Thread: Wax on mandolin body?

Default Wax on mandolin body?

I have a mandolin from the 1920s. It's a bit scratched up. Is it safe to use a wax (like Daddy Van's or Goddard's) to protect the wood on the body, or is it a really bad idea? It got that way from my fooling with it when I was a kid, I think (mea culpa). On an up note, someone lightly scratched "I love you" in little letters on the back; I suspect my grandfather or my father. I was advised by the Newbies group to double-check over here; the consensus there was pretty much, "Don't", which I sort of thought might be the case. What think you?
    1920s Regal #1260 (I think)

"One lives in hopes."

“Just when you think you’ve scraped the bottom, you find you’re only scratching the surface.” - Steve Post

Default Re: Wax on mandolin body?

Since most of the wood instruments of that period were finished with some form of shellac, I would look for info about cleaning or recoating shellac. There are some experts here, you can find them by researching finish restoration.

3. The following members say thank you to Pablo Bosticio for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

I would advise against car wax. Especially on old instrument that can have some joints that are not tight (may be unnoticed for years). If the wax gets into the cracks or loose joints it can be nearly impossible to clean them and glue back together. Try just using deionized (distilled) water to clean up and if you think the mandolin needs more protection than you can give it by careful handling you can have the finish touched up by French polishing (if that matches original finish) or in other way.
    Adrian

5. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

It's always been very much frowned upon to use any polish containing ''Silicones'' on instruments in case they ever require a re-finish or 'whatever'. Several years back,i owned a guitar on which i'd used Silicone polish to clean if for years. I badly scratched the back on a belt buckle & it needed a touch up / re-finish. I took it to the luthier that i used to use ,& all he did was to lightly sand the finish on the back all over, & then re-spray it with a lacquer finish. The sanding completely removed any Silicone polish residue as well as prepare the back for the new lacquer.

These days,i use a Beezwax spray polish (NO Silicones) to clean my mandolins. I spray it onto a clean cotton cloth,wipe it on & immediately wipe it off. As long a the scratches on your mandolin aren't down to the wood ie. on the finish only,then you could use a similar polish just to clean it up,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Just curious- what kind of mandolin is this? Could you post pictures?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Adrian Minarovic

Ivan, had you polished the back over the scratch (to bare wood?) with the silicone he would have withesses major fisheye in the finish.
    Sanding removed the contaminated surface but it that thing gets into crack you can hardly clean it for gluing other than scrape/cut wood away with scalpel and splice strip of new wood... Or use some oil-tolerant glue (special epoxy?)
    Adrian

Hi Adrian - Fortunately,the scratch hadn't gone down to the wood,it was in the finish only. Sanding simply removed the scratch 'dent' & left the surface Silicone free.
    Here's a pic. of the re-finished back that i took just prior to selling the guitar - it's flawless !,
    IvanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	TW1000-SR 4.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	160992
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The stuff is was thinking of using is beeswax, olive oil, and carnauba wax, no solvents, according to the label.

"One lives in hopes."

“Just when you think you’ve scraped the bottom, you find you’re only scratching the surface.” - Steve Post

Paul Busman -- Sure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21743608_119548888709702_2217515435282050098_o.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	161003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913 The mandolin.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	627.1 KB 
ID:	161005

"One lives in hopes."

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gillane View Post
    The stuff is was thinking of using is beeswax, olive oil, and carnauba wax, no solvents, according to the label.
    Glue won't stick to any of those. Appreciate the look of fond usage.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

pops1:

"One lives in hopes."

This is what Breedlove says about their guitars and mandolins:

"Although we do not recommend a specific brand, many of our employees have been happy with Meguiar’s # 7 Show car glaze for polishing surface scratches. If you have deeper scratches then you may need to take your guitar into a technician to be buffed / sanded / then re-glossed. If you have a satin or semi gloss guitar, please do not use polish. When a polish is used on the satin it changes the appearance permanently creating gloss spots, the proper way to take care of this finish is simply to use a moist rag."
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

17. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post: