Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going all acoustic

Default Re: Going all acoustic

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone else who plays/has played both electric and acoustic music has gotten rid of all their electric gear and gone full acoustic, and how that has played out.
    Electric guitar was my main deal for a long time, and I played in many bands when I was younger. Nowadays, I'm usually up and out of bed about the time I used to go to bed after a gig. The real clincher is that I also have tinnitus now, and owing to that and barring a cure in the next 20 years, I doubt I'll ever play in an electric band again. I've really been digging back into the mandolin and flattop guitar lately and enjoying it more than ever.
    There's a really nice Collings dread I'd like to pick up, and selling my Tele and Deluxe Reverb and all that would fund that purchase. I have one kid who has a vague interest in the guitar, but it's not her passion that way it always was for me.
    So, has anyone else put the electric years behind them and: a) felt a wonderful sense of freedom, b) been seized with bitter regret afterward, or c)none of the above?
    Thanks for your time.
    Been there done that, deeply regretted it, and came back to electrics with a vengence.

All things come and go, and, come back.
    Take a hiatus, even if for a year or longer.

I suggest that you will miss the electric. Its ease of play, feel, and endless sounds.

I was playing a lot of rock with one set of musical friends.

Ive been playing acoustic music now for seven plus years. Mando, guitar, banjo, bass, But, i love to add color and variation to certains songs with low volume electric and effects. Ditto keyboards. A little bit of sonic " seasoning" to the sound can totally change the feel.

Its not either/or. Each has a richness and fit, unique to it.
    If you can afford to, and love your electric ( or did), hang on to it. I think in time you will miss it. Part will be you, part can be the situation you play in.

I happen to love playing my les paul early sun morning, when my wife is still asleep.
    On the couch, headphones, processor, light strings, huge sound, low volume, drum track, bass track, all to myself. I can do things on an electric that are considerably more difficult, if not at all, on my martins.

Nothing like an electric that you love.

2. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

"...Miss the electric"(?)

I learned banjo, mndln, pedal steel, flat-top gtr from LZ records, and quit listening to rock mid 70s (glam)...I could have danced all night.. (I was into it). But what'r you gonna do? I hear ya, dirty is still fun. I assuage it with a reso, bit of cajun fidding..
    But tech has helped us move on. Discrete machines from Fishman, Roland, et al, midi, capacities for mixing, coloration, projecting, etc...it's a cool electronic world now, even for the acoustic player.

Love that part in "it might get loud" where page remarks how it (link wray) hooked him.. https://youtu.be/KVcS7KDf60s

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post

All things come and go, and, come back.
    'Cept the ears.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Oct-03-2017 at 1:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    I happen to love playing my les paul early sun morning, when my wife is still asleep.
    On the couch, headphones, processor, light strings, huge sound, low volume, drum track, bass track, all to myself. I can do things on an electric that are considerably more difficult, if not at all, on my martins.

Nothing like an electric that you love.
    Yeah, I've been a Fender guy most of my life, but right now I have a really great '91 Les Paul Standard. It's one of those that makes you want to play it, but, not being in a band and not seeking to be in a band owing to the aforementioned tinnitus problem, I'm not getting everything out of that guitar that should be gotten out of it. I started to play it last night while the family was out but was deterred by the thought of setting all the stuff up and tearing the stuff back down when I was through (I don't really have a dedicated room to leave an electric rig set up, and one of our dogs is a chewer, anyway).

Thanks again for all the input and opinions everyone.

... gotten rid of all their electric gear and gone full acoustic, and how that has played out. ...
    I did the opposite. I started out acoustic, I wouldn't have touched electric with a ten-foot pole.

Decades later, I dumped all my remaining acoustic instruments and, after a few years of doing without music at all, then I got into electric.

Best decision I ever made!

I didn't know what I'd been missing! I'd mistakenly thought the only thing electrics were good for, was distorted noxious racket associated with a, er, 'lifestyle' that I wasn't interested in. But man was I wrong!

The variety of sounds available on just *one* electric instrument run through a Roland Micro Cube, [1] totally knocks the socks off of any acoustic instrument I've ever had. You can play with a variety of sweet and clean sounds if that's your mood (usually, for me), or - without even changing instruments - turn a couple of knobs on the Roland and play some entirely different sounds. It's awesome fun to tinker with.

IMO just being able to have a little reverb and hear it while playing (not something tacked on later), is *so* much better than what I used to do seeking out deserted stairwells and tunnels and parking garages just to make an acoustic instrument finally sound good.

