Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to hold the pick

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: How to hold the pick

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    As seen on previous page. Deja vu all over again!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The sum of complexity of tool and usage seems to be a constant. The skills of neolithic people must have been better than anything we can do today, and the pick is not too far away from a chip of flintstone.
    New, old math! Thank you.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

3. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171014_120212.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	161499 today's flintknappers are producing some amazing stuff,,,but not good for mandolin picks..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post

ID:	161499 today's flintknappers are producing some amazing stuff,,,but not good for mandolin picks..

Well, it is thick and pointy!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Someone needs to design a pick much like a thumb pick that will slip over your index finger and then all you would have to do is just place your thumb on top of it to insure that it wouldn`t fall off or slip....Come on you inventers out there, show your stuff...

Willie
    In Tony Sullivan's Irish Tenor Banjo book he describes a method of playing using what he calls a "thimble", essentially a small piece of plastic piping that slides over the first finger and is held their by the thumb. The piping is cut at an angle and the sharper edge is used to pluck the strings. I think he said Johnny Keenan used this method, and I think he may have used it himself (judging by recordings). It seems to give a little bit of a different tone, as you'd imagine. I'd also imagine it'd make strumming the strings very clunky, but of course Irish tenor banjo players typically don't do a lot of strumming.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ampyjoe For This Useful Post:

Don't be so obsidian... er, I mean obstinate!

That serrated edge just might just help out one's tremolo (or not)...

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

11. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ampyjoe View Post
    In Tony Sullivan's Irish Tenor Banjo book he describes a method of playing using what he calls a "thimble", essentially a small piece of plastic piping that slides over the first finger and is held their by the thumb. The piping is cut at an angle and the sharper edge is used to pluck the strings. I think he said Johnny Keenan used this method....seems to give a little bit of a different tone, as you'd imagine. I'd also imagine it'd make strumming the strings very clunky, but of course Irish tenor banjo players typically don't do a lot of strumming.
    Right, it's a melodic style and that book does show a "thimble" type pick that fits over the index fingertip. The thumb may just stabilize it, as if it were a round (as in around the finger) pick with a sharp edge.

http://thimbles.host-ed.me/Non_sewing.html

There's some medical (ugh) and unusual stuff about thimbles, but they mention thimble-type picks:

"Banjo players sometimes used to wear a thimble on the first finger for ‘stroke’ or ‘thimble’ playing. The thimble (Fig 21) was usually made of German silver and should not be thick or heavy. According to S.S. Stewarts Banjo and Guitar Journal in 1887, ‘In playing marches, etc., the entire execution is nearly always done with the thimble; that is, nearly all the notes are struck with the thimble, and the thumb is little used…"

Although the last is listed as a sewing thimble, it looks a lot like Sully's.

13. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

the Bickfords method.. index finger curled uptight, pick laid on top, then thumb holds it down .

Herco's thumb-flatpicks (of their heaviest gages) , will not fall to the floor if your grip is too soft.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

15. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

The topic seems to have turned its attention towards pick slippage and pick loss, which is natural, because an impressive percentage of the force holding the pick is just for preventing that. My longterm solution is still rosin powder (rubbed violently between thumb and index, your pick will stick to either and everything becomes much more relaxed).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

17. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Just getting around to reading this thread - have always been the thumb and index finger type of pick holder. However, I have seen and played with folks who use the pencil grip. Works for them. My grip may have changed around the time I first watched one of the Norman Blake videos where he describes his method of holding the pick and playing. That caused me to experiment a bit. However, at this point no longer remember whether I changed or not.

My main bad habit these days is gripping the pick too tight. Whenever I try to relax, the pick moves around too much and I can't pull a tone I want from the instrument.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

19. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

DavidKOS: I recently saw a picture of a clawhammer pick that looks exactly like your first picture, but i can't find the reference (probably on banjo hangout

Maybe somewhere on this thread are pictures of picks that are held by the entire length of the palm, if not: http://www.pykmax.com/ (this vendor seems to have faded out and only a few "Youth" sizes are available to buy

and pick # 10: http://www.guitarworld.com/acoustic-...e-be-different

and Zero Orbit: https://www.amazon.com/ZeroGravity-O...dp/B0002E1UNU/
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtani7 For This Useful Post:

https://youtu.be/AVHLyIDDwEk
    good view of this classical players pick grip. Certainly works for her

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fergus Lester For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

The topic seems to have turned its attention towards pick slippage and pick loss, which is natural, because an impressive percentage of the force holding the pick is just for preventing that. My longterm solution is still rosin powder (rubbed violently between thumb and index, your pick will stick to either and everything becomes much more relaxed).
    Sounds like you're rosin to the occasion!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Sounds like you're rosin to the occasion!
    It's a conversation piece, too. A concertina player asked what I had in that little tin box, and I told her to hold out her hand, snowed some of it on her palm and told her to rub and check the smell, and she did so (despite two fiddlers shouting "don't!") and found out she had to wash her hands before playing her concertina again.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus Lester View Post
    Let's see....

free hand, no planted pinky

pointed pick

lots of control

notice the small adjustments the 1st finger and thumb make while playing.

a fine example!

