Thread: Bill Monroe Live at Mechanics Hall

Blog Entries

Came across this copyrighted article and asked the author, Scott McClennan for permission to republish here. Heard back today and he was happy to have it reproduced here he said. I think you'll enjoy this. I sure did.

----------------------

Copyright New York Times Company Oct 7, 2004

David Grisman recalls Mechanics Hall in Worcester as a "big, dark place."

In 1963, Grisman pulled a little magic out of that big dark place when he recorded a performance there by bluegrass legend Bill Monroe on Nov. 16 of that year.

"Bill Monroe and The Bluegrass Boys Live at Mechanics Hall" arrived in stores this week and offers a glimpse into a bygone era.

The players dressed in suits and cowboy hats, stood before the hall's Hook organ and sang harmony-heavy gospel-rich songs set to frenetic blasts of mandolin, banjo, bass and fiddle. The Bluegrass Boys seem alien in comparison
    to the tuxedoed and gowned artists that now typically grace the Mechanics Hall stage with their cellos, flutes, pianos and other instruments of classicalmusic.

Mechanics Hall itself was 14 years away from the renovation that eventually brought out the luster we now associate with the 147- year-old concert venue.

Looking at the photos included in the CD package makes it understandable how a Grand Ole Opry staple made it into Mechanics Hall rather than Indian Ranch at that point in history.

Today, the hall most typically plays host to classical music performances, and recordings made there are done on top-notch equipment with the intent of commercial release.

In '63, Grisman simply stuck up a microphone that was patched into a reel-to-reel recorder he lugged to the event. Grisman, himself an acclaimed mandolin player whose style-leaping sound is tagged "Dawg music," was, at the time, looking to expand his skills by studying the masters, and none was more formidable than Bill Monroe. In 1963, the father of bluegrass music was traveling with a couple of "sons" in the form of guitarist Del McCoury and banjo player Bill Keith (who was known as "Brad" in the band). Both McCoury and Keith are now recognized masters in their own right of traditional American music.

Bluegrass was hardly a hot commodity in the Northeast at the time, so Grisman often traveled from his New Jersey home to catch an act. Being in acoustic-music circles brought Grisman in contact with banjo player Keith, a Brockton
    native who landed a spot in The Bluegrass Boys in 1963.

"I was friends with Bill Keith and got permission to record the concert. It was one way to get the music. Back then, it was hard to get the records these guys made," Grisman said.

In addition to all his own playing and recording, Grisman, who relocated to San Francisco in 1969 and helped introduce the bluegrass sound to a younger, rock-oriented audience with the group Old and In the Way, oversees the Acoustic Disc record label, which released "Bill Monroe and The Bluegrass Boys at Mechanics Hall."

Grisman had been sitting on the tapes for more than 40 years and finally approached Monroe's son, James, about releasing the concert. In putting together the package, Grisman found out the McCoury's son, Ronnie, had photos from the event that belonged to his father.

"I was looking on the Internet for an angle to name the record. I didn't think anything about the hall, I thought it was like any one of a thousand little halls. But when I found out the history of the place, I thought it made for a
    perfect title," Grisman said.

Grisman, a student of Monroe and bluegrass, said the Bluegrass Boys was liable to show up anywhere when playing the East Coast in the 1960s. Grisman said he saw the band in both bars and Carnegie all during that era.

The '63 version of the group holds historical significance as it contained Keith and McCoury in their first major appearances.

"It's one of Bill Monroe's really important bands because of Bill Keith and Del McCoury. And Bill Monroe was at the height of his powers then," said Grisman. There are no other known recordings of Monroe and this version of The Bluegrass
    Boys in action.

The show is described in liner notes by bluegrass historian Neil Rosenberg as fairly typical of the time for Monroe. In the fall of 1963, Monroe was headlining a package tour of Grand Ole Opry stars including The Lilly Brothers and Grandpa Jones. Bea Lilly is heard joining Monroe's band for the gospel number "What Would You Give in Exchange?" Monroe's daughter, Melissa, is also heard for the first time on record singing with her father as she joined the band for "Love's Gonna Live Here" and "Dreaming of a Little Cabin."

The bulk of the set is stacked with Monroe "hits" such as "Muleskinner Blues," "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and "Uncle Pen."

"It's the sermon on the mount," Grisman said.

And though run-down at the time, Mechanics Hall proved a perfect setting for this recording. The bluegrass style involves the musicians singing into one microphone and naturally balancing their voices on harmony parts. The hall's ambient qualities made a decent recording possible, Grisman said.

Through the '60s, fans of bluegrass would trade such tapes, learning the repertoire being written in such places as West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee, and studying the picking skills country musicians cooked up to carry the tunes.

