Thread: mandolin case

Default mandolin case

Hi everyone,
    i'm looking for a case for my Loar lm400. I'm in the u.k and have come up with a couple of possibles. Firstly the Stagg GCA M mandolin case (good reviews on Amazon and sensible price) and the TGI Extreme Mandolin gig bag. Does anyone here own either of these cases and could comment on them, or recommend any alternatives available here in the UK, thanks in advance

Default Re: mandolin case

It really depends on how well you wish to protect your mandolin. Did your mandolin come with a case that you want to replace,or are you looking for it's ''first' case ?.

Look here - ''Gear4music'' inYorkshire :- http://www.gear4music.com/search/?st...lin+case&ref=h

I have a ''Gator'' case which will take either an "A" style such as yours or an "F" style. The SKB "A" style cases look very good,but i don't know much about them,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Unfortunately we haven't got as much choice here in the UK. I've done extensive searches for cases for my own mandolin, and the best I could find was the Gator lightweight case which aggravatingly didn't fit my mandolin. The Stagg case looks a lot like the case that came with my Eastman. Nice case but very heavy and not practical if you're walking it anywhere. If dropped I don't think it would protect the mandolin a huge deal, but then again if one is careful it should not be an issue. Overall - nice padding, has a small compartment for accessories, looks the business but it's heavy/awkward to carry and lacks any straps.

Personally, any hard case with hinges I have difficulty trusting staying closed (like if the hinges broke etc) so I always recommend using a short leather utility strap fastened round the middle to prevent the worst should the clasps/hinges fail. That may be me being paranoid, but it's a small affordable addition that gives peace of mind.

The link Ivan posted above has a great selection of cases, but it all depends on how much you're willing to spend, what level of protection you want, what method of carrying you want (shoulder strap or backpack straps), and what will fit. If you want something high end you could go for a Hiscox which are available from Hobgoblin. Or there are the Eastman fibreglass cases sold by Moon Guitars (one of which I'm currently waiting for myself).
    Last edited by Kalasinar; Sep-22-2017 at 5:38am.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

thanks for the quick replies, as someone just starting out with the mandolin, I think it will be a while before I venture out into the wide world with my Mandolin, I really just need a case to keep the mandolin safe from our 2 dogs,and my wife , when I'm not playing it, so weight isn't to much of a problem just need as much protection as is sensible

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah you need a case.... a gig bag is not a case. The gator case is a good option. The site Ivan posted a link to has several cases sufficient to protect your mandolin. The weight / protection / expense ratio is always in effect. Cheers .. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

For your situation, almost any case or padded gig bag would be fine. There's no need to go crazy protecting a mandolin that's just going to stay home. I'd suggest storing it in a location where the dogs can't get at it. As far as your wife goes, you're on your own .
    Someday you will probably want to go out and play with others in which case a lightweight padded case with backpack or shoulder straps is handy. Still needn't be expensive. I have the Boulder Alpine case and love it. It comes in colors which is handy if you go to a festival, take your mando out to play and leave the case in a big pile of black cases.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Gig bags are OK for keeping a mandolin/guitar in but they do have their limitations. They stop it from getting scratched and might protect it from the dogs but won't be much good if someone sits on it. Personally I don't like gig bags.

As for cases, as Kalasinar says, the mandolin might not fit it so buying over the net might not be a good idea unless you're prepared to exercise your legal rights and send it back.

There are two things here. First - A style mandolins tend to come in two sizes; i.e. "modern" (my words), which covers most of what is available nowadays (doesn't matter how much or little you're paying) and "Old", which covers the likes of vintage Gibsons and Eastman - surprisingly vintage gibsons fit very well in modern Eastman cases. I couldn't say what size your Loar is. Second - neck angle. The back of mandolin needs to fit flat against the inside of the case and in this position the neck also needs to be supported, usually at both ends. By way of example, a couple of years ago I bought a Gator (guitar) case from Amazon. The shape of the case was perfect for the guitar but when the neck was being supported by the two cradles there was a gap between the case and the back of the guitar. When the guitar back was pushed into the case, the far end of the neck stuck up stopping the case lid from closing. It's not so simple as finding a case which is the same shape as the instrument.

Blog Entries

In the lower price ranges, the 'Gator' ABS is probably the best you will find. There are also a few 'imitators' (own/unbranded) that are very similar in looks, but use even lower-grade hardware. The Gator ABS fit every A5/F5 style I have tried them with. Very decent case for the money. There is also the (UK made) Hiscox. This is a very respectable case, but quite a bit more bulky.

Gator ABS:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator_Astyle_2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	160996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gatormando2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	160997

Hiscox (fits F-styles well too):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hiscoxsilverangel.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	160998
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

From Kalasinar - "..(like if the hinges broke etc) ".. That would be a first on here - unless it was due to a case being very old !!.
    Most ''good'' quality 'branded' cases have strong hinges & latches,even the cheaper models in the brand. My 'used' Ellis "A" style came up in a standard TKL "A" style case,nothing special about it,but it stayed closed - the mandolin rattled around inside it a bit though = not a good fit.

Personally,if i was the OP,i'd opt for the Gator case,even if he's not 'playing out; right now. When he wants to,he'll already have a good case. I must admit to liking the SKB cases. The latches look a bit on the large side,but they've been designed to 'stay closed' Quote from the SKB site :- "....the case also features the new TSA recognized and accepted trigger release latching system ..,
    Ivan

Here's a link to the page with the case dimensions (presumably internal) :-
    http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...set=&c=75&s=75
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKB  A style case.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	161009  
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Can’t advise on a case but most online retailers here will give free returns so if you find a case you like the look of there’s little risk if it doesn’t fit apart from postage costs.

thanks for everyones input, I've ordered a gator case which should hopefully arrive this week, will let you know how good a fit it is for my mandolin when it gets here

I guess I'm too late to the party. These are pretty cool for roughly $22 USD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Racket case.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	161058