default Amps for electric mando

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a new amp for my electric setup. I have two main electric mandolins - one 8 string and one 4 string. I'm looking for something that's got a good clean tone and low watt enough that I can actually get the amp past 2 on volume. Ideally tube, but open to good solid state or blends.

I've used the Loudbox Mini for a bit and it's nice, but not really what I'm looking for from tone. My Fender Deluxe is super loud (no more than 2 on the volume there). Looking for something between the to I suppose.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Amps for electric mando

Well I'm just an amateur (just got back into music a few years ago, and also hadn't played electric before that) so I don't know if this would work for everyone, but since no one else has answered yet...

I like my little Roland Micro Cube. It has some different sounds, ranging from an Acoustic modeling sound which is generally what I use, to some distortion if you want that. It has a line-in so you can play along with backing tracks or YouTube videos or other stuff you've recorded on your computer etc. It has a headphone jack for private listening. You can also use the headphone jack to run a line-out to a mixer or computer, to record it. The one I have also has the option of running on batteries as well as A/C.

Hm, just checked, seems my model of older original cube is discontinued...

Does anyone know what the equivalent current model of Roland Cube is? Would the Micro Cube GX be the same thing? It looks nearly identical to my older one. Says the new GX is 3 watts, mine is 2 watts, looks like the new GX has one extra distortion setting, but otherwise looks very similar to what I have here.

(No clue how to integrate that sort of thing into a PA system or whatever, is that even possible?)

FWIW, some of my own examples of what my Roland Micro Cube sounds like (recorded with Audacity after running through a cheap Mackie mixer for EQ), maybe this will give you some sort of general idea if the Micro Cube is something you could use for your playing:

Example 1. Mandolin stick-on piezo pickup running to Roland Micro Cube set to "Acoustic":

(or direct link)

Example 2. Guitar magnetic pickup (the backing in video below), otherwise everything has same settings as above:

(or direct link)

Example 3. Distortion, fast forward to 0:24, and yeah I'm not quite in tune and I should have been muting the open strings more, : this is kinda just noise but it's fun to play, I was just learning this tune:

(or direct link)

Hopefully other people will chime in with some more up-to-date advice about what other amps that might be suitable for your uses.

---
    P.S.: That's a $50 Rogue RM-100A mandolin in those videos. The Roland Micro Cube reverb & "Acoustic" setting, makes the Rogue sound almost like a better instrument.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Oct-05-2017 at 2:11am. Reason: Added examples.

bass player gone mando

The Fishman Loudbox series is good (use the Artist model all the time), but sounds like you are moving past that. They're discontinued, but the Genz Benz Shenandoah series is awesome for mando, I use them a lot too. For something new, check out either Mesa or Boss, they've both recently come out with new lines of acoustic amps that look good.

I see you're interested in tube amplification - me too. Consider a tube preamp to go along with even your current Loudbox. The Presonus TubePre is a good little tube preamp and not expensive, and there are others.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

I have an Orange Micro Dark--with a midrange control--and my Mandobird sounds great through it
    (Hybrid amp-one tube)
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I have a Vox VT 40+ it’s a valve pre amp modelling amp. I use it with my four string Emando and my five string octave. You can get tones from acoustic through to death metal. To be honest though I tend to use the Vox AC15 & 30 settings. Mainly for a bluesy tone. It does a mean clean tone good for running pedals through. And has built in effects but suffers from the same problem most multi effect apps and pedals do. The way you can combine them is limited by the groups they are in. For instance you can’t use fuzz and compression or flanger and delay. So no Pink Floyd without extra stomp boxes. I also have a Zoom GU7 1ut pedal, it also has a valve in it which sits after the effects in the chain which gives a decent tone using headphones I was using it for quite practice. However that has taken a back seat to an Irig interface and AmpliTube on my iPhone which gives you a good choice of tones with a few pedals for not too much investment. You can spend a lot on it by I don’t feel the need to buy every model in the app.

I have a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 that has amazing cleans, probably the best there is, 2x12 speakers for great stereo sound. I keep my volume pretty low but it can be loud if need be. However it does weigh 61 pounds, so certainly not very portable. It's smaller siblings and relatives like the Cubes are probably just as good if not better. I've heard the JC-77 which is the 2x10 version of the JC120 is great.

