Thread: Dailey and Vincent

Default Dailey and Vincent

For Christmas, my wife got my dad and me tickets to see Dailey and Vincent. Somehow, I'd never heard of them. (There are some odd extenuating circumstances here. My wife usually doesn't buy me tickets to see bands I'm not a big fan of).

I skipped through a bunch of YouTube videos a little while ago, and I can't say I'm too taken by what I heard. I apologize for how dumb this may sound, but is pretty much everything they do gospel music?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Dailey and Vincent

A lot of it is gospel music, but they can cook some Bluegrass, too. Dailey was a part of one of my favorite Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver lineups, and the dude can flat sing and play. That said, I’ve never seen them live, so can’t comment on their show/setlist...I have their Patriots and Poets album, and enjoy all but one song I find a bit cheesy, though I’m sure there are plenty who love it.

Probably worth checking out, as the musicianship will be top notch regardless of the style/message...but, then, I love live music and will tolerate styles live I wouldn’t choose to download on iTunes if the musicianship is good; always something to be learned...
    Chuck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

From CES - ".....always something to be learned... ". Absolutely !!. Musicians that i know have put me onto bands that i'd never have listened to otherwise - ''Greensky Bluegrass'' for one. A friend of mine was over for Wintergrass a few years back & 'Greensky' were playing. He told me about them,i looked up a few YouTube clips & now they're one of my favourite 'alternative' bands.

Unless the music was really not to my taste,i'd never miss up on a chance to watch a Bluegrass band,Gospel or other wise 'live' ( i wish !),for the reason that Chuck gives,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

They did an album of, and performed a bunch of Statler Brothers songs, ie not gospel. They are excellent musicians and showmen.
    They'll put on a great show to please a broad audience.

Thanks guys. Hopefully the YouTube sampling was a poor representation.

For the record, I'm aware that gospel music is a cornerstone of bluegrass, and I don't mind that. I went to see Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers last summer and enjoyed the show. Hopefully this is along those lines. I went to a few Christian rock shows in college with my roommates, and one stopped mid show for a 20 minute mini-service. That's left me a little hesitant.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Darrin Vincent was with Ricky Skaggs for several years and he is the brother of Rhonda Vincent. Good pedigree.

They are a great band, superb vocal harmonies and great playing. Saw them at Wintergrass, just great. Maybe a little too slick for some, but great pros. Would love to see them again.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Vocal harmony is their main claim to fame. Almost brother harmonies.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Dailey & Vincent have a TV show on RFD-TV; if you have access to that channel, you can check them out weekly. I've seen them live and they're quite polished, talented and energetic. They're quite a bit on the slicker -- what I call "Branson" –– side of bluegrass, with a very arranged stage show, but their band is top-rank, and their vocals are really done well.

Jeff Parker, their mandolin player, is well worth watching and listening to, both as an instrumentalist and a harmony (and sometimes lead) vocalist. Darrin Vincent, as most people know, has a mandolin-playing, lead-singing sister named Rhonda.

When I saw them live, I really enjoyed the concert, but since I lean a bit toward "trad" bluegrass, it did seem a bit Nashville-ized, and not toward the "down home" side. Were I a fan of modern country music, Dailey & Vincent might be a great "gateway drug" toward getting interested in bluegrass; since I come from listening to Flatt & Scruggs, Stanleys, that side of the music, I could have used a little more "hillbilly." Just me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

D&V are a great show, most enjoyable, with a lot of humor, great vocal harmonies, virtuosic playing. I have seen and enjoyed them three times, though I'm far from a bluegrass fan.

Great talents but here lately they are sort of going away from real bluegrass because they do this for a living and they have to do what sells...I just watched them on a Christmas special on TV and although their singing was spot on their actions were way too "Nashville" like, but I can assume the producer called the shots, personally I do not like their TV show either, too corny at times...

Willie

I listened to a bit of their latest album today. There’s an instrumental called “Spring Hill” that’s really great.

Here's one of my favourite D & V songs ''Years Ago'',originally by the Stattler Bros. Another Stattler's song that they did - ''Susan When She Tried'' is also a terrific version,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.