"If you were a fan, you really had to seek out the music," Grisman said. "I guess that makes bluegrass music for seekers."

And thanks to a fan-turned-musician-turned-record-label-owner, this is an artifact worth seeking.

-----------------------------

Additional note. The concert Live at Mechanics Hall was recently released by Acoustic Disc.

There is a CD of the same band, or almost the same,
    recorded at Newport. It has Billy Baker on fiddle;
    I haven't been able to find out who fiddles on this one!

Incidentally, I suspect
    Neil Rosenberg must be sitting on miles of tape
    of this band. I have owned a tenth copy of
    a live performance at Bean Blossom, from the time
    he managed the Jamboree. The fiddler is Joe Stuart.
    It had stuff Monroe never
    recorded, for instance a version of John Henry
    that differs greatly from the recorded version
    (in the key of E, I believe)
    and an ancient piece called Gospel Plow (or something,
    the sound quality was extremely poor).

Regarding live Bluegrass Boys shows from around
    the world, I have been collecting and listening
    to, I am not sure anymore how many hours, for
    years. I have collected or recorded these
    live shows since 1973. For me it is the only
    way to hear the many faces of the bands. I bet
    there are over 1500 hours around here including
    a lot of the shows from Bean Blossom.

I think it is great that David put out this show
    if it is intact and not cut up into songs. In my spare
    time I have been seeking funding to have this
    collection of mine put into the public library
    system so that it will be available to all for
    free to even the poorest bluegrass musician, however,
    what David is doing will reach far more people
    than any collector even if it is in a library
    for free. In doing so it will open people up
    to the musical value of these old recordings.
    When you think that David has a limited amount
    of time and capital to do projects, it is a
    statement to his attitudes that he would invest in
    a less profitable project such as this when he
    could be putting out his own new material.

If you want to hear Bill sing in tune, you go
    back to 1954 to 1958 and the harmonies will
    scare you. It is in tapes like these that you
    find yourself in the audience when Bill has
    just wrote and recorded Get Up John and just
    about everything else that he recorded or wrote.

Commercially recorded recordings are fine for
    what they are, but to get to know the bands
    and to understand the playing, the live shows
    are best as they show you more than just that
    one performance frozen in time.

What I need is either to fix my reel to reel
    machines, or get another working reel to reel
    machine so that I can continue to move tapes
    to 48k DAT.

Reel to reel tape survives surprisingly well
    over time unlike studio tape from the 1970's
    that gets gummy. I have saved shows... I can
    think of one show that was on a roll of tape that
    was first recorded on one machine in 1958, then
    recorded over in the 1960s on another machine
    with a different head tracking position. With
    work, I was able to move the heads on my machine
    to find a point where the new track was missed
    and the old 1958 track heard. On this tape
    Kenny Baker is singing in a quartet. There is
    also this great fiddling on the tape from back
    stage at the barn of someone practicing who
    was not Baker. This is really hot fiddling in
    the style of Monroe’s first instrumental album.

With Jimmy Martin, you have JD Crowe as he never
    plays today. JD is so bluesy and individual
    you just have to ask yourself why he doesn't
    play like that today.

I saw that Kenny Baker's fiddle style evolved
    from a rough Benny Martin sound to the smooth
    fat sound that he is known for at about 1969

Vintage live shows are great.

Jim Moss
    FWB

I suddenly realized that I was at that concert in 1963. I was attending Holy Cross College (Class of '66) at the time and a huge bluegrass and Monroe fan. I listening to the CD yesterday thinking that this sounded like every Bill Monroe concert I had ever been to and the Bea Lilly part was very familiar. Maybe I should have read the insert (it was put directly on my Ipod, one of the problems with the Ipod is that you don't have the literature to go with it.)

Mechanics hall was also the place I saw Ray Charles, a Grand Ole Opry show with Minnie Pearl (who was a friend of my mothers in Nashville), and Grandpa and Ramona Jones. It was dank but had great acoustics.

I was playing in a bluegrass band called the "Blackstone River Boys" (the industrial waste running through Worcester at the time) and we were on our way to fame and fortune (hah). Bill Keith was my idle and I only took up the mandolin later when I found out that any 14 year old with a banjo was better than I. I was 30 at the time.

I am glad you reminded me of this wondrful event and I guess I will have to read the insert now

That concert also took place one weeke before the death of JFK. My life was going along swimmingly at that time until his assassination, thien it changed quite a bit. Holy Cross, being a Catholic school, was very devastated (not that everyone wasn't, but we stopped school and just stared for some time) and it slowed down the music for me for qhite a while. I was high from seeing Bill Monroe and our band was going to play in a local folk club the next week. It was to be our big debut in a venue that had some pretty famous (later on) folk types. Seeing the Bluegrass Boys just made it more so.