The thing is, when I was still pure-acoustic, I was always chasing a dream sound, but never quite finding it (I wonder if that's why people have MAS?), the closest I'd get was the aforementioned stairwells and whatnot, but it was fleeting because I couldn't just take up permanent residence there, I had to eventually go back home and play with the dull dry boring no-reverb acoustic-only sound. But who has the time (or gas money) to drive around to stairwells and parking garages every time you want to practice a few tunes? It's so much better to get *that* nice sound in your own living room! That's why I (now) love electric instruments, the sheer versatility of the sound, and I just like the sound better.

However I've recently started playing acoustic banjo again (examples here and here), just because a banjo was loaned to me - wasn't really my idea, they thought I should have a banjo to play - and I figured I might as well get some use out of it.

... I started to play it last night while the family was out but was deterred by the thought of setting all the stuff up and tearing the stuff back down when I was through (I don't really have a dedicated room to leave an electric rig set up, ...
    Hm... Well I guess I'm doing it the simple-minded way or something, I don't even have any pedals yet, I have a solid-body electric instrument and the aforementioned small Roland cube that I plug headphones into. Those two items take up hardly any space, I keep them next to where I sit at my computer all the time in the living room, within arm's reach. Also within reach is a mandolin with cheap piezo pickup which I also run through the Roland (that's probably the wrong amp for a piezo but I use it anyway because it's what I already have), so I just grab whichever instrument appeals to me at the moment, reach down and press the switch on the amp which sits just below my chair, and start playing. Couldn't be easier unless I kept an instrument on my lap all the time. My wonderful SO is tolerant of my musical aberrations, as I am with his hobbies - he has 1940s/1950s car parts in the living room (for use in this kind of activity), I have my little mini nest of musical stuff. I think my use of headphones has a lot to do with how well my electric music is tolerated!

... one of our dogs is a chewer, anyway...
    Oh... yeah that can be a problem. We don't have dogs anymore, but when we used to have dogs, although they didn't chew nor knock things over, one of the dogs used to like to camp out behind my little Roland amp, and there was always a new layer of dog hair on my amp every time I went to use it, plus sometimes the knobs got slobbered on or bumped out of adjustment. Minor issue compared to the chewing you mentioned though.

---
    Footnote:
    1. NFI with Roland Micro Cube, I only mention that brand because it's the only amp I've ever used and it's the only one I have any experience with. One would suppose that there are probably other brands that would have a similar functionality but I have not tried other brands.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Oct-03-2017 at 8:12pm. Reason: Fix link.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    IMO just being able to have a little reverb and hear it while playing (not something tacked on later), is *so* much better than what I used to do seeking out deserted stairwells and tunnels and parking garages just to make an acoustic instrument finally sound good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Srsly-Rabbit-Meme.jpg?fit=625%u00252C835&s=.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	161243

7. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Srsly-Rabbit-Meme.jpg?fit=625%u00252C835&s=.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	161243
    Yes, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post

I didn't know what I'd been missing! I'd mistakenly thought the only thing electrics were good for, was distorted noxious racket associated with a, er, 'lifestyle' that I wasn't interested in. But man was I wrong!

The variety of sounds available on just *one* electric instrument run through a Roland Micro Cube, [1] totally knocks the socks off of any acoustic instrument I've ever had.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'd have to say, though, with all the early morning woodshedding (really, garage shedding) I've been doing, I've been able to get a greater range of sounds from my mandolin and flat top than ever before.
    I think part of my anti-electric movement took root last year. My family and I were able to see a famous guitar player who had been one of my favorite players/composers on recordings; though such a thing is not usually associated with the field he comes from, he's known for not shunning pedals and such for adding texture to his music. I was really stoked that we were able to see this fellow play live, and...it was perhaps the least inspiring performance by a major guitarist that I've ever seen live. That show was a turning point of sorts, and I still remember sitting in that auditorium thinking, "I never want to play electric guitar again."
    I have, and I've bought and sold probably 3 or 4 electric guitars and an old Fender Twin in that time (even though said artist was playing through Twins that night), but something was really lost for me at that show. The next day, a friend I've played a lot of music with asked me what I thought about it. I freely offered all my criticisms of the performance (and I'm in no way saying the artist played badly--something about the whole presentation just had a very negative effect on me) and he replied, yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you're saying, but I enjoyed the show. Different strokes.

10. The following members say thank you to Willis for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

I think part of my anti-electric movement took root last year. My family and I were able to see a famous guitar player who had been one of my favorite players/composers on recordings; though such a thing is not usually associated with the field he comes from, he's known for not shunning pedals and such for adding texture to his music. I was really stoked that we were able to see this fellow play live, and...it was perhaps the least inspiring performance by a major guitarist that I've ever seen live. That show was a turning point of sorts, and I still remember sitting in that auditorium thinking, "I never want to play electric guitar again."

