Thread: Mysterious object by tailpiece

Default Mysterious object by tailpiece

I have a Regal mandolin from the 1920s that's been in the family since then. I seem to recall it having (years ago) a thick-ish piece of what I think was green felt (shaped a bit like a pick) under the tailpiece and strings on the top of the instrument where the strings go into the tailpiece. That was years ago, and it's not there now (my dad had it re-strung for me a number of years ago, so it may have departed then). Any idea what the felt would have been for?
    1920s Regal #1260 (I think)

"One lives in hopes."

“Just when you think you’ve scraped the bottom, you find you’re only scratching the surface.” - Steve Post

Default Re: Mysterious object by tailpiece

Felt was probably to dampen the sympathetic vibration of the strings south of the bridge.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:

Felt was used often as a damping device, as Nat says above. Not sure what you mean by "strings on the top of the instrument where the strings go into the tailpiece".
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

5. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

On some mandolins the tailpiece can be too close to top or touching it and cause rattles so folks insert leather or felt to damen it. Look at your mandolin to see what you have there
    Adrian

7. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Felt was used often as a damping device, as Nat says above. Not sure what you mean by "strings on the top of the instrument where the strings go into the tailpiece".
    John, I think you have to notice the word grouping for it to make sense.

"...green felt (shaped a bit like a pick) under the tailpiece and strings on the top of the instrument where the strings go into the tailpiece..."

Or that's the way I read it.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

You are right, Phil. I somehow added a comma after the word "tailpiece" in my reading of it - and I was a teacher of English for 35 years, although I have been retired for the past 14 years! I was thinking of those leather or other thongs that folk sometimes lace through the strings behind the bridge to stop vibrations.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Don't feel small, John, language is a jungle made for getting lost in.

For an example, I have put the sentence
    I seem to recall it having (years ago) a thick-ish piece of what I think was green felt (shaped a bit like a pick) under the tailpiece and strings on the top of the instrument where the strings go into the tailpiece.
    in Google Translate and translated it to German and back a few times until both versions were stable. The resulting English translation is
    I seem to remember that it was (a few years ago) a thick piece of what I think was green (shaped a bit like a pick) under the string holder and strings on the top of the instrument where the strings in the string holder.
    Nobody survives the Babylonian curse
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

12. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Could it by any chance actually be a felt pick left there by a previous owner? They do make those.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

14. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

It was inserted between the strings and the top and under the tailpiece.

- - - Updated - - -

"One lives in hopes."

“Just when you think you’ve scraped the bottom, you find you’re only scratching the surface.” - Steve Post

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    You are right, Phil. I somehow added a comma after the word "tailpiece" in my reading of it - and I was a teacher of English for 35 years, although I have been retired for the past 14 years! I was thinking of those leather or other thongs that folk sometimes lace through the strings behind the bridge to stop vibrations.
    Sometimes I think I acquired my sense of syntax from John Ruskin or William Morris (although one teacher I had in high school said it came from reading too much Tolkien). I also once taught English lit and composition (unfortunately, just for two years), but years of legal writing does a real number on one's style. Sorry it was confusing.
    I just remember the thing, whatever it was, being there when I was a kid (back when the world was young).

"One lives in hopes."