Thread: Tabledit Question - ABC Question?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Tabledit Question - ABC Question?

OK, a question about what seems to me a strange phenomenon, and hopefully will generate some advice on how to fix it.

I imported ABC for a fiddle tune hornpipe into Tabledit, and as with many older notation sources, I did not particularly like the way it was notated. I added some measures to write it with first and second endings in both A part and B part, and adjusted the reading list accordingly.

The problem is that after adding a couple measures (and deleting a couple), the measure did not re-number in the page view ... the original measures retain their original numbers, the new added measures are not numbered at all. Any deleted measure's number is lost, as all measures retain their original numbers, period.

In the reading list dialogs, the correct measure numbers are used and recognized, while in the Tabledit page, the situation is as described above. I saved, closed, and re-opened the file, but the situation persists. Can anyone enlighten me on how I might fix this?

Oh, here is the file in question:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Sep-24-2017 at 8:19pm. Reason: file uploaded
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tabledit Question - ABC Question?

I checked your file and see the unnumbered measures. I know I have run into similar issues with measure numbering and not found an answer. In the reading list dialog, measure numbers are correct if you count the pickup as the first measure. So then you have to look at the score and say 'I know what measure it says it is, but what is it really?'. Then play it back and make sure you (and it) got it right. Kind of tedious.

One might call it a bug. I know I would. I think that whatever it is has persisted through several version updates too. It must be deeply embedded. Kind of like a red bug in one's soft parts.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Hmm. The only way I know of to fix stubborn TablEdit files like that, is to re-write them from scratch. I thought I'd try that (see files below) because it's a tune I might want to learn someday. But I changed two things: time sig now 4/4 because IMO it's easier to read, and I added a guitar track with complete GUESSES as to CHORDS. The chords might be all wrong, I'm not all that good at figuring out chords, but you can always Mute the guitar track.

Re-written tef file for use with TablEdit and TEFview:
    delaware-hornpipe.tef

(I realize that's only one tune, and it doesn't address the question of how to solve future dilemmas with other tunes.)

If you want something to PRINT, try the following pdf I made in MuseScore, it fits on one page:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delaware-hornpipe.pdf 
Views:	60 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	161044

I am assuming that you added first and second endings because you didn't want the repeat sign in the middle of the measure (because of the pick-up notes). That is interesting, because I much prefer repeats in the middle of the measure if there are pick-up notes involved. If the only reason for multiple endings is different pick-up notes, having the repeats in the middle shows the form and structure of the tune much clearer. I know that some notation books frown on middle-measure repeats, but I find them much more musically appropriate and easier to read.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

David L, yes, with a repeat in the middle of a measure you have a bar there, which divides into two measures, so the following measure doesn't have enough beats - I wasn't taught to read that way, and even though I can, I prefer to write it the way I like it.

JL277z, I'll check out your version, I think it's a good tune to learn. Written in 2/4 because it's meant to be played very fast. This tune was mentioned by greenwdse in his MandoCymru group in this post: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g..._message_62401

I've found three sources, the one in question here is good but I like another better, this just happens to be the first I started editing. Check out the other ABC here, there are two versions shown: http://tunearch.org/wiki/Delaware_Hornpipe

The first one there, by Ditson, has a better, lower register ending to the phrases, the second one is the one you already have, with simple high G notes there.

Here is the (unedited) tabledit version Ditson has:

Delaware_Hornpipe_Ditson.tef

And this is the one greenwdse links to: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...e_hornpipe.htm

Many thanks to you and Hank for weighing in on the measure count issue. I'll just have to print my sheets without the measure numbers, no big deal.

Oh, and I realize that all these versions are written to be played ABB although I'm writing them AABB

OK, correction, they are written AABB, the ABC code just doesn't translate that way in Tabledit ... Anyway, no matter, learning the tune and making an arrangement I like is the goal, the rest of this stuff isn't that important, just was wondering about the way the measure are numbered (or not) in Tabledit
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Sep-25-2017 at 12:03pm.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

What happens if you edit the ABC file to show the double endings? If you don't know how to do it, post the ABC file you have and I'll edit it.