I listened to the CD again and memories keep coming back at random such as how terrible I thought Melissa Monroe was at the time. I was more of a Flatt and Scruggs fan at the time (my parents knew the Williams brothers who owned Martha White at the time and we got free backstage tickets to the Opry. That was before I realized that if you walked in with a banjo, no one would stop you, especially on Friday night.) Bill Monroe was still the originator but until Bill Keith joined him, I was not as interested. Keith had been a big force in the Boston area prior to playing with Monroe and I knew who he was having seen him along with Jim Rooney in Boston. I think that concert made me pay more attention to Monroe who was not as well known outside of the South at the time. And it was probably the first time I really appreciated his singing.

I just got my copy today and promptly stuck it in the cd player of my car. It sure made driving in busy Friday traffic a lot easier to tolerate. I had to laugh as I heard Melissa's songs remembering Mike Keyes comments about how terrible she sounded to him. Her voice was certainly interesting! I see Mitch Simpson being thanked in the credits. For what I'm not sure but is this our Mitch Simpson? It is funny to hear Bill introduce Brad Keith as Bill wouldn't have another Bill in the group. It was also funny to hear Bill mention that they (he) missed a few notes on Rawhide. I thought he ripped it up pretty good and I really liked the emphasis on the rythm at the onset. I'm glad this cd was released. Thank you David Grisman.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

i think grisman (and jmoss) said alot when they referred to "seeking" out the live stuff. there is so much that is deeply moving about a live performance (esp. Monroe's, who side men constantly changed) and i'm just so glad that so many took the pains to lug those heavy reel-to-reels around back then and document this music. and to the performers who let them record! i think it is strange that back then they didnt seem concerned (as they did from the 70's on) about people recording the live shows and not buying the commercial recordings. Thats what i like about Del McCoury, his shows, everyone, are different and i could follow them around and never tire of them.
    From being a performer myself, i can tell you that a great venue and a great responsive crowd can make a very great performance.

I picked this CD up this weekend as well. Great, great stuff for any student of the mandolin. The version of Del doing "Dark Hollow" is one of my favorites.

jj

I bought it yesterday and was blown away. I have the Newport show with this line-up. But this one flows much better, if not better different.

Rick

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

is this the same show from mechanics hall that is up for download from bluegrassbox? same date,same place, same track list, same guests (bea lilly and melissa).

Live at Mechanic's Hall is the best Monroe recording I have have ever heard with the Bluegrass Boys (I only saw them once in person, in the late 80's). Great stuff. The whole band seems to be hitting on more cylinders, like Tone Monster said above, than the Newport recording (which I also have).

Grisman/Acoustic Disc did a great job! This one's definitely a keeper for me.

I haven't heard this CD yet, but I now know Joe Stuart is
    the fiddler, same as on the Bean Blossom tape I mentioned
    earlier.
    If the musical quality as anywhere near the BB tape
    (and the sound quality higher) I will have to buy this
    one.
    The Decca recordings emphasized Keith's treatment
    of fiddle tunes, but these live recordings
    show what he could do on *any* piece.

However, the very best tape I've heard with Monroe
    is a concert at the University of Wisconsin in 1967.
    Peter Rowan sings "Rain and Snow" and of course
    they had to do "Walls of Time". Also has a version
    of Wayfaring Stranger similar to the one recorded
    at B F Logan's house, with the mandolin-fiddle
    dialogue. And some very humorous moments like
    Monroe peddling the "Grand Ole Opry History Book"
    and putting down some of the "smart-aleck newcomers"

Ah!! - Joe Stuart "the sideman for all seasons" - RIP JOE STUART.

14. The following members say thank you to Moose for this post:

"However, the very best tape I've heard with Monroe
    is a concert at the University of Wisconsin in 1967."

Great recording!

"Peter Rowan sings "Rain and Snow""

I remember that Monroe doesn't play on this, nor did he want to, and the legend is that while the band played it he just stood there and just glared at Peter Rowen....

More Monroebilia and myth I guess....

YEP!!! - "..another Monroe(ism)..." and the beat goes on.. hee.. hee...

Default Re: Bill Monroe Live at Mechanics Hall

Melissa Monroe previously recorded for Columbia 1950-51.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Ah!! - Joe Stuart "the sideman for all seasons" - RIP JOE STUART.
    Boy, ain’t that the truth!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Boy, ain’t that the truth!
    For a fine example of Joe Stuart's guitar work, listen to the 1973 Bill Monroe concert at Humbolt University that's on youtube. Joe was one of my very favorite Blue Grass Boys.
    MadMax

My favorite line from the article is " bluegrass style involves singing into ONE MIC and naturally blending thiervoices on harmony." why don't we hear more of that today.