Thread: Mando Bass Bridge ?

Default Mando Bass Bridge ?

Hello all -

I am new to the forum, plus (horror of horrors) I am one of those noisy brass players.
    A few years I acquired the collection of a musican friend. One of the items ( no sold ) was a neck from a Gibson Mando Bass.

While going through a box of his drum hardware I came across this bridge which I think may have come from the same (now deceased) Mando bass. It's footprint (base) measures 7.5" long by 1.25" wide. (see photo)

1) Is this indeed a Mando Bass Bridge?
    2) What is a fair market price for it?
    3) Where should I post it for sale?
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandobass_IMG_7940.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	439.0 KB 
ID:	161130

Default Re: Mando Bass Bridge ?

Well, it may be a mandobass bridge, but (a) it's missing its saddles; (b) it is not an original Gibson mandobass bridge. Original bridges are taller, with two legs extending down from the base:

Name:	2883Gibsonmandobassbottom.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	161131
    Perhaps the late mandobass had neck problems and someone tried to fix the high action by making this lower bridge instead of resetting the neck.

If it were original and had its saddles, it could be worth as much as $250 to $400, I'd imagine. Since it isn't, and doesn't, it's probably worth about a tenth of that.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Mando Bass Bridge ?

Well thanks for responding, but the underside is smooth and has not been sawn or sanded. So it must be for something else. (click on the photos for a closer view).

Name:	IMG_8108.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	161381

Name:	IMG_8110.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	161382