Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Gold Rush be copyrighted?

Default Would Gold Rush be copyrighted?

I am trying to find the sheet music for the Bill Monroe/Kenny Baker tune Gold Rush and haven't had any luck so far. Would that tune be copyrighted, or does anyone know of a web site that might have the sheet music? Thanks.
    Daniel Kaufman

Default Re: Would Gold Rush be copyrighted?

I'm fairly certain Byron Berline wrote that tune, but I don't know if it is copyrighted or not.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Courtesy of this related discussion, here is a link to it in the cafe's tab library.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Unfortunately, I can't read tab. I was hoping for the standard notation.
    Daniel Kaufman

I'm with you as I prefer standard notation myself, and if you follow my link above to the related discussion, someone actually posted the dots as well. If you don't like that version, a few other versions are referenced in the thread, although you might need to research those suggestions to determine if they are in tab and/or notation.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Byron did indeed write it, as mentioned in several posts, and it is under copyright.

Here's a faily simple version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gold rush.pdf  
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I have the Dan Crary version in my head, so I'll use this version to fill in the gaps since it's been awhile since I've heard his playing. Thanks again.
    Daniel Kaufman

In Stacy Phillips and Kenny Kosek's *Bluegras Fiddle Styles* (Oak Publications, 1978) the transcription of the original recording of "Gold Rush" reads "Copyright 1971 Peer International Corporation." Under the title is printed "by Bill Monroe." At two of his concerts I've heard Berline describe "Gold Rush" as a tune he "helped Monroe put together." I don't know if Berline has ever claimed to be the tune's only composer. Anyone interested in this tune, particulary Berline's fiddling, might like looking at this transcription.

10. The following members say thank you to Randy Smith for this post:

GTison 

Roland White says in his instruction book that he witnessed Bill and Byron working out the finer details of the tune on the bus when Roland was playing guitar for Bill. He says that it is a "fiddle tune that Bill Monroe made up and fleshed out with Byron Berline on the bus." I met a fellow in Poplar Bluff, Missouri named "Foots" Duncan who says he played Mandolin for WSM when he was 15 during a short period after Bill injured his hand on his farm and was recovering. I can't find anything confirming him as a former "Blue Grass Boy" in the literature. "Foots" played the fiddle and often played a tune he called his "A Song" (key of A) which he claimed that Bill had stolen from him. I thought it had a familiar sound and finally figured out that it was probably the original "Gold Rush" so, in my mind, that lends some support for his story. I have found no documented evidence to support his presence in the band or involvement with the song other than his word, but the two tales seem to add up to "Gold Rush" having been a polished version of his original tune.
    BRW #12
    BRW #61
    Kentucky (Korean) 675

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Tony Rice insists it's Berline's tune. Unless Byron fills us all in, it's just one of those fun exercises in futility.

I think an old FRETS issue may have it noted out, with text from Byron. I'll look for it.

if you call Byron at his shop in Oklahoma, he'll tell you.

I've been wondering exactly how to go about finding out about copyrights. We're getting ready to record an old trad (I think) tune called Gimme Back My Fifteen Cents. Pretty sure the skillet lickers recorded it at some point. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks.

For the notation of Byron Berline's solo on Gold Rush download the following, hundreds of fiddle versions of Monroe instrumentals. It's called Stoney Lonesome Fiddle tunes (or something like that).

http://www.stacyphillips.com/downloads.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    I've been wondering exactly how to go about finding out about copyrights. We're getting ready to record an old trad (I think) tune called Gimme Back My Fifteen Cents. Pretty sure the skillet lickers recorded it at some point. Does anyone have any info?
    For recording a song or tune, what you really need to find out is who owns the rights and whether or not you need to obtain a mechanical license. (Search the forum for exhaustive discussions on the topic.)

The licensing agent for most U.S. music is the Harry Fox Agency, and they have a public song search feature here:

http://www.harryfox.com/songfile/pub...blicsearch.jsp

I checked on "Gimme Back My Fifteen Cents" and it returned no results. That isn't necessarily conclusive evidence that you can go ahead and record the tune without a license, but it's a good start.

"Gold Rush" is listed as a Bill Monroe piece. It wasn't unusual for Bill to get the lion's share of credit for songs and tunes his bandmates helped work out or even composed outright.

To see if a song or tune is already acknowledged as in the public domain, try:

http://www.pdinfo.com/

A search there also resulted in no hits.

A search at the Folk Index attributed the song to the Binkley Brothers' Dixie Clodhoppers, but didn't indicate writer, copyright, or publishing rights. That wouldn't be unusual for old-time songw, many of which were based on or cobbled togther from older songs.

http://www.ibiblio.org/folkindex/kwframe.htm

A few more good-faith efforts with no results would probably suffice for you to attribute the tune to public domain.

Good luck.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    Tony Rice insists it's Berline's tune. Unless Byron fills us all in, it's just one of those fun exercises in futility.
    We already know what Berline said in public. We also have Roland White's testimony.
    What else do we need? Well, while preparing their book on Monroe, Wolfe and/or Rosenberg emailed Berline. His answer was that Monroe had the idea and Berline helped him shape it into an oldtime fiddle number. "I did not write the entire tune but I did help". He also contributed the outchorus. I believe this is on p. 158 of the book.

19. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

GTison 

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

And, as usual, the tune can be found in midi, tab and standard on mandozine
    Last edited by ralph johansson; Dec-02-2010 at 3:10am. Reason: duplicate

Ralph, would you be kind enough to give the link for mandozine? I searched the website, but couldn't find Gold Rush. I don't know where to look. I would especially prefer the standard notation. THanks for your time.
    Daniel Kaufman

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    We already know what Berline said in public. We also have Roland White's testimony.
    What else do we need? Well, while preparing their book on Monroe, Wolfe and/or Rosenberg emailed Berline. His answer was that Monroe had the idea and Berline helped him shape it into an oldtime fiddle number. "I did not write the entire tune but I did help". He also contributed the outchorus. I believe this is on p. 158 of the book.
    This reminds me a bit of the Kenny Baker, Jerusalem Ridge threads.
    Not good nor bad. It is what it is.

Both Berline & Baker are alive and kickin, and that's such a good thing.
    I'm entirely envious of those that sought them out.

23. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

GTison 

Gold Rush is a modern tune and as such I wouldn't expect it to be in the public domain.
    Musicians, whether they are writing or performing deserve to me credited (socially & financially) for their work. Recording peoples tunes and not paying the royalties is ....well, just wrong. There is an Aubrey Haynie recording of "Ookpik Waltz" that is credited to PD when it is commonly know in fiddle circles, that the tune was written by Frankie Rogers, (who was alive at the time)... That's my rant for today

25. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

As noted above, "Gold Rush" is listed in the Harry Fox songfile with credit (or publishing rights, anyways) going to Bill Monroe.

Learning the tune--and giving credit to Byron, Bill, et al--and playing it out is all perfectly legit (public-performance royalties are the obligation of the venue, not the performer). Recording that tune would require a license from Harry Fox with 9.1¢ per unit manufactured going to Mr. Monroe's publishing estate.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

27. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

here from Mandozine is 5 versions of Gold Rush. You can view it (hear it and print it) in tab or standard notation.
    "Ben Zoma said: Who is wise? He who learns from every man" Ethics of the Fathers

What is a TEF file and what is needed to open it? I've never seen this before.
    Daniel Kaufman

Download a TEFview Free TablEdit File Viewer from here.
    "Ben Zoma said: Who is wise? He who learns from every man" Ethics of the Fathers