Thread: Kentucky 606 arrived in NZ

Default Kentucky 606 arrived in NZ

Typically in New Zealand we read forum discussions about new instruments , and then it is a few months before the first samples arrive here.
    . Six Kentucky 606 mandolin recently arrived in NZ. I was shown one, played it for half an hour - and bought it. I wouldn't normally buy an instrument so abruptly - can't afford to.... but I liked the neck shape, and the tone quality, and balance between strings ....and it was easily loud enough to play outside my favourite cafe. It is possible there may be variation between individual samples at this stage of production. But I certainly got a good one - and at a very reasonable price.
    Neck and body are plain wood and the top has the craziest grain I have seen in a long time. Colouring is a bit uneven ; warm brown, not as dark as the photos in earlier posts.
    None of which I care about! But it sounds good and it is a pleasure to play. It is also very neatly finished and NOT roughly sanded. And incidentally , the one i got has a radiussed ebony fingerboard. Congratulations Saga for making a really good basic model. I don't know where the other five have got to but you could ask Alistair.
    Best wishes from Kiwiland.

Default Re: Kentucky 606 arrived in NZ

Am amazed how good my 606 is.Every day it turns lighter,nice grain on top crazy grain on back.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy!

That said, "pics or it didn't happen" applies

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy!

That said, "pics or it didn't happen" applies
    Will supply plcs when fully lightened

Blog Entries

I just love Kentucky mandolins. Congrats and enjoy it for years!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

MAS just hit me. I usually do not like F style mandolins but something about the plainness (or crudeness) of the 606 appeals to me.
    I will make up my mind once I have had the opportunity to actually see and play one.
    I'm thinking the 606 may be a good replacement for my Eastman 305 which serves as my beater. The 305 has served me well but I am looking for a little more. If the 606 delivers at a sub $600.00 price point I may be inclined to bite in spite of the scrolls.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I've been looking seriously at this model, though I've never actually seen one. Can anyone tell me the nut width on this? I like the simplicity of this, very bare bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    something about the plainness (or crudeness) of the 606 appeals to me.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I will make up my mind once I have had the opportunity to actually see and play one.
    Yeah, I won't be buying one sight unseen, but as my current mandolin is a KM-150, after selling off my Flatiron and Weber (both great mandolins), I think I will be well disposed to the 606.

For anyone interested, there was just a shipment of these. I canceled my orders, but other dealers should receive them any day.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Pittsburgh Bill;1601930]MAS just hit me. I usually do not like F style mandolins but something about the plainness (or crudeness) of the 606 appeals to me.

I thought that I should add that to me the hallmark of a beater mandolin is one that sounds and plays well with structural integrity but WILL NOT RUIN YOUR DAY THE FIRST TIME IT GETS A DING. The 606 has that appeal to me.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)