In the same vein, I used to really, really enjoy Phil Keaggy. Saw him in 1971 when he played in a group called Glass Harp and a few subsequent times after he moved into the Christian music arena. Just a fabulous guitar player. However, the last time I saw him, maybe six or so years ago, he was using so much special effects in his acoustic guitar playing that I left the show feeling kind of meh. It was all about the electronics at that point and his superb playing ability was overshadowed. YMMV.

IMHO acoustic & electric guitars are two separate animals. I do own a few of both. I have a four string electric mandolin. At the time, couldn't live without it. (Didn't cost much. Doesn't take up much room) But I most often prefer the sound of an acoustic mandolin. (F holes as apposed to oval hole) But being a fiddle player mainly, I take a pragmatic approach. I use a pickup on an acoustic fiddle, rather than playing into a mike, simply because of less feedback. I know they make some crazy nice electric fiddles, but their sound just doesn't jibe with the folks I play with. I know there's electric jams but I stay away. When I jam, it's unplugged acoustic. I have managed to stay away from drums for the most part. I feel i very much need good hearing to play fiddle.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... I'd say keep your favorite piece and buy a quality acoustic with the remaining funding. There are plenty of used quality instruments out there from folks that either gave up or moved up or ran into trouble and had to sell. Collings makes a fine instrument .... be patient and enjoy the search. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    IMHO acoustic & electric guitars are two separate animals.... I feel i very much need good hearing to play fiddle.
    Most definitely, and that has become more and more apparent to me the deeper I get in to playing acoustic (and I've been playing mostly electric for about 40 years). I was very deeply into fiddle playing over the past couple of years, but, yes, the tinnitus has compelled me to lay that aside. If ever a tinnitus cure was found, I would rush back to the fiddle, not the electric guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    In the same vein, I used to really, really enjoy Phil Keaggy. Saw him in 1971 when he played in a group called Glass Harp and a few subsequent times after he moved into the Christian music arena. Just a fabulous guitar player. However, the last time I saw him, maybe six or so years ago, he was using so much special effects in his acoustic guitar playing that I left the show feeling kind of meh. It was all about the electronics at that point and his superb playing ability was overshadowed. YMMV.
    I used to listen to him a lot, too; I still have The Master and the Musician on vinyl, and that's a really good album. That's really cool that you saw him play live with Glass Harp. A couple of friends saw him a few years back and commented that he was using a looper pedal or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Well .... I'd say keep your favorite piece and buy a quality acoustic with the remaining funding. R/
    That's pretty much what my wife says: keep the old Tele, sell the amp. To me, though, that Tele and my Deluxe Reverb are a matched set. I got them both at about the same time and have played through that rig in many bands at countless gigs. As long as the tinnitus persists, though, no more electric bands for me. The last electric gig I played proved to be painful. Our drummer wasn't loud, but the noise of the crowd talking over the music and applauding (occasionally, at least) was a problem.

If I could only choose one, it would be acoustic. But do you really have to choose?

That's pretty much what my wife says: keep the old Tele, sell the amp. To me, though, that Tele and my Deluxe Reverb are a matched set. I got them both at about the same time and have played through that rig in many bands at countless gigs. As long as the tinnitus persists, though, no more electric bands for me. The last electric gig I played proved to be painful. Our drummer wasn't loud, but the noise of the crowd talking over the music and applauding (occasionally, at least) was a problem.
    That IS a nice pair.
    I too love teles.

Fwiw, i have several tube amps, Of varying sound and size, and....a roland cube 80 x, which i love, easy to haul. Has become a fav due to the simplicity of grab and go. Amazing clean sounds.

I have to say this little, inexpensive , solid state roland delivers on mando, too, with a lr baggs DI.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Oct-04-2017 at 10:02am.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Browne View Post
    If I could only choose one, it would be acoustic. But do you really have to choose?
    No, I'm not in a "have to" situation, at least not right now, but another big part of this that I don't think I mentioned is a desire for greater focus in my music. As another poster pointed out, electric and acoustic are two different animals; the technique involved is very different. I feel like I waste a lot of time and don't gain any ground switching back and forth. For the past three weeks or so, I've been going out to the garage while everyone else is still asleep and playing mandolin and occasionally flat top for an hour or so every morning, and I've gained more ground doing just that than I have noodling around on *whatever instrument* for the past several years. About twelve years ago I was involved in a very intensive music project that involved playing nothing but electric guitar and I really let the mandolin slide. Prior to that, I'd been making a point to play/practice on the mandolin at least an hour a day. I'd say now after three weeks of focused, daily playing, I'm playing better mandolin now than I was before all that electric mess 12 years ago.

