Thread: Shertler has a short

Default Shertler has a short

Anyone ever have a short in the wiring of a Shertler? Mine is now several years old, and has seen a good bit of use. Tonight at band practice I lost my sound completely. Turned out I could get it back intermittently by wiggling the wire going into the mic. Rats.

I have a gig coming up in two days, so I'll get by using a regular mic, all I can do on short notice.

Anyone ever have this problem? Or attempted a repair? Finances don't allow a replacement at this time, unfortunately.

Default Re: Shertler has a short

Heard of this happening one other time.

Good news is that the used price on the old Schertler DYN-M keeps dropping. There's one on eBay now for $150.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Not sure if it was a short, but my Schertler stopped working in the middle of a gig. I contacted Steve at Eastman Guitars in California, he could not have been nicer, he took care of everything, I mailed him the pickup and got it back in less than a month no charge. This was 2 or 3 years ago, so things may have changed, but I'd start there.

'touching/knocking ' wood so far , no problems , but I don't get any gigs * to be dragging it out of the wooden box un packing it, and stepping on the wire repeatedly .

Weekly sit around the tables holding drinks and lyrics sheets, and swap old tunes with old friends
    is not really performance as much as socializing..

{Dyn M in the Box would be cheap to mail to Schertler USA, for repairs , they're in Seattle not Switzerland
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

You don’t say which Schertler mic. If it’s a handheld, or DYN M p48 etc it could be corrosion in the xlr connectors, or the lead or mic could have a dry joint.
    Start by opening the lead and resoldering the contacts with a fine tipped iron.
    With the mic if you’re short of time so can’t replace the tired connector, as well as opening it to confirm the joints, you can roll some fine grit sandpaper into a narrow tube grit side in and burnish the contact pins then roll it the grit in for the cable contacts.
    That should eliminate the most common fatigue type problems from the equation first.
    If it does, then be sure to swap out the connectors soon so you’re not storing a future failure.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I wouldn't sand anything, but plugging in and out several times to clean the connections is always a first start. If you have contact cleaner that would even be better. Oxidizing of the pins in the XLR or 1/4" plugs, over time, are a common cause of failure.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

A pencil eraser can be used to clean contacts. You also can use electrical contact cleaner but be careful with that stuff around instrument finishes.

[QUOTE= You also can use electrical contact cleaner but be careful with that stuff around instrument finishes.[/QUOTE]

+1, you should only be cleaning the end that goes into the PA. The pickup doesn't need to be on the instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Sorry

Never said, Installed or removable .?. Good Luck
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Never said, Installed or removable .?. Good Luck
    mine had the same issue a few years back , I shipped it to the distributor who sent it to Switzerland for repair, it was not cheap nearly 200 to fix it.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

That doesn’t sound like a short to me that sounds like a broken wire. If it reconnects and disconnects when you jiggle it.