Thread: Your favorite Big Muddy and why!

Default Your favorite Big Muddy and why!

I'm looking to buy a Big Muddy. I've heard all the sound clips and they all sound great with subtle differences. I'd like to hear some real world experiences. I wish I could try in person but I don't believe they are in retail stores. I will mainly be playing classical and Old Time music.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your favorite Big Muddy and why!

I tried a few and fell in love with the M-11. I little bit richer sound I think.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I tried a few and fell in love with the M-11. I little bit richer sound I think.
    How were you able to try a few? What is your main playing style? Which other models did you try?

Blog Entries

As I recall there were several Big Muddy mandolins hanging there, but the M-11 was the only all mahogany. So that could well be what made the difference.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well this thread came at the perfect time. I am also looking into getting a Big Muddy.
    I love this video of Brian Oberlin demoing some of the different models, but still I want to try them out for myself first. Hopefully at Wintergrass I'll have the opportunity...

In any case, I would love to hear first hand experiences too!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreThanQuinn For This Useful Post:

Just a question, and this seems like a good place to ask it. What's the neck profile on Big Muddys like? Chunky, thin, etc? I've never played one, but have always been curious to try one out.

I can't really answer the question, but my new M11 jumbo should be delivered tomorrow. Mike has been an absolutely wonderful person to work with. I had him install a K&K pickup during construction and he has been sending me updates the whole time. He started on it quickly and it was done with only a very short wait. I am extremely excited to receive it!

Now, why did I chose the M11? I am a big fan of mahogany instruments. I think it's just about the perfect tone wood for acoustic instruments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tmcmakin View Post
    I can't really answer the question, but my new M11 jumbo should be delivered tomorrow. Mike has been an absolutely wonderful person to work with. I had him install a K&K pickup during construction and he has been sending me updates the whole time. He started on it quickly and it was done with only a very short wait. I am extremely excited to receive it!.
    You are going to love it.

I think it pairs very well with the mahogany Martin guitars. My brother plays a 00 18 and we play together sometimes. The instruments have a kind of family feel.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    You are going to love it.

I think it pairs very well with the mahogany Martin guitars. My brother plays a 00 18 and we play together sometimes. The instruments have a kind of family feel.
    That's great to hear! I have a D15M, so they should go well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Miltown View Post
    Just a question, and this seems like a good place to ask it. What's the neck profile on Big Muddys like? Chunky, thin, etc? I've never played one, but have always been curious to try one out.
    This is based on my M-0. I think it's fine. Maybe close to my Gibson A Jr. But not as thick moving up the neck towards the body. For my hands and my playing style, it's nearly perfect. But I've only had mine for a little while. After a year I'll have a more informed opinion.

That's why even though I like the understated look of my M-0 the best, it would be tough to justify why I consider it a favorite. Needs a lot more playing time, and time in jams and practice to see if it's as good as I think it is.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My mando journey began about 18 years ago with my M2. I've acquired other instruments since but didn't know I'd do that when I bought my Mid Mo. I went with maple as that was the "conventional wisdom" tonewood. As other instruments have served different purposes for me, I've often wished I'd gone for walnut or mahogany. I think a warmer tonewood would suit that type of instrument more for me. That being said, I've been very happy with it, it's served me very well.

I have always been happy with the quality and playability of the instrument and Mike Dulak once repaired a loose brace for free for me despite the warranty being expired. It's easy to forget how few really good choices were available back then at that price point...that you could get a quality hand built instrument for a few hundred dollars was really remarkable. You'll never be sorry you bought one.

I must add that my awareness of those instruments and just about everything I know about mandolins, I learned here. We all owe a tremendous amount to Scott, he's really changed a lot of lives.
    Steve

I have a 20 year old M4 Mid-Mo. This far out the most that's happened to it is a little wear in the finish. Mike recently sent me a kit and instructional video to patch the finish up. Part of owning a Big Muddy is basically having it insured for life as Mike personally responds to emails and calls and goes out of his way to help his clientele. That alone makes Big Muddies worth it in my opinion.

As for the sound, my M4 is has gorgeous tone, bright without being tinny. Mid range always gets the oohs and aaahs out of listeners. I personally find the neck a little narrow, but I am used to Eastmans and those necks are thick. At some point I'd like to get a jumbo M-11. Every vid I've heard just has amazing tone.

I think you've made an excellent choice though. You really cannot go wrong with a Big Muddy and Mike is tops.

Blog Entries

I am also an all mahogany M-11 lover. The walnut and rosewood backed ones are also very nice tonally, to my ear but the M-11 has the looks and tone I really like.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Just curious. Does anyone have any experience with the M-7? I absolutely love the look of it on the website, but there is not audio clip, nor can I seem to find a video of it in action.

I've never been able to try one, I'd have to go on looks alone. Nobody does that when it comes to mandolins, do they?

On a serious note, it _would_ be nice to see them in the wild sometime.

Blog Entries

I would suspect the M7 to have a darker voice than a M1 Maple under spruce top. Similar to the M-11 all mahogany one... at least more towards it than towards the M-1. My Spira cant top - flat back mandolin has Engleman over Australian Sheoak (which is similar in density to a rosewood) I love it's voice. It is my main mandolin. If you're not looking to sound like a grasser, that could be a cool unique mandolin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I've only ever played one, it was my cousin's so I'm not sure exactly what model it is, but honestly I wasn't that impressed with it. I just find the tone to be sub-par. But again, that's the one and only big muddy I've ever played.

While we're on the topic. Are there any Big Muddy owners in Seattle who would be willing to let a potential Big Muddy buyer try one out in person? I've been dying to try one of these out, but I haven't been able to find one in the area.

I'll be at Wintergrass if that helps provide a common meeting point!