Interesting! I'm not saying either is right or wrong but what she is doing is definitely different from what Thile advocates. Both are using the the thumb and first finger, but she uses more of the pad of her first finger while Thile advocates using the side of the first finger (around the knuckle). It may seem like an insignificant difference, but the feel is very different (I have experimented with both methods before). I'm not saying either one is right or wrong, but rather, there are two different ways to use the thumb and first finger and it's useful to explore both of them to see which you like.

28. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Interesting! I'm not saying either is right or wrong but what she is doing is definitely different from what Thile advocates. Both are using the the thumb and first finger, but she uses more of the pad of her first finger while Thile advocates using the side of the first finger (around the knuckle). It may seem like an insignificant difference, but the feel is very different (I have experimented with both methods before). I'm not saying either one is right or wrong, but rather, there are two different ways to use the thumb and first finger and it's useful to explore both of them to see which you like.
    The player's hands are somewhat differently built, too.

And much of Caterina's picking is close to the bridge, for a bright, treble-y thing.

31. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

When I started back playing 2 years ago after about a 23 year lay off I decided to do things correctly or according to what professionals do, so to speak. So I took on line lessons advertised here. Sharon Gilchrist was my instructor of choice. She's a fine musician, explains in a plain manner, and of course she is very easy on the eyes. I try and hold the pick like she does. Which is similar to Mike Marshall. I do try and check myself from time to time, so I'm not using a death grip and I try to stay close to midway between the end of the fretboard and the bridge. Though, from time to time I find myself drifting towards the fret board. This is why I have begun to prefer "Non Florida" fret boards. More room. I honestly try not to get too much input any longer from the experts because I find myself getting confused. I just use the thumb/index with about 1/4" (give or take) of the pick showing. Relaxed grip, loose wrist, very little arm, though I do let the forearm travel up or down depending on where I'm playing. Of course bad habits come and go. Try not to rest the pinky anywhere. Hard habit to break. The strange thing about the pick grip is, that fabulous players like Marshall, Gilchrist or Thile, would likely sound great if they played the mandolin with a thump pick.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus Lester View Post
    Let's see....

free hand, no planted pinky

pointed pick

lots of control

notice the small adjustments the 1st finger and thumb make while playing.

a fine example!
    BUT - extreme concavity in the index finger to counter the pick forces, especially when doing tremolo. I wonder how the joints are going to take this in the long run, when she is, say, 65?. Reminds me a bit of the bent right thumb of box players.

The interesting thing about that video is the camera angle - we get to see what the player is seeing; we almost get to be the player. I must try that some time.

34. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

The way she is holding it,it looks like the 3 finger grip but with only 2,,is that correct classical form?...

36. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    And much of Caterina's picking is close to the bridge, for a bright, treble-y thing.
    Yeah, great tone!

BUT - extreme concavity in the index finger to counter the pick forces, especially when doing tremolo. I wonder how the joints are going to take this in the long run, when she is, say, 65?.
    She seems very relaxed, and not stressing anything ergonomincally, so I bet she'll be fine at 65.

The way she is holding it,it looks like the 3 finger grip but with only 2,,is that correct classical form?...
    She varies the angle of the pick, where she plays in terms of sul tasto and sul ponticello, alters her attack, etc. for phrasing and dynamics. I'd say that was "correct"!

38. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    If you look at David KOS's post at the diagram ''Holding the Plectrum'' - i hold mine as per the right hand side diagram,between my thumb & the end joint of my first finger. It works for me & right now i'm glad about that. I've now got Trigger finger in my right hand first & second fingers.The second finger doesn't bother me,it's been like that for a couple of years now,but my first finger is painful if i try to curl it up & it's stiff even holding the pick as i do. If i'd been holding the pick with my first finger curled up,i'd have had to adapt or give up,so i'm fortunate to have a pick grip that still works for me ,
    Ivan

Name:	Pick grip.JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	161266
    I've been watching a lot of Johnson Mountain Boys videos and it looks like David McLaughlin has a very similar grip. So you're in good company!

40. The following members say thank you to doublestoptremolo for this post:

Blog Entries

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

42. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Thank you!

And lest you miss the finer points of my comment, allow me to re-state it...

Thank you!