Blog Entries

I am the opposite. I was all acoustic as a singer/songwriter for decades and then I got into electric guitar in order to play traditional electric blues. I am still an acoustic player first, but I go through periods of weeks where I play blues with my American Strat plugged into a tube amp. I can't give up either.

21. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

This is the dilemma I find myself in at the moment. I played electric guitar in bands for years, have a couple of electric guitars, amp, road cases and the works, but haven't actually played any of it in the last couple of years.
    I've been mainly focused on playing mando, and occasionally acoustic guitar. I live in a small condo, pay some rent to the band I played with last and store my gear in my old rehearsal studio. I too have wondered about getting rid of my electric gear and using the money to invest in a better mandolin. Haven't been able to pull the trigger though. It took me 10 years of scraping and saving to get all the gear I wanted, and years of playing and being on the road have created some serious emotional attachment to it.
    And even though I'm completely focused on acoustics at the moment, I do miss playing electric from time to time, and the idea of having to start again from scratch if I ever do decide to go back has kept me from selling it.

23. The following members say thank you to Lowlands Blue for this post:

I got rid of the 2 electric guitars (3 pickup Tele and ES-335) and amps in about 6 years ago. Can't let myself sell my Precision (first instrument I bought for myself, and I spent a lot of years as a rock bassist). Also sold all my PA gear last year before back surgery. I have an Eastwood mandocaster, but it hasn't seen the light of day for a few years. When I play out it's mostly mandolin with a little banjo. at home the Martin Shenandoah gets used for working out parts for recordings. I have to admit that the last year, I've been tempted to get a Tele with at a HB in the neck position to replace those 2 old friends, but I keep resisting that urge. I did sound for a group this past weekend that got a lot of texture out of voices, acoustic guitars, mandolin, cello, bass and that rare drummer who can play quietly and with a lot of personality. It reminded me that sonic sweetening from other voices can be found in acoustic sources, it's just that I normally end up in jams with too many guitars, a bass, and my mandolin or banjo.

All that said, there is a lot of emotional release in playing a distorted electric guitar. Needed it more when I was younger.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkwood View Post
    All that said, there is a lot of emotional release in playing a distorted electric guitar. Needed it more when I was younger.
    Big 10-4, especially the last 7 words.

But also, rock is the "folk" music of boomers and beyond, and before - being born of folk, encompassing all other styles, mixtures and traditions at one time or another, not just in music but in nearly every facet of socio-culture icon, stereotype, religious, economic, political, etc).

It's maybe the most impressive cultural imprint from the "leisure arts." Rock, rock 'n roll, and all its explorations, fusions, mutations, popular, subversive.. Long live rock.

And what's cool is that we can dissect it, again, play bits or there, mandolin, et al... without too much withdrawl.

27. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

So then there’s the ‘KonMari’ method.

Marie Kondo says, “Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest. By doing this, you can reset your life and embark on a new lifestyle.”

Um, maybe not.

Next…

nah............

as the self appointed Philistine of the Café....

lifestyle is overrated.....
    toys are where its at, in part.
    And friends to help you play with your toys.

I am no longer young, nor cute, nor hold promise of a bright future.....

BUT

Great stuff can make me joyful. That makes me grateful.

he who dies with the most toys wins.....
    not so sure about grey cells......

LOL

Blog Entries

I have little interest in the noisy rock I played when young, or the loud orchestral music I made a living at. That said, no one performs unamplified except in classical music. What I like now is the instrument that plays most expressively and amplifies well, which for both goals is my Buchanan. My electric violin sounded dull, my electric viola also was not very pleasing, and my two solid-body electric mandolins are ok but not as rich-toned as the Buchanan. It is fitting in with a jazz quintet of two saxes, piano, bass and drums, taking the role of guitar, only better.

So I am all acoustic-electric. The clincher is the 10-string sounds better via pickup than microphone when recording. But loud is very unwelcome, so the jazz workshop group is pleasant because the drums are gentle and tasteful. I also like playing with friends using only conga as the drums for a softer result. The choro folks sometimes use a drumset but with hands instead of sticks.

It's the volume that mainly matters to me---enough with the belly-shaking loud of big amps and loud drums.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

31. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

I haven't owned an electric for six years, I guess. Played one with friends' band a few months ago. It was heavy. And my ears hurt. I sort of miss pretending to be Pops Staples, but Otherwise I don't miss it. I never liked messing with all that gear anyhow.