Thread: C-tuned strings on a g-tuned mandocello

Default C-tuned strings on a g-tuned mandocello

Don't know if this is the right section to ask, but tight on budget and want to buy a mandocello. Thomann has quite cheap g-tuned one for sale, but I want a c-tuned. Could I get that and then get c-strings on it? Would it work?

Default Re: C-tuned strings on a g-tuned mandocello

Several of my students that are learning to play the mandocello are using octave mandolins tuned down to C, quite successfully.

In my experience, the scale length of most mandocellos (C tuning) is in the 22 1/2" to 25 3/4" range while most octave mandolas/octave mandolins (G tuning) are in the 17 1/4" to 23 1/2" range. The longer scale octave mandolins can be tuned like mandocellos no problem if you are careful with the strings. Tonewise, of course it would depend on the instrument.

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com

There are no octave mandocellos for sale in Thomann. All are I unison and there is only one c-tuned one. If someone knows other good places to buy in Europe, it would be appreciated.

There seems to be about 5 cm (2 inches) difference in scale length.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/thomann_mand...rch=1507172704
    vs
    https://m.thomann.de/gb/thomann_mand...rch=1507172704
    Last edited by tuomasjar; Oct-04-2017 at 10:09pm. Reason: Forgot to add something

I'm guessing there are lots of places to buy a mandocello (C tuning) in Europe. "The Acoustic Music Company" in Brighton and "Palm Guitars" in Amsterdam come to mind, but I'm sure there are many others.

I see that the Thomann mandocello tuned C is larger and more expensive than their instrument tuned to G. However, the scale length of their G tuned instrument is listed at 610 mm which is plenty long enough for C tuning. I have never played this brand and cannot comment on the quality, tone and playability.

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com

I looked at those. Palm guitars didn't have any and in the other one they were thousands of euros each.