Thread: 3 string chords

Default 3 string chords

Most importantly, when playing the F chord or movable D chord where the E string isn't played, do you guys stop your strum short or do a full strum just making sure to move your hand to miss the e string? Thanks.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: 3 string chords

I usually mute the unplayed E string with the fleshy side of the curling-around-the-neck index finger. But that was just my own, uhm, discovery, not from a teacher, or from a book that I can recall.

3-string F chord? Would that be based on 5301, but leaving the F on the 1st string (E) unplayed?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

3. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jarednye View Post
    Most importantly, when playing the F chord or movable D chord where the E string isn't played, do you guys stop your strum short or do a full strum just making sure to move your hand to miss the e string? Thanks.
    Don't try to miss it with your pick. Hit it but have it muted by fretting hand/fingers.

If you come from playing guitar your fingers tend to arch over the E strings with tips pointing back at your thumb.

I was taught a more down the fretboard approach with less arch in my fingers on the board and that allows easy muting of the E strings when fretting 3 finger chords. It felt right and only took about a week to make the change.

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Thanks, but when playing only two strings, the two middle strings to be exact, do you mute the top and bottom strings or do you aim for just the two you're trying to play? Thanks again.

I don't mute, I aim. As you pointed out in your second question, this translates better to partial chords/double-stops.

8. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post:

In the 2 note middle strings I skip over the G string and mute the E. I need the follow thru to stay in time, can't imagine trying to stop short of the E string.

3 string F chord is usually played 2-3-3, i.e., with the 3rd (A) in the bass.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

Thanks, but when playing only two strings, the two middle strings to be exact, do you mute the top and bottom strings or do you aim for just the two you're trying to play? Thanks again.
    Double stops or 2 adjacent strings are different and I aim to just hit the two strings. I don't normally play rhythm by strumming double stops so if that's the intent I'll leave the suggestions there for those that do.

But playing aggressive rhythm with 3 finger chords that call for the E string to not be played will absolutely have that E string peaking out now and then if you don't mute it. Loud and proud and usually wrong

Blog Entries

I do a lot of double stops standing in for chords. It implies the chord very well and they are quick to navigate between.

I also play a lot of three string chords.

With practice I have gotten so that I can hit just the strings I want, without damping. It is easier when the configuration includes an edge string, either the e or the g.

Most two finger double stops can be expanded to a three finger chord pretty easily, so if the double stop is in the center there is a benign way to add a string on one or the other edge to make it easier to strum.

When using a three finger chord for a blueegrass chop, there is a choice between the top three or the bottom three. I pick the bottom three to get that good deep woof into the sound. I think I learned that from a Mike Marshall video.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

For three finger chords, like a D at 7-4-5-x, I typically mute the E string with my fretting hand's pinky. Keeps it ready to fret, and fits me better than using the flesh of the index finger. No right or wrong in this case, just what works best for you...

If I only want to play the 2 middle strings, then I typically just hit those strings.
    Last edited by CES; Sep-29-2017 at 12:54pm.
    Chuck

Yes, mute--pushing the base of thumb/finger onto the two outside string sets.
    It's an automatic thing. I don't have to aim or think about what to miss.
    The lazy man's approach to mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    Yes, mute--pushing the base of thumb/finger onto the two outside string sets.
    It's an automatic thing. I don't have to aim or think about what to miss.
    The lazy man's approach to mandolin...
    Very interesting, I seem to have picked up using the thumb to mute was not proper mandolin technique. Is that not true?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

When playing chords, I include the 4th string in the chord about 99.9% of the time for 2 reasons: I like those low tones in chords, especially when singing, and as said before, it's hard to avoid hitting the 4th string when you're playing a bunch of chords.
    So, the 1st string turns out to be about the only one I ever need to 'not play' and I just slightly lean whichever finger is on the 2nd string over to touch and mute the 1 st string. If it doesn't get totally muted, it doesn't matter in my context. I can't remember anyone ever complaining that: " hey, you hit that E string!"
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Very interesting, I seem to have picked up using the thumb to mute was not proper mandolin technique. Is that not true?
    "Proper" is in the eye of the beholder. I would tend to find a 3rd note on the G string for a fuller sound. Rather than mute it.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    "Proper" is in the eye of the beholder.
    Indeed! AND varies by genre. Much of what we roots (incl. BG) and/or rock folks do (on guitar as well) would horrify the classical crowd, and vice versa. And probably each other!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson