Thread: Hinde Mandolins

Default Hinde Mandolins

Anyone tried one? I've played a few. IMHO, they are very serious instruments. Incredible sounding and playing. Premium craftsmanship. I'd be interested in other comments and opinions. I know Rick Faris ( brother of Ed Faris of Ricky Skaggs' band) and member of Special Consensus, plays one. Not sure who else. Opinions?
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

Default Re: Hinde Mandolins

No personal knowledge. Here is the link to the website: http://www.hindecustominstruments.com/index.html
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Fyi, I've taken the plunge & ordered a custom lefty Mandolin from Steve Hinde (after recommendation from my teacher Keith Yoder).
    She'll be an asymmetrical 2 pointer with adirondack top (light tobacco sunburst) & torrefied maple back.
    2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin (on order)
    2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
    2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
    2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
    2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
    2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
    2008 Fender Telecaster

after recommendation from my teacher Keith Yoder
    Keith might get you doing a few hog calls along with the mando lessons but he would not lead you astray. Great instructor.

:-) yup....he's been a Kaufman Kamp favourite of mine for years & is great via Skype too
    2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin (on order)
    2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
    2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
    2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
    2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
    2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
    2008 Fender Telecaster

Have you determined color for your new purchase? If it's a natural or, light sunburst might it be considered a ...
    Wait for it...

"The Golden Hinde"

Sorry folks, I will go back to my corner now.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
    Anyone tried one? I've played a few. IMHO, they are very serious instruments. Incredible sounding and playing. Premium craftsmanship. I'd be interested in other comments and opinions. I know Rick Faris ( brother of Ed Faris of Ricky Skaggs' band) and member of Special Consensus, plays one. Not sure who else. Opinions?
    I purchased Steve Hinde's MF #7 build here on the Cafe classifieds a couple of years ago.
    It has been my daily driver since. I've lugged it all over the country and halfway around the world. With that kind of use and changes in environment, it stays in tune and I have never had any issue requiring a visit to a shop. It has good tone, volume, nice balance and responsiveness. You can play it hard or soft. I get lots of compliments at jams. Fit and finish are not on par with the premium builders....but I wasn't looking for eye candy.

9. The following members say thank you to Rick Duvernay for this post:

Nick Dumas, the current mando player with Special C plays one. He loves it.

11. The following members say thank you to banjoboy for this post:

I have Steve's MF #35, and I can hardly put it down. It's beautiful to look at, and an absolute joy to play. Every time I go to a jam, I have people commenting on its looks, and asking me if they can play it. Steve Hinde is a genuine craftsman, and knows how to make an instrument sing. The specs include: German Sruce top, flame maple back, radiused ebony fingerboard, ebony pickguard, stainless steel frets, speed neck, Waverly tuners, James Tailpiece, and all-round awesomeness. Click on the image for a closer look. Nick Dumas let me play his, and that sold me. He's in love with his (and now mine, also!). Jesse Smathers of Lonesome River Band is also now playing a Hinde.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF35.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	166967

13. The following members say thank you to Ranger Tommy for this post:

I have #9. It is Koa. Steve tells me it went on tour with Special Consesus. It replaced my Eastman 515 and it is the only mandolin I play. Steve had it on display at Harvest jam in Minneapolis a few years ago, I was looking to step up and when I played it I decided to buy it. I play in several bands and I play it all the time and It only gets better sounding.I had Matt Thompson from Monroe Crossing play it and he complemented it. I love it and I have had no problems with it at all.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."
    Tom Waits

I just heard Harry Clark from the Wooks playing one. Sounded great to me. There's some Youtube of him playing it.

I received my new Hinde 3 weeks ago. It's amazing. It plays very cleanly, has a really nice full chop, and I'm thrilled with it. It's the third one from the right in the photo. We had a Hinde owners' get-together at the Backbone Bluegrass Festival in Iowa and played together, but mostly just tried each others' mandolins!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hinde Mandolins.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	170239

I’m very excited to say I’ve got a Hinde on order. Steve has been absolutely wonderful to work with so far. He sends me pictures of updates along the way. I feel so lucky to be able to get one. Mine will be MF40. Can’t wait!
    Hinde MF #40