I like the idea of using a Presonus tube preamp with your Loudbox, depending on what sounds you're looking for. I can get a great warm and clean tube sound using that combo, or overdrive the tube pre and get great tube cut. They use a 12AX7 tube with a good clean, low noise, profile and you can swap it out with other tubes if you like a different sound

Blog Entries

I use my son’s Ibaņez TSA5, very light & portable.
    5watts so I just mic it to the PA (a few inches from the cone) if on stage.
    Until you kick in the overdrive it’s very clean, then it gets as wild as you dial in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC57CC33-F8E4-4F00-BA6C-010629FC9704.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	161270 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0665A768-AB12-4900-81EB-9DCC574D7D82.jpeg 
Views:	226 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	161271
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

I have had good results with mine, though I am new to electric playing and perhaps not as discerning. I have three amps, and I use each for different things.

Fender Mustang I - modeling amp 20 watt
    VOX AC4TV mini - tube amp - 10 watt
    Orange Crush 12 - solid state amp - 12 watt

I may have missed, but I didn't see where you were needing battery run portable amps. These are not.

(I use a different amp for my acoustic mandolin, with a microphone.)
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'm going to try out the presonus first to see if that helps with the loudbox. Otherwise, I may look at the Roland Cube a little closer.

Thanks guys

11. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Art Tube MP also will work. Uses the same spec tube and is half the price of the Presonus.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...dio-mic-preamp
    I think the higher quality of the Presonus is worth the extra $ though

bass player gone mando

I picked up an Art Tube MP since it was so inexpensive and tube preamps are kind of a fascination with me. It's OK but you get what you pay for, I'd recommend the Presonus TubePre at that price point over the Art.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

You didn't mention what you wanted tone wise from the tube amp, but if you like your Deluxe, why not go with a Princeton or even a Champ (or clone of either)?

I got the presonus preamp but not really getting the full tone I want from that with my loudbox.

The tone I'm looking for is primarily a clean warm tone that has enough power to fill a small / medium sized room alone (larger rooms, amp would be mic'd or similar). The loudbox with the presonus was louder for sure, but the tone seemed stale to me. I like the way the presonus works on vocals though - so that's a plus

Still hunting ;/

Dave Sheets

I've often used Roland solid state amps, for jazz guitar sounds and clean mandolin sounds. I recently switched to a Mesa TA-15 tube head, which has Vox and Marshall style voicings. Very warm tonality, very smooth distortion/overdrive sounds at low power levels. The power section can be switched from 5 to 15 to 25 watts, so you can get the power tubes working hard even at low volume. Compact for a tube head.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    I got the presonus preamp but not really getting the full tone I want from that with my loudbox.

The tone I'm looking for is primarily a clean warm tone that has enough power to fill a small / medium sized room alone (larger rooms, amp would be mic'd or similar). The loudbox with the presonus was louder for sure, but the tone seemed stale to me. I like the way the presonus works on vocals though - so that's a plus

Still hunting ;/
    Sorry that didn't work out for you. I also really like the presonus with a condenser mic.
    We use a single mic setup with a MHL990 through the Presonus Tube Pre. Love the way it sounds.
    How much "drive" are you using with the tube?

I've found a Vintage Fender Princeton Reverb with tubes that works well for my solid-body Fender Mandocaster. It has a warm tone that is not as strident/piercing as some other amps I've tried. It works well for smaller venues on its own and through a PA for larger places when playing with full electric bands.

It's not the amps that are the problem....it's the speakers. I'm a tube amp nut, although I do have the little Fishman. Tube amps are Blues Jr, HotRod Deluxe, and my Wendler electroCoustic amp. I don't care for the SS reverb circuit in the Fenders, but the baseline tone is GREAT. However, much improvement by swapping the speaker to an Eminence Beta 12LT. Flatter and extended frequency response over the standard electric guitar speakers. SWEETER sounding without the upper midrange spike so common with "electric" guitar speakers. Also, on your Deluxe, try trading out V1 for a 12AT7, from the standard 12AX7....you can also plug into the 2nd input of your vibrato channel for a decrease in gain of 6dB.

20. The following members say thank you to Dave Wendler for this post:

I’m using a Fender Champ 600 RI that has been fully rebuilt to the late ‘40s specs and has a Jensen P6V alinico speaker.

It works amazingly well for my CF five string with the DeArmond 1000 Rhyme Chief pickup. (Actually sounds like an archtop jazz box)
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Just an update - I may be going with one of these bad boys - http://www.fredrikamplifiers.com/

Buddy of mine has one and it sounds delightful.

Not tube, but Roland AC 60 is good, just a bit heavy, (But padded gig case is great!)

so I'm thinking of adding the AC33, which is battery or wall wart powered..

[It's the Power Supply Transformer that adds the heft]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture